How's Queen's QC these days?

Interestingly, I like the recurve on the Queen stockmen. I have seen quite a few made between 2002 and 2015 and all of them had a recurve.
This makes me think that it is a deliberate feature, not simply the result of poor grinds. They look something between the Type A and Type B clip blade styles in the picture below:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/310648517995-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Regarding the poor grinds in recent Queen knives in general, I do not dispute any of the posts above.
Queen knives tend to have variable levels of fit & finish issues, but I find F&F issues on Case knives as well.
Overall, I like the Queen knives and prefer the D2 steel over The Case Thru Sharp 420 HC.

Hmmm...interesting. I've never looked into it before and this is my only S&M so I didn't know it may be part of the design. Maybe it's just mental, but that's comforting to know it's not just a screw up. Not sure why they would do it though. Like I said, it's a beautiful knife and has great fit and finish...

Not sure why they would do it though.

I think that a recurve actually helps in slicing, if it is done by a draw cut motion, moving the blade from near the tang towards the tip.
To achieve a similar effect, in many Case knives the whole blade is offset a little bit downwards - a feature I personally don’t like.
Opinel uses both features: the ‘yatagan’ style blade has a recurve and in addition it is also offset.

In the spirit of making a traditional pocket knife the traditional way I don’t see how it could be considered cutting corners when they aren’t using a modern “premium steel”. If that’s the case then anything less than the best is “cutting corners”. It all comes down to opinion I guess what’s the best in your eyes may not be the best in mine. I’ve had excellent experiences with 1095 and appreciate the history it has as a blade steel. I realize that there are steels that are widely considered to be better, but I’m content with my well ground 1095, versus a premium steel with a poor grinds.

This forum is a good example of how things are going for each company and Queen isn’t exactly knocking anything out of the park lately.

I've been told GEC's biggest reason for using 1095 is it's initial low cost and ease of use in many areas of production. This results in a lower cost of materials and production. So GEC slaps on some Giraffe bone covers and the price goes to $150, but the base frame is a $30 knife. That doesn't make me "content." I've found a few Queens good enough to buy, but have not yet seen a GEC that spoke to me enough to ride home in my pocket. For me GEC fit/finish is fine, except for the sunken rivets. I like Queen's designs much more than GEC's and am willing to put up with some fit/finish "difficulties" to get the better design and materials of some Queen products. So I'd agree that Queen may not be "knocking it out of the park" but I think it's untrue that they "suck" and GEC is the only alternative as posited by NewBlades16. I buy Case too, both the Bose and regular lines and American-made Buck.

I have never heard, even in conversations with the owner, that GEC chooses 1095 because of the cost of the steel. I also have not seen any downturn in the use of 1095 as a preferred carbon steel of many knifemakers. Matter of fact, Queen has started producing more 1095 variants proportionately in recent years - not less. The cost of the steel contained in a single blade would be nominal in relationship to the total expense of a completed knife. I do know that the owner of GEC has experience with every steel Queen used prior to 2007. Thus, if it is not the cost of the steel, one has to assume that the guy that owns the company and has more experience with the typical steels than most - might have his own reasons for using it. Not the least of which is that his products will not remain in stock these days and have a defect rate lower than any traditional maker I carry. We have many Queen made knives in stock, and some were the best knife made in their time. Matter of fact, even though their name was not on all of them, Queen made what I consider the best factory slipjoints in the two decades leading up to 2000.

It is curious that the measuring stick for costs is a giraffe bone.... Which GEC has never applied to their own general production products - thus has no control over retail pricing. Nor do they have a base model slipjoint for $30. But I understand this was simply for emphasis.

Last edited:
The $30 price was meant only to apply to the slabs of 1095 for spring&blade, brass liners, nickle silver bolster that is the base of a single blade GEC knife you buy.

I get that this is mostly subjective but to claim Queen quality is even in the ballpark with GEC makes me think one has an axe to grind with GEC for some reason.

I really really like the PH D2 steel in the Queens I have but in my mind there is no need to even compare them to any other knife. They are just sloppily built and they would appear so to me if I had never seen a GEC or Case or Buck or Schrade etc..
Worse built traditional knife I have ever owned was the Queen built 2009 forum knife. It didn't suck, it SUCKED. Just an awful knife.

I get that this is mostly subjective but to claim Queen quality is even in the ballpark with GEC makes me think one has an axe to grind with GEC for some reason.

I really really like the PH D2 steel in the Queens I have but in my mind there is no need to even compare them to any other knife. They are just sloppily built and they would appear so to me if I had never seen a GEC or Case or Buck or Schrade etc..
Worse built traditional knife I have ever owned was the Queen built 2009 forum knife. It didn't suck, it SUCKED. Just an awful knife.
Don't be shy, tell me how you really feel. lol.

Don't be shy, tell me how you really feel. lol.

Already did
Too bad the photos are all gone. Maybe I will break out my old hard drive and dig them up. I took a picture through the gap I was describing and you could read the score of the baseball game on tv through the gap. I'm not making that up.
Queen customer service is just wonderful as well. So if you have a problem with a Queen knife you really have two problems unless you bought new and the dealer will take it back.

Anyway, that linked thread speaks for itself.

there have been queen/s&m knives that ive had to refinish myself. extensively detailed on the flaws a while back. how off the grinds were, how much the kick protruded, things like that

Already did
Too bad the photos are all gone. Maybe I will break out my old hard drive and dig them up. I took a picture through the gap I was describing and you could read the score of the baseball game on tv through the gap. I'm not making that up.
Queen customer service is just wonderful as well. So if you have a problem with a Queen knife you really have two problems unless you bought new and the dealer will take it back.

Anyway, that linked thread speaks for itself.
Sorry you didn't see through my sarcasm. I fully understand the frustration of a product not living up to expectations.

I can't say too much on this subject since I have very few Queen knives. That said, the ones I do have met all my expectations. They were all well made with very few flaws, if any.

FLymon FLymon , The 2009 Queen Barlow that I received was as nice as any forum knife I've purchased to date and nicer then some of them. The thing that bothers me about your experience is the lack of customer service you received. I spent my life in the construction business, as an electronic systems contractor. After installation customer service will make or break a company. In this day of social media the word gets out pretty quickly, especially the negatives, and can just as quickly kill a business. I hope they realize that.

I've recently purchased some great Queens, some okay Queens, and some lemon Queens. Luck of the draw, I guess. I won't throw them totally under the bus, since I could theoretically pick a good one from a pile of Queens. But since I don't have access to a brick & mortar store that sells Queen, I'm not really looking to Queen for knives at this point in time, unless a seller can assure me of the quality. It's too bad, as I would go Queen crazy in a heartbeat, if the average sample was of better quality.

I have several Queens, made in the 90's to the early 2000's. They are really well made knives. I haven't bought any Queen knives in years, so I don't know how they are now. But I'm glad I read this thread, because I have been looking at some of their latest knives and I like them. But without seeing them first hand I don't know anymore.

I've recently purchased some great Queens, some okay Queens, and some lemon Queens. Luck of the draw, I guess. I won't throw them totally under the bus, since I could theoretically pick a good one from a pile of Queens. But since I don't have access to a brick & mortar store that sells Queen, I'm not really looking to Queen for knives at this point in time, unless a seller can assure me of the quality. It's too bad, as I would go Queen crazy in a heartbeat, if the average sample was of better quality.

Even after my experience with them I feel exactly the same way about Queen. I wish I could trust them sight unseen. Nice patterns, GREAT steel in the D2 and the price is right. Too bad they are so hit and miss.

I get that this is mostly subjective but to claim Queen quality is even in the ballpark with GEC makes me think one has an axe to grind with GEC for some reason...

No axe with GEC here to grind. I do have two hatchets though :) One is for GB&U threads in the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades subforum. Second is the over-the-top fandom of some GEC owners and dealers. Flymon, I have Queen made knives that would put GEC to shame IMHO. Again, not all people think GEC designs, especially with their 1095 steel and sunken rivets, are that appealing. I don't think the term "suck" belongs in the Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades subforum attached to the Queen company. Suck means "be very bad, disagreeable, or disgusting." I see Queen knives at every gun show, some good, some not so good, but many are fine knives and I'm happy to own the few that have tickled my fancy.

The question asked was how is Queen's QC these days?

After 10 pages it seems that the majority of people think it leaves a lot to be desired, still. This is not some conspiracy of Queen haters determined to uncritically crow up the merits of GEC or any other company . Far from it, most of us, myself included have expressed hope or have had decent Queen knives-mostly from the past it appears. GEC's QC is simply vastly superior and seems to be even improving (no I don't like their carbon dogma and the total absence of stainless this year). I live outside the USA so naturally I have to pay higher shipping costs than most of you, I also have to pay 25% import tax on the whole sum shipping included and the Euro has been depreciating against the Dollar. So I literally know about the expensive consequences of getting a bad knife or trying to send it back which will cost a lot too. I don't hesitate with GEC, I might not like the pattern after all but I'm confident in quality consistency so I can re-sell it or trade. I can't with Queen knives, that's my proof of the pudding being in the eating.

See my post in this thread No.88 just about a year ago a brand new knife costing around 100 USD plus the extras I'mentioned, just pitiful. I haven't dared try one since and I fear I'm not alone.

Thanks, Will

FWIW, I have been reading some very positive comments about a variety of the #40’s, Gunstocks, that have been coming out ,in a nice choice of steels-D2, 1095, ATS-34, and CPM 154. The QC is hit and miss, admittedly, having a reliable relationship with your knife purveyor(s) can help, if they are willing to do some checking. GEC makes some splendid knives, but their reluctance to use anything but 1095(I know they will use 440C-but rarely anymore) makes me want to steer clear of many of their offerings. When I get a Queen in D2, properly ground by me or the factory, I know I’ve got a knife that’s gonna be a long time user. I can’t afford to buy knives just cause they’re pretty (not often, anyhow :rolleyes:), mine almost always are users. If GEC would start using D2, with which Mr. Howard has a great deal of experience, I dare say they would have a life long customer in me. As it stands, I’d much prefer to do a bit of work to get what I consider knives worth handing down. I do wish more dealers would let you know if what you’re looking at is new stock or nos. Some Queen dealers will mention it, knowing that the market is aware of QC problems from different time spans. @PirateSeulb -check out A.G. Russell for your toothpick, iirc, they might have a pretty nifty two bladed short run.
Thanks, Neal

FWIW, I have been reading some very positive comments about a variety of the #40’s, Gunstocks, that have been coming out ,in a nice choice of steels-D2, 1095, ATS-34, and CPM 154. The QC is hit and miss, admittedly, having a reliable relationship with your knife purveyor(s) can help, if they are willing to do some checking. GEC makes some splendid knives, but their reluctance to use anything but 1095(I know they will use 440C-but rarely anymore) makes me want to steer clear of many of their offerings. When I get a Queen in D2, properly ground by me or the factory, I know I’ve got a knife that’s gonna be a long time user. I can’t afford to buy knives just cause they’re pretty (not often, anyhow :rolleyes:), mine almost always are users. If GEC would start using D2, with which Mr. Howard has a great deal of experience, I dare say they would have a life long customer in me. As it stands, I’d much prefer to do a bit of work to get what I consider knives worth handing down. I do wish more dealers would let you know if what you’re looking at is new stock or nos. Some Queen dealers will mention it, knowing that the market is aware of QC problems from different time spans. @PirateSeulb -check out A.G. Russell for your toothpick, iirc, they might have a pretty nifty two bladed short run.
Thanks, Neal

But, if the QC is hit & miss and you have to rely on dealers to sort you out a good one (some might not want to and some might get fed up with having to send stuff back to the maker....) then it simply is not a long term credible position for any company.o_O

I agree with you about GEC should use D2 I like the Queen D2 knives a lot but QC is everything, especially as Queen prices seem to be on the climb:rolleyes:

Back