HTM Knives...why aren't they more popular??

I was just over at the HTM Knives website for the first time and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with what I saw. Some very cool designs in both blade shapes and handle scales. 100% American made, top-notch materials (S35VN!) combined with awesome designers (Darrel Ralph, Greg Lightfoot, among others) and I'm wondering why I never see any of these knives here on the forums?? I'm looking real hard at the Torpedo and Gunhammer models and my wallet is getting nervous...

shark800_medium.jpg

X-MFDRAGEDTH_large_84690.jpg

I dunno what others opinions are but I love HTM Knives.

I have both the Snap and the Bullwhip.

And both are solid assisted knives that use good materials and feel great in hand.

I've been thinking about picking up a Gunhammer as well.

IMO they are def worth the money and are good choices.

There's a few reasons, notably the poor QC that happened for a while on the Gunhammer's and the fiasco with the forum knife. That being said, I was quite pleased with my Gunhammer. I accidentally received an assisted version that developed lock rock quickly, so I sent it off to HTM. They replaced it with one with the Maxx Glide system, which had pretty much the most perfect flipping action I've ever experienced. That being said, I just sold it because I never warmed up to the thickness of the handle, which is actually surprisingly short. I have medium sized hands, and it still felt too small.

No one can knock their designs though, the Gunhammer/Snap/Mad Maxx are all fantastic.

There's a few reasons, notably the poor QC that happened for a while on the Gunhammer's and the fiasco with the forum knife. That being said, I was quite pleased with my Gunhammer. I accidentally received an assisted version that developed lock rock quickly, so I sent it off to HTM. They replaced it with one with the Maxx Glide system, which had pretty much the most perfect flipping action I've ever experienced. That being said, I just sold it because I never warmed up to the thickness of the handle, which is actually surprisingly short. I have medium sized hands, and it still felt too small.

No one can knock their designs though, the Gunhammer/Snap/Mad Maxx are all fantastic.

I think the QC slip up was due to HTM moving to a new factory, but I believe that those responsible for the slip up have been replaced.

TacOpsEDC, yeah I'm also looking at the Bulllwhip too. How long have you had it and is it a user? Of the two (Snap & Bullwhip) which one do you like better? Pics would be great!

Misanthropia, I'm totally unaware of the fiasco with the forum knife. Care to fill me in?

I have been tempted too, but after browsing HTM's forum I was immediately turned off.

Personally, I've found more desirable knives in that price bracket for my tastes.

I don't do assisted open, coated blades or recurves so that makes a pretty big dent in their lineup...at least the last time I checked.

From a more outside perspective, it seems that the QC problems at HTM were due to the move to a new shop. They relocated to Texas from Ohio I believe. The QC problems were all kinds of things from lack of sharp blades to poor fit and finish to blade play - you name it. There was a disconnect in what the quality that was what needed to be coming out of the shop. Turns out, most if not all of that QC team got "let go" and things are looking up.

Now, on to the forum knife.

A pure disaster, again from the eyes of an outsider. I didn't purchase one, but watched almost the whole thing unfold. There wasn't clear communication on EXACTLY what was wanted on the blades and how it was to be presented. The blades were stamped with "S90" instead of S90V, and seemingly they were stamped before stonewashing, and with the rough stonewashing they recieved - more than a few of the pieces came out very faded, almost gone. Add to this, some unclear communication on blade steel exclusivity, and the fact that the non-exclusive blade steel came out at another retailer before the forum knife did soured things a bit.

All of this with really, really, reeeeallllllly poor communication. I mean you don't have to baby the forum and update them when you go tinkle, but once a week would be appreciated.

All this being said, I would TOTALLY pick up one of the new prototypes i'm seeing on Darrell Ralph's twitter. 3.5" Gunhammer Ti Framelock w/ Carbon Fiber front Scale

Yeah the forum knife was a bit disappointing in how it was handled. But, my forum knife is perfect, and from a mechanical standpoint its amazing. The lockup is solid and the Maxx Glide is very smooth. It flips like a champ and feels as tough as any other folder I own.

The forum knife price was a bit high looking back, though. Not sure I would do it again if I could wind the clock back.

I was looking into the Gunhammers after hearing that they were incredibly smooth flippers. The more and more I looked into them I started hearing multiple stories of poor QC and just plain disappointment. It was enough to have me steer clear for now at least.

I want to pick up a Madd Maxx 5.5 assisted but can't really find one at the moment. I saw them at a show in Dallas and even some of the knives they had on display had QC issues. Nice stuff, but at the price point they should be near perfect.

I still want the MM 5.5 though! The assisted version is VERY fast and fun.

I was looking into the Gunhammers after hearing that they were incredibly smooth flippers. The more and more I looked into them I started hearing multiple stories of poor QC and just plain disappointment. It was enough to have me steer clear for now at least.
Yeah, in fact, I probably should have done a bit more research myself before I started this thread. I had no idea there were so many negative experiences associated with HTM Knives, especially with vertical bladeplay. I guess I just got really impressed by their website and their really neat designs and the fact that they use some very good steels. But I guess now I know the answer to my original question. Definitely going to hold off on HTM for now.

I am pretty sure the entire QC staff has been replaced. As far as customer service goes Darrell Ralph is always accommodating and I have never had any issues dealing with Lacey when purchasing items from them..

I am pretty sure the entire QC staff has been replaced. As far as customer service goes Darrell Ralph is always accommodating and I have never had any issues dealing with Lacey when purchasing items from them..

Ditto. I've had very good experiences with Lacey and their CS. I bought a DDR American Patriot kit that had some QC issues. All the parts in question were replaced at no charge and when I couldn't get the bearing system in correctly I sent it in to them And they did it for me, also at no charge.

Back