I can't give up the Classic SD

MililaniGrown

Gold Member
Rambler for me. I usually pair it with a larger knife but I recently went on a 2 week trip to another urban/suburban area with nothing but my Rambler and you know what I was fine. Used the scissors a couple times, used the knife a couple of times, used the bottle opener a bunch of times :D Prior posts really speak the truth re: want vs need.

Knives&Lint Knives&Lint How do you pop off the scales without ruining them. I've only tried replacing the scales once and ruined the old scales. Very cool Mexican Zarape Rambler!

afishhunter

Gold Member
Now that I am retired, I might try the SD Classic.
During my working decades I carried a SAK "Signature" for the reserve/backup ink pen, and scissors.
I still have the Signature on my key ring.

I must admit, I have always carrried multiple knives. Usually a stockman, 4 blade Scout/Camp/Demo knife or SAK Huntsman, and a Buck 110 or similar.
Like Wild Willie Wild Willie said in post number 5, the Signature/Classic blade just doen't do it for me 99.x times a day. I need the larger blade of the stockman, scout/camp and whatever else I have on me.

For many years, my most used blade has been the punch/awl, followed by a spey/budding, and sheepsfoot blades when the job required gardening or eletrical work.
Most used "blade" on the Signature and Huntsman was/is the scissors. (the saw on my huntsman got a lot of use, as well.)

Knives&Lint

Not NOT licking toads
Platinum Member
Knives&Lint Knives&Lint How do you pop off the scales without ruining them. I've only tried replacing the scales once and ruined the old scales. Very cool Mexican Zarape Rambler!

Many thanks!

IIRC (I often don't ;) ), I've always used a classic blade. I start off in the tweezers/toothpick slot, then carefully work the blade in. Once I get the blade between the scales and frame (going very slowly), I very delicately pry until the scales finally give way. I have put some small marks on scales while doing it, but no major damage so far.

Rambler for me. I usually pair it with a larger knife but I recently went on a 2 week trip to another urban/suburban area with nothing but my Rambler and you know what I was fine. Used the scissors a couple times, used the knife a couple of times, used the bottle opener a bunch of times :D Prior posts really speak the truth re: want vs need.

After removing all the scale tools I keep the knife in hot water (not too hot, just hot to the touch) for two minutes. Then use a small blade of another SAK to pop it off.