I can't give up the Classic SD

Carl do you still keep your Classic in the sheath on your keyring? I'm trying to find a different method of carry so that I don't lose these things so often.

Yes!

I tried pocket carry, but went back to the leather keyring sheath. That is predicable and I ALWAYS know where it is and its easy access. Leaving the house, or business whatever, if I have my wallet and keyring, I know I have it all!!!!!

Last edited:
It's the Rambler for me, rather than the Classic SD. Although I still carry other knives, it's the Rambler that does 90+% of what I need a knife to do. The simple addition of the cap lifter/Phillips driver to the Classic SD makes the Rambler the perfect EDC knife, everything I actually need, and nothing I don't. The Classic SD I have left over from I don't even know what/when sits on my nightstand, and gets used to trim my nails, so I don't have to dig into my handbag for the Rambler, even though my handbag is right next to me, as well.

All of my EDC gear lives inside a small 3x5" black Martha Stewart zipper pouch I picked up off the Staples clearance rack, inside my handbag.

Felix is a brilliant guy. I love that man for his clear and very pragmatic thinking. If he's going in the woods, he needs a woods, but around town in his daily life, the 58mm is fine. He reminds me a lot of my friend Howard. Howard is a crusty old west Texas guy, who spent a great deal of his life as an oil field rough neck. That the guy doing dirty and hard work on drill rigs and oil pumping platforms. Howard loves to hunt and fish, and I got to know him through our Thursday morning old fart breakfasts. With Howard, Bill and myself, we've spent a lot of time on the banks of the San Gabriel river trying to outsmart the fish. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes not.

But...I found out by observation and a few questions, Howards favorite pocket knife is a classic. By accident, he said. Howard is one of those old guys who if he's going huntin' will carry a 'huntin' knife. If he goes fishing, he caries a 'fishin' knife. If he's just around town, he always carried a little Buck mini buck because it was small enough to go in his coin pocket and not be noticed, and was cheap enough at Walmart to easily replace. He used up/broke them every few years.

One year Walmart was out of his favorite mini buck. They had the little Victorinox classic for the same price. Howard bough one only intended to use it until he got another mini Buck. But he "got used to" as he put it, the small SD tip, the scissors, even the tweezers. He tore one up in a few years and ent back to Walmart and got another classic. He's carried a classic in his coin/watch pocket of his jeans ever since. And this is guy who doesn't like changes. He shoots the same old Colt single action army he bought when he was in his 20's, and he's 80 now. He goes 'huntin' with the same old Winchester 94 in 30-30 he bought in the same time period. Those are his only guns. Howard doesn't change much, but he switched to a classic by accident and been there ever since. Like Howard says, "Don't need much knife to open a package."

To be fair to Howard, it's kind of hard to go wrong with a Colt SAA and a Winchester 94. I mean, those are classics for a good reason. Now, for me, I'd prefer a Ruger Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894, but it's the same idea.

I have a bit of fondness for the Classic SD, simply because it was my first genuine Victorinox SAK back in high school. I still find it to be a handy all-in-one tool for building model airplanes, with its precise and pointy blade, small file, and scissors. But I don't carry one, because I find the Classic's handle to be too short for me to feel comfortable and safe using the blade. I can only fit two fingers around the handle; if I try to hold it in three fingers, my index finger ends up on the (tiny!) ricasso. My default choice for a small pocket knife is a Schrade (USA) Old Timer 104OT.
Here's a tip for better ergonomics when using the 58mm Vics:
open the Philips head driver, nail file or whatever non-sharp tool sits opposite the tool you are using.
That way you gain an extension to the handle and thus a better grip.

Carl do you still keep your Classic in the sheath on your keyring? I'm trying to find a different method of carry so that I don't lose these things so often.
I keep my Rambler on a piece of paracord around my neck inside my shirt or t-shirt (paired with a 3-button cell LED mini flash light). Doesn't show and I don't feel it. But it is always at hand along a good piece of paracord for some impromptu repairs.

Here's a tip for better ergonomics when using the 58mm Vics:
open the Philips head driver, nail file or whatever non-sharp tool sits opposite the tool you are using.
That way you gain an extension to the handle and thus a better grip.
I'm aware of that trick, but it's not possible with the Classic because the nail file and blade are on the same pivot. The scissors are the tool on the opposite side.

I don’t understand this love for the classic. I mean I’m always changing out the knife in my right front pocket.

Really the only constant in my life is… The knife in my left front pocket. The classic of course. And if I’m being honest with myself whenever I forget that knife in the right front pocket, the classic always handles whatever I need. 99.99% of the time. When we moved my son into college this past August, I only had the classic in my pocket. College campuses nowadays seem to frown on knives. Anyways we needed to tear down a couple boxes that were used to move him in. That classic tore down those cardboard boxes better than most of my larger knives. Except for my Opinel number 8 or my florist SAK.

I keep dabbling with that other knife in the right front pocket. Sometimes it’s a modern knife, but typically it’s a Barlow or Stockman. I know I don’t need them but I like the nostalgia I guess.

For quite some time I was carrying a rambler but realized even though it’s certainly not taking up much real estate, the classic, for me, is all I really need. I can handle Phillips screws just fine with the SD tip. I treat that knife pretty harshly and have yet to break one.

You guys got me thinking about a Bantam…for the RFP (right front pocket). Do you find the combo tool can handle philips (using one corner of the tool I suppose)? I sure wish the Alox knives had a toothpick. I know I can put one in my wallet but I like having it on my knife and I’m the rare individual that actually uses those toothpicks.

Before reading this thread tonight, I had my full size case trapper sitting out ready for tomorrows RFP.

I tried but am not a keychain carry kind of guy. I like my classic in my left front pocket covered with a blue handkerchief.

I don’t understand this love for the classic. I mean I’m always changing out the knife in my right front pocket.

Really the only constant in my life is… The knife in my left front pocket. The classic of course. And if I’m being honest with myself whenever I forget that knife in the right front pocket, the classic always handles whatever I need. 99.99% of the time. When we moved my son into college this past August, I only had the classic in my pocket. College campuses nowadays seem to frown on knives. Anyways we needed to tear down a couple boxes that were used to move him in. That classic tore down those cardboard boxes better than most of my larger knives. Except for my Opinel number 8 or my florist SAK.

I keep dabbling with that other knife in the right front pocket. Sometimes it’s a modern knife, but typically it’s a Barlow or Stockman. I know I don’t need them but I like the nostalgia I guess.

For quite some time I was carrying a rambler but realized even though it’s certainly not taking up much real estate, the classic, for me, is all I really need. I can handle Phillips screws just fine with the SD tip. I treat that knife pretty harshly and have yet to break one.

You guys got me thinking about a Bantam…for the RFP (right front pocket). Do you find the combo tool can handle philips (using one corner of the tool I suppose)? I sure wish the Alox knives had a toothpick. I know I can put one in my wallet but I like having it on my knife and I’m the rare individual that actually uses those toothpicks.

Before reading this thread tonight, I had my full size case trapper sitting out ready for tomorrows RFP.

I tried but am not a keychain carry kind of guy. I like my classic in my left front pocket covered with a blue handkerchief.

Ah Dean, yes the bantam will handle Phillips screws with fine panache and excellence. The inner corner works like a champ and I've used it many many times for such. No, the alox doesn't have the toothpick, but thats what team work is for. The alox bantam makes a fine team mate for the ever present classic. Thats the way I work the classic; as a permanent team member of a team that has some rotating 'other' members. Sometimes an alox bantam, sometimes my Christy knife, sometimes a Vic florist knife. I really love the florist knife because it cuts like the dickens. Like a freshly sharpened Opinel. Scary sharp.

No matter what is in my pocket that day, the classic is ALWAYS in it keyring sheath for whatever comes up. If the classic can't handle it, then the Vic florist knife will. But if I stumble out off the house in the morning with just my wallet and keys, I'm still pretty well equipped for the day. A pocket and a bandana will work too! :thumbsup:

I have the classic teamed up with the florist this am. Can’t tell I’m even carrying one knife…much less two. Great combo. I was thinking the biggest job I have that the classic might struggle with a bit is cutting those zip ties that hold kids toys inside the packaging. The florist lives for those kinds of tasks.

I have the classic teamed up with the florist this am. Can’t tell I’m even carrying one knife…much less two. Great combo. I was thinking the biggest job I have that the classic might struggle with a bit is cutting those zip ties that hold kids toys inside the packaging. The florist lives for those kinds of tasks.

And while the Classic can handle many clamshell tasks - it is not especially well suited to do so, depending on the particular packaging configuration.

Just speed read the whole thread; the one knife I have always carried is the classic on my keychain. It has never let me down. The tools complement each other so well that I usually never need anything else. I've been doing more office jobs, so classic never attracts negative attention. Folks are usually happy when the diminutive classic saves the day. Mine was purchased used, probably resold from the TSA heap of confiscated knives. It's still as good as the day I first laid hands on it.

Last edited:
I lately gave my alox classic to my girlfriend (wich she likes a lot) but I started to miss mine so I ordered one for myself. I plan to carry it as my main carry because lately I have not only felt burned out with knives but also because I just realistically I just cannot see myself needing anything more on my dog walks and day to day life. Renovations, camping, special occasions… that´s when I can carry special knife or multitool but that doesn´t mean I have to carry one all the time. At work I have my work knife.

I lately gave my alox classic to my girlfriend (wich she likes a lot) but I started to miss mine so I ordered one for myself. I plan to carry it as my main carry because lately I have not only felt burned out with knives but also because I just realistically I just cannot see myself needing anything more on my dog walks and day to day life. Renovations, camping, special occasions… that´s when I can carry special knife or multitool but that doesn´t mean I have to carry one all the time. At work I have my work knife.

That is my conclusion I came to years ago. How much knife/tool do I need going about my day, picking up the dry cleaning, running to Home Depot for a home project, or walking the dog in the park or around the neighborhood?

If I'm going hiking in a more remote/wooded area, then I carry a fixed blade. If I go fishing, I carry the same fixed blade. If I'm working on a hime project, I have the old Stanley 99 in the toolbox that also has real tools. Before I retired, I had all the tools I needed in my toolbox in the machine shop. That included a sliding blade utility knife.

For modern suburbia. an inch and a half to two inch blade is fine. Heck, a razor blade will open most packages.

In the past I did carry a Classic, but to be honest, I find the penalty in size too big. A 75 or 84 SAK is much more useful in my opinion but still small and light enough for daily pocket carry.

Classic SD in my pocket first thing in the morning for 40+ years, then my other knife du jour. Love all these testimonies.

In the past I did carry a Classic, but to be honest, I find the penalty in size too big. A 75 or 84 SAK is much more useful in my opinion but still small and light enough for daily pocket carry.

I totally agree with you, but for some very odd and unfathomable reason, Victorinox chose to push the 58mm's by making them both super available in many venues, while at the same time, keeping the 74mm executive and ambassador rare and more expensive than a classic and recruit combo. Why Victorinox chose the path they did with the 74mm's, like treat ing them like the red headed step child, is beyond me.

Pretty much every Target, Walmart, and sports stores has the classic on the peg board shelf for all of 11.95, while the executive was a 30some dollar rare one that had to be ordered over the 'net.

I totally agree with you, but for some very odd and unfathomable reason, Victorinox chose to push the 58mm's by making them both super available in many venues, while at the same time, keeping the 74mm executive and ambassador rare and more expensive than a classic and recruit combo. Why Victorinox chose the path they did with the 74mm's, like treat ing them like the red headed step child, is beyond me.

Pretty much every Target, Walmart, and sports stores has the classic on the peg board shelf for all of 11.95, while the executive was a 30some dollar rare one that had to be ordered over the 'net.
Yes, I think the 74mm line would have had much more potential than the 58 line. Even the old 65 Wenger line was more useful. Still though, I do respect the Classic and the 58 family members. And I recognise its usefulness to many, many, many (non-knife) folks. I am simply 'spoiled' by the 84 line and especially the Recruit that I know so well. And the 84 line useally has a small blade too which is basically the same blade as on the 58's.

Yes, I think the 74mm line would have had much more potential than the 58 line. Even the old 65 Wenger line was more useful. Still though, I do respect the Classic and the 58 family members. And I recognise its usefulness to many, many, many (non-knife) folks. I am simply 'spoiled' by the 84 line and especially the Recruit that I know so well. And the 84 line useally has a small blade too which is basically the same blade as on the 58's.

If there was an 84 with scissors and nail file, I'd be carrying it. Especially a cadet X!

If there was an 84 with scissors and nail file, I'd be carrying it. Especially a cadet X!
The Sportsman comes close. The new style nail file which was introduced some years ago is very useful. But no scissors sadly. Perhaps Leatherman offers something with a good file and good scissors in package about the same size as a 84 Vic? I am not familiar with their products since I am a dedicated Victorinox fanboy :)

Back