I can't give up the Classic SD

The Sportsman comes close. The new style nail file which was introduced some years ago is very useful. But no scissors sadly. Perhaps Leatherman offers something with a good file and good scissors in package about the same size as a 84 Vic? I am not familiar with their products since I am a dedicated Victorinox fanboy :)

That is why over the past 7 years, the Leatherman squirt has been taking over the spot I usually filled with a 58mm SAK. The squirt gives me small scissors that work, but are a bit short of the quality of the Victorinox, the smooth side of the two sided file is smooth enough that it makes a great nail file, the blade while the same length of the 58mm blade, is substantially more rugged and has a chisel grind that gets shaving sharp an can actually do way more heavy duty cutting than you would think it capable of. Add in the small pliers that a fumble finger arthritis senior citizen finds very very useful, and its replaced es the small SAK at this stage of my life. Teamed up with a bantam, I have a bigger blade for cutting sandwiches in half, or slicing a baguette and cheese.

I have carried a SAK Classic in my watch pocket paired with another knife for several years now until recently. Mainly for the file and scissors. About a month ago I put the classic in a sheath on my key rings so I have it close by but not in my pocket. I don't carry my keys in my pocket when I'm at work or at home. I thought it would bother me not having the classic immediately accessible but I've actually been just fine. While having the scissors and file are very nice, I've found day to day I can get by without them. I'm able to cut tags off clothing (my biggest use of the scissors with 4 kids) with my Tourist main blade. While the scissors are nice for your nails as is the file, typically I can wait to use clippers or a file at home. My wife has them everywhere. So lately I've only had my Tourist in pocket. It's quickly become my favorite knife and has handled everything I need. If there is a situation (like repairing the carburetor on snowblower) that the SAK cannot handle...well there really is no knife that could handle it. Time for the proper tool at that point. But for most day to day tasks as a middle aged father, the Tourist is perfect. I do like the Sportsman and could be convinced to carry that one instead...I used to actually. But I just really like the small blade on the Tourist.

I have carried a SAK Classic in my watch pocket paired with another knife for several years now until recently. Mainly for the file and scissors. About a month ago I put the classic in a sheath on my key rings so I have it close by but not in my pocket. I don't carry my keys in my pocket when I'm at work or at home. I thought it would bother me not having the classic immediately accessible but I've actually been just fine. While having the scissors and file are very nice, I've found day to day I can get by without them. I'm able to cut tags off clothing (my biggest use of the scissors with 4 kids) with my Tourist main blade. While the scissors are nice for your nails as is the file, typically I can wait to use clippers or a file at home. My wife has them everywhere. So lately I've only had my Tourist in pocket. It's quickly become my favorite knife and has handled everything I need. If there is a situation (like repairing the carburetor on snowblower) that the SAK cannot handle...well there really is no knife that could handle it. Time for the proper tool at that point. But for most day to day tasks as a middle aged father, the Tourist is perfect. I do like the Sportsman and could be convinced to carry that one instead...I used to actually. But I just really like the small blade on the Tourist.
So much truth in this. I too have found the scissors and nail file to be 'nice to have', but not essential. That leaves the blade (of which I am a big fan). The small blade on a classic however, can easily be replaced by the small blade on many 84's like the Tourist you mentioned. Or the Recruit which I happen to carry pretty much daily. As much as I like the Classic, it doesn't serve a purpose in my day to day life. For this reason I no longer carry one.

Back