I need help with a d*#n coyote

That's cool. If I fired a shotgun in the general vicinity of the coyotes, I'd prolly still be in jail. I gotta get out of the suburbs.

I'm sorry to have to say this. Your cats are not supposed to be outside killing birds, rabbits and snakes. It is not acceptable. I'm with the others, keep them inside.

I'm sorry but many outdoors people, as well as animal rights people (whom I never agree with) feel very strongly about this. Most states have laws that say the season is open on domestic pets that harass or kill wildlife. The coyotes belong there, your cats don't. Please keep them inside.

Here's the other thing you may not realize. There are plenty more coyotes, as long as there are cats to eat, more more coyotes can come in to fill the void you created when you killed some. You might have to go into full time coyote killing.

Also, have you checked state regs to see if it is legal to kill coyotes. There are likely to be seasons and bag limits as well as license requirements for the taking of coyotes and all fur bearers.

Bah. Coyotes need to stay away from houses. Kill them on sight. No fear of ever endangering their population.

After firing the 12 gauge in the general direction of the screaming coyotes, bothering my dogs I have heard nothing more from them, despite hanging a whole chicken on a rope , from a bent over sapling, 4 nights ago they haven't touched it. Maybe, they really are very smart.
Musta nailed one

Cat owners will moan and cry when puss turns up missing and argue their cats have a "right" to hunt on everybody's property. I've been down that road before and you can't convince some of them at all to keep their precious cats up. I'm no cat hater but, I have to contain my hounds and if I don't they're going to be shot by conservation officers, if they are seen killing wildlife. A cat should not be any different, even if the protected wildlife they destroy is often smaller and they're sneakier about the killing, than a pack of hounds.

How many animals do cats kill a year?
Cats Kill Billions of Animals Annually, Study Finds. Cats are responsible for the deaths of 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.9 to 20.7 billion mammals every year, according to research conducted by the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.Jan 30, 2013
Cats Kill Billions of Animals Annually, Study Finds - ABC News
abcnews.go.com/Technology/cats-kill-billions-animals-annually-study-finds/story?...

There is no closed season on coyotes where I live if you have a valid hunting license. Nor is there a bag limit. Not that I would ever get one. Mind you all I was basically asking questions for advice when I opened this. I have taken no action at this time.
My kitties are in an outdoor enclosure when they go out so the big bad coyote doesn't get them. You will not stop the roaming of all kitties or the taking of what's considered by most, a nuisance, coyotes, when they take up residence, smack dab in ruralville.

Last edited:
I bought this coyote trap and looks like I'm not going to have to use it, which is a relief because I don't like to use these kind of traps. But, I also will not put up with coyotes messing with my dogs. So, as long as they stay away, live and let live.

1593xs.jpg

Hang a treble hook from a line that is baited, hang it high enough where the critter will have to leave his front paws by quite a bit. Not very humane but effective. You'll have one pissed off coyote when you check your trap

This is very good at catching all kinds of things. I use this method at ground level along game trails. You will catch coons, opossum, skunk, and anything else even coyotes and domestic dog.
You could always try the tampon soaked in beacon grease. They eat it and it gets clogged in stomach and or intestines. Put up some trail cams to make sure it isn't something or someone else getting your cats

As several others have touched upon, keep cats inside the house.

Cats - feral and pets (no such thing as a 'tame' cat) - wreak havoc on and kill staggering numbers of small birds/critters each year.

In America, cats - feral and pets - kill 1.3 to 4 billion birds a year.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cats-kill-more-one-billion-birds-each-year

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ca5fa7ebe79_story.html?utm_term=.8325610fefd1

In Australia, cats kill one million birds a day thus pushing some Aussie species to extinction.

The pattern of killing is the same every where, there are cats.

http://www.newsweek.com/cats-birds-australia-677274

Australia and cats
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/feral-cats-now-cover-998-percent-australia-180961680/

Okay, here's the dealio. I live in the city limits. Our place buts up to some trees. For decades our kitties have had free range in the woods doing what God and Mother Nature designed them to do. Hunt. Now we have at least one coyote that has killed two of our cats and please don't say something like, lucky you. We love these guys. I realize the coyote is doing what God and Mother Nature designed it to do. Hunt. Only problem is, it's hunting our kitties. I can't set up a leg hold trap, might catch a cat. It'll have to be a Have-a-Heart TYPE trap and then put it down after it's caught. I hear they're hard to catch in such trap. Has anybody here ever caught one this way?

I'm about ready to put a ghillie suit on, stick a knife in my teeth, climb a tree and play Rambo on this sucker. Oh, I'm considering a crossbow.

They have done tests where even eliminating 70% of a coyote population had no effect as they just bounced back next year. Infact they found that killing a coyote on one property often only leads to another coyote moving in.

Last edited:
I chose to build a kitty compound, or as the neighbors call it, Thunderdome.
But, someday, I still may seek revenge. Because they may get Grannies little brown yapper someday. Damn dog does nothing but yap, but Grannie loves it. (Not my Granny)

most coyotes are very smart about traps. You'll have very little success trapping them unless you really know what you're doing and have lots of sets. You'll probably catch a bunch of neighbor's dogs, which might even get you shot.

Before I got conscience in the early 70s i used to trap and hunt coyotes for bounty. You will not get the skill to trap a coyote overnight it takes many sets to acquire skill along with many incidental catches of other animal (mostly skunks). The coyote is the second hardest animal to trap in my area.

Back