I need help with a d*#n coyote

That is hilarious
Squidman24

Hardest to trap in my area is bobcat. Though plentiful, they are hard to pattern because they do not frequently use game trails, they leave little sign and I have not seen them come to carrion (not to say they don't ever but I haven't seen it). The few I caught I think fell to their own curiosity which I was never able to regularly exploit. They will come in to predator call but I never shot them as there was no bounty on them and gunshot could have ruined a shot at a coyote.

I have not trapped in years and have no desire to because I do not enjoy eating most fur bearer. I have moved from the sticks to the burbs. There are more small to medium wild animals in my suburbs than there ever were in the country and predators are an important part of that. Coyotes put some control on rodents that move from the parks and creeks to our yards and homes in the late fall.

Since building, the kitty compound, I haven't seen a coyote on my trail cam in months. They must of scratched us off their nightly rounds for lack of food.

The coyotes are tricksy, but I have seen the large traps work with the right bait. A property I work at the old timer pest control guy used stinky fermented chicken chunks with pretty good results. Years ago at the same place we spent a fun day squirting tampons with mountain lion piss and stringing them up around the property lol :confused:

Yea, I still think if a guy had bait like that, camo'ed the trap, made a V into it and wired the door open for a few weeks and got them used to it. And kept it constantly baited after it was eaten

I Mountain Bike nightly in the burbs and on my ride to the trails I pass telephone pole after pole with fresh new MISSING kitty or dogie posters, so many if fact that it's become comical. one poor woman went as far as to post wanted posters of BoBo for a year replacing them when faded to much read. I wanted to call her and tell her that BoBo was now coyote poop but I didn't have the hart. The truth is Coyote's are here to stay and as long as people continue to feed their beloved pets to them they will keep showing up around your house for more. I have been tracking/following 3 packs of Coy-wolves, a hybrid of the eastern gray wolf and coyote, for the past 10 years and I found that as their habitat gets gobbled up by new culdesac's and developments they simply adapt to the new food source, cats and chickens. chickens for some reason are now A Thing in the burbs. I have seen the Alpha males travel deeper into the neighborhoods every year because they adapted to this new easy to catch food source with no signs of letting up and why should they, after all they are a very intelligent pack oriented hunter. I hear what your all saying about shooting the or trapping them and I just have to LOL at ya all. coys are family oriented animals that mate for life and although you may get lucky enough to kill mom or dad they will make more. I'm not a hunter as you probably already figured out but i'm a die hard fisherman and an avid outdoors man who fully understands the need for harvesting certain animals but the coyote is not one of them. They serve a very much needed niche by eliminating rodents and snakes with an occasional feast of domestic cat and without them in my area at least we would be up to owe asses in chipmunks, mice, and red and gray squirrels all four of which are known for the property damage they are capable of never mind disease. So I suggest keeping your cats inside, your dogs on a short leash, and pack up any unwarranted fears about coyotes because they a very timid and elusive and want nothing to do with people and the last I checked only one death has been contributed directly to coyotes since they started keeping records. BTW that include rabies infected animals. I worry more about Fisher Cats, If you've ever heard them hunting at night you'll know what i'm talking about. BTW they LOVE to eat cats This has been a PSA by the NightRiders foundation.

This is just the front. The backside has a dead tree they can climb up to get to the catwalk that goes around the fence.
Yes, it has the same wire fencing for a roof. Neighbors call it Kittydome. We call the 7x7 Rubbermade building, the Cattyshack.

This is just the front. The backside has a dead tree they can climb up to get to the catwalk that goes around the fence.
Yes, it has the same wire fencing for a roof. Neighbors call it Kittydome. We call the 7x7 Rubbermade building, the Cattyshack.
That's what I'm talking about Uncle, Nice work on the Cattyshack LOl. A friend of mine recently built a set up just like that for his chickens. He was losing up to one a week to coyotes and hawks. I saw a vid somewhere on the interweb where a cat owner who had a similar enclosure used one of those expandable tunnel things that kids climb threw and made a safe passage to the cat door on the house so the cat could come and go as it pleased.

Sorry, but as a trapper...I have bad news for you. You will probably never catch the nuisance animals. Its even hard for the pros to do it. And hunting the coyotes might be illegal and unproductive. Youre going to have to get rid of the cats or keep them inside. That or get a really good fence, though even that might not work.
Also, you can call a nuisance animal remover. A lot of places have trappers that work in populated areas for this sort of thing. They trap coyotes and beavers causing issues and such. Id give that a try. Good luck with your problem, I hope it works out.

Sorry, but as a trapper...I have bad news for you. You will probably never catch the nuisance animals. Its even hard for the pros to do it. And hunting the coyotes might be illegal and unproductive. Youre going to have to get rid of the cats or keep them inside. That or get a really good fence, though even that might not work.
Also, you can call a nuisance animal remover. A lot of places have trappers that work in populated areas for this sort of thing. They trap coyotes and beavers causing issues and such. Id give that a try. Good luck with your problem, I hope it works out.
I agree^. Coys are such a smart and adaptive animal. They will watch your house for many nights until they figure out a pattern such as what time you let your dog or cat out then they will weight for the right opportunity. A friend of mine was recently followed by three coys while walking in a town forest that he walks his dog in daily. He said he was alone that day with no dog and he thought they were after him but I had to explain to him that the coys recognized him and were following him looking for his dog. To get rid of them you have to remove the food source, easier said than done though.

Wow, thats pretty scary! I dont have coyotes where I live, but we have red and grey foxes all over the place. Predators are hard to catch, because as you said, theyre smart. Theyre also wary, and can be stubborn when it comes to food. If a predator wants to eat your pet, theyll find a way if its possible!
Trapping foxes is tough, and coyotes are even tougher from what I hear.

Quick story, My fathers friend who was a trapper told me that the coys would follow him around on his trap line to see where he placed his traps so that they could come back for an easy meal later. He also told me when the town banished leg traps the coys would become a nuisance and that the neighborhood cats and dogs would start turning up missing. He was right but IMO they are hardly a nuisance. They serve a valuable role in pest control and and I fully enjoy hearing them communicate at night when their hunting and when they finally bag something you can hear the excitement in their calls and howls. It puts a big smile on my face every time but then again I don't own a cat or dog but if I did it would have to be a house pet only.

As several others have touched upon, keep cats inside the house.

Cats - feral and pets (no such thing as a 'tame' cat) - wreak havoc on and kill staggering numbers of small birds/critters each year.

In America, cats - feral and pets - kill 1.3 to 4 billion birds a year.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cats-kill-more-one-billion-birds-each-year

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ca5fa7ebe79_story.html?utm_term=.8325610fefd1

In Australia, cats kill one million birds a day thus pushing some Aussie species to extinction.

The pattern of killing is the same every where, there are cats.

http://www.newsweek.com/cats-birds-australia-677274

Australia and cats
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/feral-cats-now-cover-998-percent-australia-180961680/

...I would not be surprised to learn that American and Australian house cats are behind the decline of several species of rhinoceros. With the right research grant, that could be an eye-opening study.

...I would not be surprised to learn that American and Australian house cats are behind the decline of several species of rhinoceros. With the right research grant, that could be an eye-opening study.
Awesome contribution to the thread :rolleyes: (slow clap).

I liked that also ^^^
We have not lost a kitty since the first and only two. My Kittydome works. I also buried fencing just under the walls.
I will have to admit, after learning the hard way, I outsmarted the dang coyotes.
That fencing was put on with an air stapler and 1 1/2" staples.
I also still have the trail cam just outside the fence...no coyotes for a LONG time.

I liked that also ^^^
We have not lost a kitty since the first and only two. My Kittydome works. I also buried fencing just under the walls.
I will have to admit, after learning the hard way, I outsmarted the dang coyotes.
That fencing was put on with an air stapler and 1 1/2" staples.
I also still have the trail cam just outside the fence...no coyotes for a LONG time.
Glad to hear it!

Back