I should of listen to Karda

It's common practice for people to take souvenirs, Americans did it all the time. And in real life a lot of the Americans that took German weapons like Lugers and P38s weren't already issued a sidearm, so that was their sidearm. Then there's the way in the German Army of WWII, only officers carried sidearms so for an American it was a way of saying they'd captured or killed someone important.

Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

Col. Cooper's Scout rifle idea, was not, as I understand it, to create the best rifle for any particular task or situation. If I may use a favorite expression of the late Ron Hood, the Scout was designed to be "good 'nuff" in a wide variety of situations.

The khukuri is the scout rifle or the Swiss Army Knife of large knives.

You could ask:

Which would win, an axe or a khukuri?
Which would win, a fillet knife or a khukuri?
Which would win, a cleaver or a khukuri?

Or alternatively you could ask:
Given my size, skills, and knowledge, and given the tasks I am likely to encounter, what is likely to be "good 'nuff?"

Last edited:

Col. Cooper's Scout rifle idea, was not, as I understand it, to create the best rifle for any particular task or situation. If I may use a favorite expression of the late Ron Hood, the Scout was designed to be "good 'nuff" in a wide variety of situations.

You could ask:

Given my size, skills, and knowledge, and given the tasks I am likely to encounter, what is likely to be "good 'nuff?"

Exactly Howard,
No need to argue or strongly disagree, just know, we all have different opinions and we should all respect that and move on. I purposely did not get involved in this thread but Howard nailed it.

There have been other variant's since then but the original grey masterpiece is still my favorite.

You could ask:

Yes that was Jeff Cooper's idea (and I see your point plainly through the example). He wanted a do all rifle with the ability to take larger game and with the ability to use it defensively hence the ten round adapter. It is the only rifle I feel confident shooting skeet with...yes skeet. I might not own one yet but I have fired my fair share of them. I ended up trying skeet shooting with them, I used the 2.5x scope and could routinely hit them. It is really a great shooting gun, I cant stand the internal bipod but that's a different story. I have also seen pictures of it being used in Bosnia. I wonder who armed them with the scout. It was years ago in the late 90's when I saw the photo. The scout rifle was new back then and I was surprised to see it in Bosnian hands.

Oh yeah whats that old saying... Opinion are like A#%HOLES, everyone has one and they all stink!

Last edited:

You could ask:

Excellently said...

You could ask:

Thank you. Actually agreeing a lot.
The Kukri seems best at doing a lot of different things while sacrificing a bit in every task. Definately a better all arounder than any other blade I know of.
Yep it's not best at filleting but can be quite good. In a pinch it might even make an acceptable bayonet.
Good at everything but not the best at any one task means if some arrogant people come and say they know of a better fighting sword or a better filleting knife or a better axe they might not be wrong?

Or do you think the more dedicated knives better for individual tasks aren't that much better that it matters

I try a proper question this time.
Which knife is the best for a well built guy with big hands with knowledge in martial arts who chops occasionally, does only little filleting and likes the idea of home defense? (Bigger than 12 inch blade feels weird to me in doorways)
I wouldn't mind if it turns out to be 2 or 3 different kind of knives or axes. I've no storage problem with blades just yet.

For camping which I like a lot and only carry one blade (plus a tiny leek) I bet most would recommend some Kukri or another? I would.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Or a bolo of the right size. For straight indoor interpersonal crisis management there's nothing wrong with the bolo/fechtmesser/dussack family-or a wakizashi...that is pretty much what a wak is for.
I have an old one I repolished (long story) that is about 20" in the blade, heavy, with about a 6" single handed hilt that is kinda my go to house blade.

Yup the wakizashi is def a CQB badass. I tried practicing inside with a 23in blade 14 in handle bujinkan katana but found the handle to long. A ko katana is also a viable option if you want two handed leverage with a short wak style blade.

Although Jens is at least a foot taller than I am so his overhead cuts will be a lot closer to the ceiling lolimage.jpg

I always wonder how phones consistently manage to doubletap on the forum. For some reason when I post on my laptop even if I click just once it will try to post twice and then give me a message saying there's a time delay between posts. Must be something weird about phone browsers.

If you're going for a defensive kukri, can't really go wrong with a WWII. Commonly used by bando practitioners, not overly heavy, got a spacious grip for big hands, and if you're in tighter circumstances the blade is kinked just enough to make thrusts easy so you can thrust instead of swinging it and still get good results. It also works for camping because it can handle chopping and other chores.

Very very cool JW, loveeeee the ko katana. The wak rocks but that ko is making my mouth water. I just some pics of my CQB go to short sword. It's got a 1095 steel blade with a 15 inch blade and 5 inch handle in the Laconia style. Ill post them in the morning cause m on my damn phone now. Sweet friggin stellel bro

G3's are great :D I still have my Schützenschnur in Silver that I earned back in umm... well lets just say a LONG time ago. I tried for 3 years to upgrade it to gold but never could get all 3 weapons gold all at the same time. always missed out on the stupid G3....

That was in Nord Rhein area close to the Nederlands border so we always went to the range with the Bundeswehr, The British Army on the Rhein and The Koninklijke Landmacht. It was always awesome in the morning we all qualified with our own weapons then then the Bundeswehr always brought out these HUGE cannisters of the best splitpea soup, wurst and brotchen and beer for lunch. Then the real fun of trying to qualify with each others weapons began. Good times and lots of friends.

Doh missed a whole page :D
That Wak is wacked! And yeah in Jen's hands that would be danged intimidating in a hallway.

It's common practice for people to take souvenirs, Americans did it all the time. And in real life a lot of the Americans that took German weapons like Lugers and P38s weren't already issued a sidearm, so that was their sidearm. Then there's the way in the German Army of WWII, only officers carried sidearms so for an American it was a way of saying they'd captured or killed someone important.
Thank you Scara that makes sense. Didn't know even pistols were so rare among soldiers back then.
Heard from some Germans using Russian automatic guns and from totally unarmed Russian soldiers who's only chance was to grab a weapon from a dead German. Poor guys. Their fatalities were insane.

Although Jens is at least a foot taller than I am so his overhead cuts will be a lot closer to the ceiling lol

It's the shorter hilted one.
For camping I use either my KLVUK, the Bhakta CAK I got from Phillll, or a little sinampaloc bolo I made. All are in the 16" OAL range.

We have high ceilings and now I finally know why that's a good thing. :p

Both blades are gorgeous.
I would also go for the shorter one. I can chop well with a long one but my aim with a tip that far away from the handle is just horrible. Also there are too many corners and door frames.
In any case I envision it to be more stabbing and cutting than swinging. I know chopping off an arm is a surefire way to stop a bad guy but I don't like that kind of committed strike with a heavy blade. If I miss I get stuck in a wall or expose myself too much for too long. I like faster techniques which come back fast into my defense even if they miss. I can only guess from my Katanas, what's the weight of this Wakizashi?

Does a Kukri's bend make it easier to defend around obstacles and at the same time expose less skin?

Scara makes a good case for the WW2. I don't have one yet and have to see how weight and length compare to the ones I have.

G3's are great :D I still have my Schützenschnur in Silver that I earned back in umm... well lets just say a LONG time ago. I tried for 3 years to upgrade it to gold but never could get all 3 weapons gold all at the same time. always missed out on the stupid G3....

That was in Nord Rhein area close to the Nederlands border so we always went to the range with the Bundeswehr, The British Army on the Rhein and The Koninklijke Landmacht. It was always awesome in the morning we all qualified with our own weapons then then the Bundeswehr always brought out these HUGE cannisters of the best splitpea soup, wurst and brotchen and beer for lunch. Then the real fun of trying to qualify with each others weapons began. Good times and lots of friends.

Silver? You are good. That is better than most guys I've seen with a G3 and don't tell me the pistol you shot was a P1. Then you are my all time hero. Lol.

We were more inland but met Dutch, British and French troops when we taught them some hostage situation stuff in preparation for Bosnia. That was lots of fun. Everybody had a different take on how to solve the situation. Some were rather rough and got lots of them "killed" and one group even broke a window on our bus. The French rifles looked fancy but often some plastic looking rectangular parts were falling off when they were working in a crowd. Lots of interesting stuff down to the Scotish uniforms.
The coolest guy was a General with paratrooper background. He taught us how to play aircraft carrier.

Americans we only met one. He was a door gunner on some kind of exchange program and with us for a few weeks. He was up to lots of fun.

The pea soup in a Gulaschkanone (soup canon) thing taste just incredible. I don't know what the secret is. Maybe the large quantity while cooking? I never had a bad pea soup (which seems to be the standard dish made in these things) from there. You see old army ones at sports events and wherever large quantities of people need to be fed, especially when it's cold.
Did they look like this? http://www.kanonenessen.de/gulaschkanone/mieten.html

Last edited:
When we shot the schutzenschnurr it was tith the g36, the HK pistol and the mg3(my favorite crew served mg bar none)-i got gold with pistol and rifle but was lucky to keep the bursts with the mg3 short enough to get silver. I weighed about 140 at the time and there were 12" grooves from my boot toes in the ground from shootin off the bipod.
Best part was that since I was one of a few who spoke passable German (and stayed up all night with the panzergrenadiers who were hosting us) i got to shoot about 600 rounds through the mg3 off the turret in the armored car...target was an old Trabant about 950-1000m out. It didn't make it lol

Jens, That is exactly the memory I have of the soup containers. When I see the picture with the lid of the container lifted I imagine I can still smell that soup. Absolutely nothing better for defrosting your fingers than wrapping them around a bowl with one of those huge wursts running across it.
I wonder what he would charge me for shipping costs to buy one LOL.

Nice JW. I think the most fun we had was the Dutch FN MAGs we used to laugh that their M60-20 was so differnet but similar to our M60s Then a few years later whoa we were seeing them in ToEs as M240s and replacing the M60s.

Back