I Spy

Gollnick

Musical Director
Here are photos of prototypes of what will probably be the next production balisong to hit the market. The handles are solid Stainless Steel though Damascus and Ti are in the works.

The photos are poor. Sorry, but they're not bad considering all of the trouble that the special equipment section had to go through to hide the camera in the latch of my BM42. I just hate working in the field.

Anyway, the photos are poor, but the handles are skeletonized with one row of large holes (no small ones) that decrease in size. There are also slots on the sides of the handles.

If you like heavy, you're gonna love these. If you like wider handles (a la the older Jags), you're gonna love these. And, if you just want a tough-as-nails, heavy-duty balisong, you're really gonna love these.

Target price is about $150 retail. Availability in about three or four months. I can say nothing more.

spy1.JPG

spy2.JPG

I also talked to a major name custom maker (I mean major name here folks) who wants to try his hand a balisongs. We talked for a long time. He's serious. This is a major name. As always, I won't mention the name so that if he decides not to proceed, nobody will hold it against him.

And, another major name production maker confided definite balisong plans to me. Again, I am sworn to secrecy. But, it's a major name.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Gollnick for the inside info!! All of this is very, very exciting. These being done in only 3 or 4 months is great, and two other makers?!?!?! AWSOME is all i can think to say
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Hmmm... very interesting.

I like heavier (than a 42) say 5+ oz., and solid drilled stainless handles.

Is this the one you showed us spy pics of the unassembled pieces recently?

4"?

Latch gate?

Blade material?

[This message has been edited by RKnight (edited 04-23-2001).]

Thius is very cool, would this have happened if we didn't have this forum? don't think so.

I think BM should start producing their custom line again, they are missing the wagon...
smile.gif

------------------
Be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

"Who want fulfillment? -denial lasts forever"
Total Emerson knives freak!!! Usual Suspect wanna-be...

The coolest bar in the world: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/8373/index.html
My knives!

Jonas,

I think what Benchmade needs to do is something they have not done alot of in the past, and that is listen.

They run their Forum like an Internet Concentration Camp when it comes to anything that offends them. It is their forum and they can do as they wish, however.

Zamak handled BMs are fetching some very high prices.

That name, BaliSong and that Butterfly used to mean a whole lot, Pacific Cutlery and Benchmade.

My initial impression of the BM42 was that it was impressive, and that it was incredibly light. And, that they could have came out with it and not done away with the other line. As you can see from various sales going on, there is obviously still a demand for their BaliSongs.

I have grown to like my BM42 quite a bit though. I am very impressed with how the Anodizing has stood up well under much handling and not worn off. Good quality. And it does manipulate extremely well once you are used to it and if you are just starting out, you have nothing to judge it by anyway.

If the Microtech BaliSong becomes a reality and others like the ones above do...possibly others...I would think it would only help BM do what they should have done to begin with. Offer more Butterflies.

Those are nice BaliSongs up above and I hope I can get one eventually, or hell...maybe more than one.

I now return to my corner to await the barrage.

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
And the same goes for a knife...
And, I'm a Usual Suspect.

Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline. It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine. ~Stipe

Chuck,

By the way, is there anyway to get rid of the Manila Latch and go with the regular, good old Batangas Latch before this hits production?

And, will there be any sort of point protection via a "Latch Gate" like on the new BM42 (a feature I love)?

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper

Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline. It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine. ~Stipe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They run their Forum like an Internet Concentration Camp when it comes to anything that offends them. It is their forum and they can do as they wish, however.</font>

Yup, have to agree with you on that one.

/Colinz

Well this is great that all these people/companys are starting to get into the production of Balisongs. I have even noticed a new intrest of Blaisongs here in Indiana. At the Gun and Knife show some of the people had bought out the Jags(Still left the BM's)
smile.gif
When usually they were left in large quantities.

------------------
I have a sword in my pocket!

Speaking of new balisong makers,
I'm in the works for a custom balisong.
I've talked it over with the maker, and he says that he can make me a 4" damascus bladed double edged wide belly spearpoint bali with 440SS skeleton handles with Torx, pivot washers, latch gate, etc, for around $200.
I also ordered a weehawk tanto blade so I can interchange when I want to.
He said that it'll bw done in aprox. 4-6 weeks. Once I get it and evaluate it, I'll post pics, and release his identity. Probably not as big of name in the knife world as some others, but we'll see. He says that he's done others, (with no pics), so I'll let you know how everything goes.

But two custom damascus blades and one set of handles for around $300.00! Not bad huh?

Yowzers! Another new bali! I hope that this trend continues for a while. And I can't wait to own a QUALITY knife with some weight. Don't get me wrong, I love my 42, but my personal preferences lean toward heavy and fat. I can't wait! Thanks for the great pics!

------------------
~Dave

"One in the hand is worth two in the sheath"

We have discussed this before in this Forum.

Design and Production stagnation due to recalcitrance and/or indifference is best handled by Competition in the Arena.

The way to get Benchmade to make more and better BaliSongs is not to ask them, that does not work, make them look at their investment in the 42 and then threaten that, then you will see some more innovation and variety.

The possibility of a Microtech Butterfly Knife can do that. Once they hit the market, it will show.

Look at Darrel Ralph's Gemini Butterfly. If Darrel sold that to a good company capable of producing that...not that he would even consider it, but it would cause a stir.

The Butterflies above in this thread...same thing.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that an excellent BaliSong cannot be produced with today's manufacturing.

Hell, I might even get a 5 inch Kriss out of this yet if things keep going this way...

------------------

As soon as MT announces their plans, BM asks us what other blade styles we'd like to see. CoiNcIDeNce??!?! I THINK NOT!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by masse:
As soon as MT announces their plans, BM asks us what other blade styles we'd like to see. CoiNcIDeNce??!?! I THINK NOT!</font>

Well, way back when, Benchmade said that the Consumer would be able to swap blades out in the 42 and went on a campaign to see what blade styles people would like to have. They even had me fooled for a little bit because I was enthusiastic.

Then a lightbulb came on over my head.

That would void the BM Warranty of not taking their knives apart.

So, that was stroking the Forum, so to speak. They never intended for the 42 to have the ability to have the blades swapped out.

Now, there are plans to have interchangeable blades on the Microtech Butterfly Knife. If anyone can do it, Tony Marfione can, look at the Nemesis and the LCC D/A and anyone can see that if this is feasible, he is the Man that can do it. If he cannot do it, no one but a truly Custom Maker probably can.

Another thing that is very promising about the Microtech Butterfly, or as I have named it and hope to win this little contest going on, "The Microtech Betterfly," is the fact there are also plans to make a double edged, Nemesis type blade for a bit more money.

Now, I have never seen a PC or BM BaliSong that was double edged unless it was a Custom.

Wouldn't it be great to have an almost Custom Quality Butterfly knife with an equally Custom blade like a Custom that used to come out of the Custom Shop of PC/BM?

They are projecting the cost of the MT Butterfly Knife at approximately $200.00 and for another $50.00 or so, a double edged blade.

Let's say it is $250.00, that is what PC charged for a Custom BaliSong 15 years ago if I am not mistaken.

And, the MT Butterfly Knife will be of Custom Quality I would imagine. Looking at the other knives they produce, I have no reason to doubt that.

None of this is to be construed as being anti-Benchmade, on the contrary, I want the BaliSong back from Benchmade in a big way. But there is no reason to believe that other people are not capable of even surpassing the quality of the Custom PC/BM BaliSongs and I welcome it.

------------------

Woohoo. Another Balisong I can't afford. Nor would I want to. All balis are going to be subject to dropping and other various sorts of damage. I for one don't, and likely will never, have the money to spend $150 not to mention $250 for a knife I will slowly destroy. I wish just one company would get the hint and build a bloody balisong that doesn't cost so much you have to go hungry to buy one. $50-$70 would be quite atainable by most people and I know a decnt bali could be made at that price range.

Didn't mean to rain on the parade, but I'm not impressed.

You don't have to be "impressed" at all.

If the knife drops or is wacked into a carpet and it breaks, it isn't worth the steel it is made out of anyway.

What about the grass and dirt?

You are making the assumption the knife will be practiced by a Beginner over a hard surface. Well, if they wish to do that, it is their folly if the knife is damaged.

I really don't see the logic in your post except to just be bored and type something that was basically just a shot across the bow of people that like quality BaliSongs.

For the record, I have dropped BaliSongs in the past, usually in the grass or a carpeted floor and the vast majority of those times were in the first few years of learning how to use them.

If someone who has a tendency to drop BaliSongs wishes to practice over concrete or asphalt...that's their decision.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don Rearic:
I really don't see the logic in your post except to just be bored and type something that was basically just a shot across the bow of people that like quality BaliSongs.
</font>

You're so wrong. I like quality balisongs as much as the next guy but the only ones that have come out lately are getting more and more expensive. I want it to stop. Now. Or at least I want an option. You guys can have all of your $300 balis you want but I KNOW a quality bali can be produced for less than $100. It's been done before. And as the balisong is probably subject to wear more than any other knife, why pay so damn much money for one? I don't care how over engineered it is, it will wear. And I don't want any damn innovations on mine either. I want an old style steel handled bali. I believe a little company called Benchmade used to make some that fit the criteria. Hell, I would have been a hundred times happier if they would have just made the handles on the 42 steel. It would be the proper weight if they had.

Yes, I suppose this wasn't the best place for the point to be made, but I began to sick up seeing everybody hoot and holler for more super-priced balis. And as it's a free country and there are no rules on the forums against expressing my displeasure, here it is.

Of course you have a right to get hostile, I get hostile sometimes too.

Your statements are problematic, however.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Disco Stu:
"You guys can have all of your $300 balis you want but I KNOW a quality bali can be produced for less than $100. It's been done before."</font>

Yeah, I can name three off of the top of my head. BM44, 45 and 48. About three years ago, I could get them here in Maryland for about $70.00 a pop, too bad I did not see this coming... I don't think you read all of my posts, I am actually unhappy that BM decided to do away with these. As for the "lesser" BMs, they were Entry Level Balis, like the Zamak handles, and I did not care for them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Disco Stu:
"And as the balisong is probably subject to wear more than any other knife, why pay so damn much money for one? I don't care how over engineered it is, it will wear."</font>

It most certainly will wear more than some other folders, especially if you do not lubricate it properly. If you do that [lubricate them], you are not going to have a problem, I'm sorry.

You have to take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you.

Some 15 years ago, Pacific Cutlery was making Custom BaliSongs in the $250.00 range. Depending on options. If you are talking about a 4 inch Weehawk with Skeletonized steel handles, that was about a $250.00 knife. THAT was expensive Sir. Consider 15 years ago.

I think if you go back and read my posts, you will see that I do agree with you in many ways.

For the record;

Don Rearic would love to walk into a Knife Store and once again be able to pick up a skeletonized steel BM44, 45 or 48 for $70.00, I do not, however, see that happening.

And Stu, you're missing a very important point.

The MT Butterfly and possibly one or two more going into production, might very well make your dreams come true. It all depends on how badly BM takes a beating in this specific market.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Don Rearic (edited 04-23-2001).]

Those blade shapes look outstanding! I think we'll find as more makers enter the field of balis here in the USA that, to compete in the big picture, the prices will start to come down with no degradation in the quaility. Once the manufacturers get the CAD/CAM equipment geared towards the production of balis and can get the various vendors/suppliers stocking/making the different pieces that can be farmed out, LOOK OUT! I feel the US manufacturers have noticed the interest in these knives and the prices that good ol' butterflies bring and are 'chomping at the bit' to get some of our money in their pockets!!!!! Only time will tell, so start saving your $$$ and be ready when the time comes!
wink.gif

I am totally stoked over all these new balisongs coming out. But with all of this attention the people I want to notice the most is the government; I want to be able to walk down the street or walk into work with a bali in my pocket or strapped on my side. We NEED to find out what it will take to get some people's attention and present our case.

------------------
Cameron

"And shepards we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be, En Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti"
A few of my balisongs
My Photopoint album

Ya, I'm excited about the future. I just hope that my favorite dealer stocks the new production balis, 'cuz most dealers won't ship 'em to CA. This renaissance is great timing for me. I've become even more disillusioned with hand made folding knives lately, and the only thing I am really interested in right now are production folders, and hand made or production balisongs.

Benchmade is kind of hard to figure. I've formed the impression that Balisong USA is still there at the heart of that company, but there seems to be another personality that just wants to be another Spyderco. I think Les has seen too much stupidity on the Benchmade forum, and has little regard for what goes on there. The SHOT show and the Blade Show are the preferred forums for them. The all too frequent **** storms that took place there a couple years ago probably had Les convinced that there was just a bunch of repressed computer weenies hanging out there.

But the 42 is great, and looks like there is more development under way.

I can afford to work out with a $100 knife, so I do. I've got a dull 45, and a couple of 42's that are my practice knives. The customs are more special occasion carry pieces. They don't get flipped enough to ever wear them out. Not that my 45 seems even close to wearing out after 3 years of daily swinging. Doubt if I'll ever buy a balisong of lower quality than the 42.

Back