I wish there is a mid-sebenza

I'm in the minority here I think. The small feels nothing but clumsy in my hand, but the large is perfect. Maybe I carried a Military from Spyderco long enough to make thie Large 21 feel like a mid sized knife? I don't particularly need a blade quite that long, but it doesn't feel as large in the pocket as the dimensions would suggest.

The idea of a small Zaan that falls between the two sebbies is an interesting idea. Like Sebbie variants though, I'm unlikely to buy one if they continue with s35vn. I'd certainly consider it several times before ultimately buying another Spyderco though.:D

I feel the same way about every large/small folding knife pair I've had in hand (Rat1/2, ZT0450/0452, Delica/Endura).

That's how it goes! Sounds like Spyderco might be the first one to make you happy with the Endela.

When did they come out with that slip joint? Seems that do have some irons in the fire to innovate/re-tool.

I'm keeping my large micarta Sebenza. I would buy a medium micarta Sebenza. The medium would likely get the most pocket time. I'm not going to buy a small...Net gain to CRK from me if they ever built this unicorn.

Last edited:
I find the small Sebenza clumsy in my hand, but oddly enough, the small Inkosi (which is smaller than the small Seb) feels quite nimble and comfortable to me. My favorite CRKs are my large Insingo and small Inkosi. I wouldn't mind seeing an in-between-sized Inkosi, but I don't see it happening, and that's OK with me, too.

Jim

When did they come out with that slip joint? Seems that do have some irons in the fire to innovate/re-tool.
1st introduced at Blade

I like my small(not too small for me) and I like my large(it carries well for it's size), but believe I would like a medium best. I really wouldn't know until I had one in hand. I'd like the chance to see if it was just right, but it is not that big a deal.

CRK knows what is best for them. It won't stop me from asking, but I certainly understand if they don't jump on the idea. I am doubtful they will make a medium, but the fact that Tim has responded about it shows they at least listened.

Last edited:
I agree with the comments made earlier that a medium Sebenza would cannibalize sales of the small and large.

How about a small Zaan? 3" blade, 7.5" OAL. There you go.

Idk. I feel like people who would only buy one crk anyway it wouldn’t be a lost sale if they bought a medium. (Infact they might get some additional customers who only would buy a 3.25 inch sebbie and not a small or large)

The type of who would buy more than one crk will likely buy multiples anyway so a medium might not stop them from buying a small or a large. Infact collectors who already have a large and a small or a big collection likely might want to get a medium as well.

Maybe they’re saving the medium release for when they need it. For a year where sales are weak maybe?

That's how it goes! Sounds like Spyderco might be the first one to make you happy with the Endela.

And the most obscure reference award goes to.... (Sal made a typo when referring to the VToku Sprints back in 2017 some time. An FRN "Endela" he said.)

: ) Only if he moves the ricasso lower on the blade like the centofante 3 or makes it a liner lock. I can’t stand all that wasted space these days.

It is called the Laconico KEEN. Get one, you'll thank me later. I actually opened this thread to recommend it, as I have wanted a Mid-benza for a while too until I got my KEEN. It is awesome.

xUK9Rnd.jpg

I've been thru many knives trying to find a medium Sebenza (actually a medium Sebenza w/flipper). Thought I had found it in a Laconico Jasmine. Great knife, action was beautiful, BUT.... Slippery as heck, and just like the Keen, no blade jimping. So no, the Keen isn't it.

Grab a Sebenza and put your thumb on that spine jimping. Now do the same with a Keen. You will immediately realize the Keen, just as most of Ray's knives needs jimping. Don't know if he is against jimping or just likes having his name planted on the spine, but IMHO, it kills his designs.

Curtiss F3 Medium is a fantastic replacement for a medium Sebenza, and would be perfect replacement if the blade wasn't so wide (top to bottom), as it can scare the sheeple.

I don't think CRK should worry about going down the mid size road unless they get to the point of needing to reinvent who they are. There niche is being a customizable high quality knife of a few different models that has become a staple of collection in our hobby.

There are a lot of really great titanium flippers out there these days ranging all over the board on price. I don't think the Sebenza is as beyond reproach as it was 20 years ago. However, having never owned one and always wanting one, "dated" as the design may be, a large Sebenza is going to be my big 2019 purchase.
Right now it seems they are at capacity and happy with it.
It reminds me of this little pub I stopped in while traveling through Ireland. We were hungry and thirsty when we came upon it. It was crowded but everyone was enjoying their food and spirits. I asked the barkeep what they had to eat, and he said, "We serve three different sandwiches here. We have cold ham sandwiches, cold cheese sandwiches, and cold ham and cheese sandwiches. If you would like, we can toast the bread." It really was a pretty dang good ham and cheese sandwich, to be honest. They didn't need to offer more. What they did offer served their needs and made them money.

Yep large sebenza sent to razors edge and cut down would be the ideal solution for this, would cost a bit but if that’s what ya want who cares?

The Large Sebenza is perfect for me, and the perfect folder in my opinion.

A medium sized one is never going to happen it is just that simple..

Maybe they’re saving the medium release for when they need it. For a year where sales are weak maybe?
I think they already explained why the aren't releasing a medium. No need to speculate. They've been very open on the subject. Plus, no way they could just throw one together for a down year.

I find the large just barely big enough and would not consider a medium. Now an xl, that I would consider!

I wish there is a mid-sebenza that hit the sweet spot for me where the blade length is around 3.2 inch. For my personal taste, the small is a bit too small and large is too large. What do you think :)View attachment 1049739
I use folders for EDC and so tend to judge them by their closed/handle length more than I do blade length. I find the sweet spot to be around 4 inches, which just so happens to have a 3 inch blade most often. However much blade you could fit in a Sebenza with about a 4.25 inch handle would probably be just right for me. The small however, still hits the 4:3 magic number so I'm happy with where it is.

I've been thru many knives trying to find a medium Sebenza (actually a medium Sebenza w/flipper). Thought I had found it in a Laconico Jasmine. Great knife, action was beautiful, BUT.... Slippery as heck, and just like the Keen, no blade jimping. So no, the Keen isn't it.

Grab a Sebenza and put your thumb on that spine jimping. Now do the same with a Keen. You will immediately realize the Keen, just as most of Ray's knives needs jimping. Don't know if he is against jimping or just likes having his name planted on the spine, but IMHO, it kills his designs.

Curtiss F3 Medium is a fantastic replacement for a medium Sebenza, and would be perfect replacement if the blade wasn't so wide (top to bottom), as it can scare the sheeple.
My Keen has the portals (holes), and I do not find it the least bit slippery, and the flipper makes a perfect finger rest/guard. Why would I need "thumb" traction when the handle itself isn't slippery? I actually find a pj sebbie to be more slippery (and I am a big CRK fan), which is why most of mine have had inlays (wood, micarta and mammoth).

I think they already explained why the aren't releasing a medium. No need to speculate. They've been very open on the subject. Plus, no way they could just throw one together for a down year.

I find the large just barely big enough and would not consider a medium. Now an xl, that I would consider!

They’re trying to fool us!

They already have a medium sebenza designed and ready to go. They’re just trying to wait until the world is in trouble and only a medium sebenza can save it.

Fo’ real dough holding my breath for a medium Sebenza is a sure recipie to pass out from lack of oxygen. In a way the small 21 is the medium if we count the Umfaan as the small.

Back