Idaho Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
YouTube has spoken!

[youtube]bZQOCNx5KK4[/youtube]

One of the things I always liked about Sebenzas was their minimalism and simple look.
His company though. He can stamp "I like bacon" or "Swamp Donkeys Rule" on there if he wants to.

We've had this issue come up from time to time with our knives. Some folks don't like the logos or markings and want them removed. We simply refuse to do it. Bottom line is if someone deoesn't like the markings on a knife, and that's the only way the company offers it, then don't buy it. But to not buy a CR knife because of Idaho Made on the blade just keeps you from owning one of the finest, well made knives on Earth. Idaho Made is alright by me. In fact, I'm going to go over to CR's web site rigth now and buy a knife becasue of this thread.

Yeah, but Jeff, you do realize that a good 25% of your market share buys Becker knives ONLY because the logo is small and unobtrusive. :D

I wonder if Chris would do an I DA HO special-edition knife. Be great for picking up wommenz folk because it's honest and lets them know right where the dude stands.

Who could possibly care, and if you do, what's wrong with you? The font? OMG!

I can't believe I read all eighteen pages of this...well most of it any way. I have to admit that reading all of some of the posts was just more than I could manage. I really don't get what the big deal is. I don't see how it could possibly effect the function of the knife. I have never seen this kind of stink raised over names like Solingen, Sheffield, or Seki being written on a blade. Frankly with all of the crap going on in this country, with more and more states asserting themselves and their rights in this little republic of ours, I am surprised there hasn't been more of this, and I sort of hope that there will be more of it for my own reasons. I only own one CRK, an Aviator, but I have been eyeballing a Sebenza for some time. I love the lines of the knife but I have been on the fence for a long time trying to justify that much expense on a folding knife that would lead a hard life in my hands. For the most part the only pictures I've been able to find showed "like-new knives" which told me nothing about withstanding hard use. I have no interest in collecting knives for the sake of collecting so it took months of research an hour or two at a time here and there in my "free" time to figure out who the ones actually using CRK knives in the field were. Then I knew why there were so few pictures of used Sebenzas on the web. That had me nearly over the fence, I think this little display of state pride may just finish me off. At least if the knife doesn't hold up as well as I think a $400.00 folding knife should, I will still feel good about supporting something I like seeing, and to me that is worth a little something extra. So...now to check out current pricing.

This, without a doubt, made reading all of this worth while :thumbup:

idaknow.jpg

For goodness sake, Chris needs to take note. Do it for the children! :p

The "Idaho Made" doesn't really bother me but the font looks like an afterthought. It's kinda like going down the soft drink aisle at the grocery and seeing the the white cans with "ORANGE SODA" in black letters. It just looks generic. They should have at least made an effort to make it look a little more classy. It's not a bad idea and I'd buy CRK anyway but this is poorly executed, IMO.

Some of these people are insane IMO. Especially over on the Idaho Made Poll thread. They're acting more distraught over 2 words stamped on a pocket knife than they would if their daughter got Peter Griffin tattooed on her forehead. I'm not a fan of the stamp but i don't care about it nearly enough to not buy a knife with it. It's a KNIFE. Meant to cut things. Sebenzas do that pretty damn well. A stamp showing off where the knife is made changes absolutely nothing about that. It's funny people are b*tching so much about this but don't mention the pointless hole drilled in the front Ti slab. That doesn't phase them or distract from the "elegance" of the knife. That doesn't stop them from buying. It's ridiculous that 2 words Chris stamped on because he is proud of his state will stop people from buying it. It's still the best knife out there.

Last edited:
Some of these people are insane IMO. Especially over on the Idaho Made Poll thread. They're acting more distraught over 2 words stamped on a pocket knife than they would if their daughter got Peter Griffin tattooed on her forehead. I'm not a fan of the stamp but i don't care about it nearly enough to not buy a knife with it. It's a KNIFE. Meant to cut things. Sebenzas do that pretty damn well. A stamp showing off where the knife is made changes absolutely nothing about that. It's funny people are b*tching so much about this but don't mention the pointless hole drilled in the front Ti slab. That doesn't phase them or distract from the "elegance" of the knife. That doesn't stop them from buying. It's ridiculous that 2 words Chris stamped on because he is proud of his state will stop people from buying it. It's still the best knife out there.

Looks to me like you are b*tching about the b*tching.

The stamp is a shocker. :thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn:

The "pointless hole" is actually part of the machining process and has been a sort of feature of the Sebenza since the begining. The Idaho made engraving just suddenly appeared and for what seems like no good reason. It is not tastefully executed at all and detracts from the simple plain look that attracts a lot of people to the Sebenza in the first place. No body is saying that is makes the knife less usefull or any other argument some noobs to this thread seem the be throwing about. It is about esthetics and that is part of peoples decision making when choosing a knife weather people like it or not.

Alot of peole who don't like that engraving have spent (£)$1000s with CRK over the years and frankly should have at least a little say in what their money goes on. People who jump in here saying "I just bought my first CRK and I don't give a monkeys about that engraving" are totally missing the point..........

Mist; i have a sebby and it hold up great. Given i dont baton it, but it has been droppes a few times and the titanium has taken some dents. Should get some pics up..

I have two Sebenzas and I'm very happy both are Idaho Madeless! I don't care for it, myself and I'd not buy one with it on it. Have a Star-tac coming and I don't think the Idaho Made is nearly as glaring on that one. Sure they are knives made to cut, but they also are fairly expensive and I'd as soon they look nice, too.

Hmmmmm ive said previously that the stamp doesn't bother me at all as a matter of fact I like that Chris Reeve has enough pride in where he lives and makes the knives to think it's important to stamp it on his creations.

Now since this stamp subject seems to be split down the middle I am curious to see if the Sebenza sales will go down now that this stamp is there?I mean If there is that much crying about the stamp will it actually affect sales? I say no but I have no evidence to prove anything,,,,just food for thought.

I focus more on older seb's for collecting so don't really care about the stamp either way. For aesthetics I guess that "Idaho Made" isn't the prettiest addition, but CR knives are excellent cutting tools first and foremost. If I need one or see a design I particularly like, I'll buy it regardless of what markings are on it. For any whiners, there's no shortage of aftermarket, pre-IM, knives out there so relax.

My red-headed stepchildren knives are RAT's anyway. They like getting smacked around.

I have that NRA hat. I think I'll wear it now, so I can be like that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back