if you could only have one handgun

if i had to it would be my s&w 19 4" its as close to a all around handgun that i have, if i could have two then my hi power gets the nod

When I could only have one gun, after much research I also chose the Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. Turned out to be way more accurate than I expected, sturdy and reliable enough to outlast me for sure, and does anything I could want it to. Great defensive round, easy and fun to shoot, throw .38s in it if you want to save some money when you're just plinking, and plenty accurate enough for range/target shooting.

It can be carried, and the size and weight help make shooting magnum rounds more comfortable, but if carry, especially concealed, is a major part of your intended use, I would probably downsize to my S&W 642 (with the Crimson Trace laser grip!)- I can have more than one now ; )

Hi! Don’t think there is “one best do it all”, I think there are, like for our knives, many different ones which work as “best one” for each and every one :). I have chosen mine after a long enough pondering (revolver vs. semiautomatic, calibres, ergonomics, weight, ease of use, accuracy, trigger, etc.) and testing of several very different ones at the range. My choice is a HS XDM 9mm 3.8”.

It’s also my one and only handgun (besides this one I only own another gun, a shotgun, the Fabarm STF 12 compact), so I kind of live daily the situation “if you could only have one” :). This both for a budget issue (hobby money are tight with a family of 5) and also for a personal preference. Personally I’d like to “master” my tools (I try at least :p). Having only one, it helps me in this, also considering my limited time to practice and “play” around with this other hobby/passion of mine. I took my gun permit exam and all my shooting classes with her and, today, I regularly shoot her at the range (practical shooting). I am able to disassembly, assembly and clean her “blindfolded” :) and I practice shooting under different conditions, e.g. also with my left hand, in cold or hot temperatures (the range is located in an old dismissed gravel quarry) and I have developed a kind of “feel” for her along the years.

I can neither open nor concealed EDC her, since I don’t have that type of licences (laws are quite strict here in EU :() but, anyway, besides having fun at the range (I find her handy, svelte and accurate) , I feel confident enough now to be able to use her, in the best possible way I can, in the unfortunate case I’ll need to resort to self-defence. I think she’s a good gun; she combines good reliability, mag capacity (19 rounds); compact size, accuracy and ease of use. Works for me and she’s also rather good looking (in my eyes).

23tzqw.jpg

I already have it ... a very early superbly-tuned S&W Model 66 with a 4" barrel and Pachmayr grips ... the prettiest girl at the dance ... and great at just about everything. I owned the Model 66's blued-steel predecessor up in BC's ranch country (the Cariboo) in the early 1970's. A lot of 20th-Century American firearm history ... and I know it all ... in that firearm ... :)

Concealed-carry is a non-issue here in Canada, but down in Montana a medium-sized lady could saunter down the dairy aisle at Piggly-Wiggly with that revolver in a Fobus under a short Carhartt jacket, and nobody would even notice ... :)

Because of its 4" barrel, this Model 66 is actually classified as "Prohibited" in Canada, but I am legally "Grandfathered" because I've owned a 4" Model 34 since the 1970's. Both are glassy smooth.

I have two old full-page black-and-white advertisements (bought from early Ebay sellers) of both Model 19 and ... (from way back in 1946!) the venerable S&W Model 34 "Kit Gun" ... with the latter asking customers to please be patient while the company starts "ramping-up" production once again after the war. They are in frames, in my office.

The outrageous downside? When I finally "shuffle-off this mortal coil" both a them beauties go into the Canadian government smelter. Makes a firearms/engineering buff just wanna cry ... :(

BTW ... this is not a political issue in Canada. The Liberal Party made the law. The Conservative Party was OK with it for eight years. The Liberal Party is back again ... one year into power and good-to-go for three more years (much like the Republican Party's 4-year-run in the United States) ...

Interesting times ... :)

Last edited:
I have a deep affection for J-frames, single action revolvers, CZs, and the marvelous creations of John Moses Browning (especially the 1911 and 1903), but if I were allowed to keep only one of my handguns it would have to be one of my Gen4 Glock 26s.

It is soulless and ugly, but it satisfies my requirements.

I do. Hk45c-lem. I have no need or desire to own another sidearm. Went from over 10 handguns to just this one within a month of buying it. It will truely last a life time. I have upwards of 4000 rounds thru it without a hiccup and at that round count I would be looking for a replacement for a metal framed 1911 ( have owned probably 10 in the last 30 years). This is my ONE handgun

Clay

Phoenix arms Raven .25 cal.

Kidding, :D but will say I do kinda like my .22 PA.

Think a glock would be my choice.

If I could keep just one, strictly function, remove all emotion from it...

Beretta 92fs compact. Full size frame, short grip and bbl. Useable as both a full size and a a ccw. Basically same as g19 but with a real hammer and safety and better accuracy (truthfully both are more accurate than I can be offhand). I do like my berettas and the compacts are easier to conceal.

Emotion involved would have to be either my 96fs that parents gave me as graduation present or my brushed nickel desert eagle 44 mag lol.

Remove concealability need from it and would be the 92a1 with rail mounted light.

My Glock 26 here. It's small, compact, ultra reliable, uses easy to find 9mm, takes magazines from the Glock 17, 19, and the 33 round job. It's very accurate for it's size, and with a .22 conversion kit cheap to practice with. One gun gives me both 9mm and .22LR capability in a concealable package. And I like small!

You and I jack, are cut from the same cloth. I live the look I get when I show my carry piece g26 with standard g17 mags, one in the pistol and two reloads. I've got a Burris fast fire iii on mine soon to be upgraded to the leupold.

Just one of those guns that during practice, you go: "oh F yeah. That's why." Foresighted the Burris at 25 yards. Winner.

You and I jack, are cut from the same cloth. I live the look I get when I show my carry piece g26 with standard g17 mags, one in the pistol and two reloads. I've got a Burris fast fire iii on mine soon to be upgraded to the leupold.

Just one of those guns that during practice, you go: "oh F yeah. That's why." Foresighted the Burris at 25 yards. Winner.

Yeah, that's one thing I like abut the 26; I'm not restricted to magazines like of I had the slimmer 43. Mags from the 17, 19, the big boy 33 round, any and all will fit in a pinch. Plus like a lot of autos, you can get a .22 conversion kit for cheap practice or just more visibility. I wasn't a Glock fan until last year when my cousin converted me from my 40 year love affair with the Little Smith and Wesson J frames. I drank the kook=aid and was lost from then on. I now am a Glock fan boy.It even has sights that I can see at my age!!!

Last edited:
Already commented on this topic and my choice but DAMN I sure do love the Shadow 2..... even though its more of a competition shooter..

cz_shadow2.png

I'd stick with my Springfield XD in .40 S&W or .45 ACP. They conceal great on me and fit my hand like a glove, not to mention ambi-button mag release. I'm a lefty so it's tricky with some models. XD unseated my holy Glock 27 from it's pedestal.

If revolvers, then S&W 386PD. I carry primarily for self defense and as a 5'8" 130 pound female I need stopping power right out of the gate. Don't want to get to the point where I'm slashing away at some burly dude with my XM-18.

Last edited:
Had the OP asked, which ONE gun one would choose, I would have played - but since he didnt, I wont.

If I was going to use it at the range and had no possibility of shtf, Sig P210.

Real life, G19.

At this point I am looking at something from Wilson Combat. Actually I am waiting on a Brigadier Tactical but after that I am looking at getting a 1911 as well. Besides dependability and accuracy I want something with a great fit and finish as well.

Less is more as long as when you get that one or few they are the best in class.

I don't use handguns for self defense so it would have to be my Ruger .22 LR Bearcat. It could handle all my needs and one major feature is that a lot of ammunition for it can be carried with ease.

Generic picture
Ee5lc51.jpg

A great squirrel and rabbit gun.

Before anyone poo-poos the .22 LR, it is the most used caliber to poach deer and other wildlife in CA.

Back