If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

After two years of carrying it and having tried a bunch of other SAK's along the way my answer is going to have to be the Spartan. Yeah, the simplest, ubiquitous, boring model they make. It just works for me and I'm using it constantly throughout the day every day.

sakblack2.jpg
I'm right there with you only the Tinker instead. Gets the job done with minimal pocket space.

If I had to dump all of the others then the pioneer would be the only sak left in my pocket. I find the awl infinitely useful and I carry another knife with it anyway. I also like the can opener/small screw driver handy for scraping sawdust and bar oil buildup out of my saw bars, and the big flathead gets used all the time too.1599775565090805320047.jpg

I decided on the deluxe tinker today. Much more pocketable for sure. I don't need saws often enough to warrant the extra two layers.
Hope you enjoy it. I don't need saws either. Scissors are debatable for me. I only carry the One Handed Trekker (with saw blade) when I am in the woods and it's not in my pocket unless I am actually using it. From time to time, I do a little strategic trimming around plants before I take pictures in the outdoors. Been known to cut small plants to ground level or a pesky branch that is right in the way of my camera shot and would ruin the picture I'm trying to take. Hiking I generally have trekking poles (2 with no camera) or one if I have the camera around my neck on a strap. One comes in handy for me although I understand the general merits of using two.

If I had to dump all of the others then the pioneer would be the only sak left in my pocket. I find the awl infinitely useful and I carry another knife with it anyway. I also like the can opener/small screw driver handy for scraping sawdust and bar oil buildup out of my saw bars, and the big flathead gets used all the time too.View attachment 1416417
The Pioneer is a good one! I have one (blue limited edition one). But I carry my Small Tinker now religiously over my old Vic Adventurer (essentially a one blade 111mm Tinker). The Electrician would work for you too I think.

My SAK would be the very last knife I have in my pocket....... other than for limited needs, it handles what I need to do. That reminds me. I need to make a couple passes on the stone on the main blade as I was digging weeds in the yard yesterday with it. Bigger knife works better, but I have to plan ahead to have a larger knife on me in the yard and frequently requires a special trip back in the house or I just use the little tinker.

My SAK has become an essential tool when I'm out wandering around taking pictures.

The Pioneer is a good one! I have one (blue limited edition one). But I carry my Small Tinker now religiously over my old Vic Adventurer (essentially a one blade 111mm Tinker). The Electrician would work for you too I think.

My SAK would be the very last knife I have in my pocket....... other than for limited needs, it handles what I need to do. That reminds me. I need to make a couple passes on the stone on the main blade as I was digging weeds in the yard yesterday with it. Bigger knife works better, but I have to plan ahead to have a larger knife on me in the yard and frequently requires a special trip back in the house or I just use the little tinker.

My SAK has become an essential tool when I'm out wandering around taking pictures.

I was carrying a small tinker quite frequently, this was after trying a full sized one and finding it a bit bulky. I found the pioneer by virtue of being thinner even though longer carries a bit better. The in line awl is really what sold me though

I was in the hospital today for out patient surgery.... as I took off my street clothes my little Tinker fell to the carpeted floor. The nurse said she had a sak in her purse too and said they are quite useful at times.

Added: Expecting about a $10K pop on this one. I just hope insurance covers most of it. I've had this procedure done before. Could have put if off for a few months, but I wanted to deal with the issue which I only discovered (diagnosed) on Tuesday but developed over Labor Day weekend where I could feel the constant pain. Not even two full days after diagnosis before I hit the hospital.

Last edited:
I do like how non knife people friendly they are... I live in a pretty rural area so pocket knives are still part of daily life, but my amblings do take me elsewhere on occasion.

I was in the hospital today for out patient surgery.... as I took off my street clothes my little Tinker fell to the carpeted floor. The nurse said she had a sak in her purse too and said they are quite useful at times.

Added: Expecting about a $10K pop on this one. I just hope insurance covers most of it. I've had this procedure done before. Could have put if off for a few months, but I wanted to deal with the issue which I only discovered (diagnosed) on Tuesday but developed over Labor Day weekend where I could feel the constant pain. Not even two full days after diagnosis before I hit the hospital.
Very best of luck with it Sir.

Pomsbz Pomsbz It's past and thanks; it will take a few weeks to determine how successful the procedure was (kidney stone). Was surprised they prescribed some pretty hefty pain meds considering the horror stories I have been hearing about from people dealing with pain all the time. I hope I don't need to take any of the pills. That has been my MO for a long time. I tend to do over the counter stuff until pain is absolutely severe, not just uncomfortable. To date, that has meant, no hard core pain meds after multiple surgeries over the years. But I do want to have them on hand as I know just how difficult to get such things is after the fact.

Pomsbz Pomsbz It's past and thanks; it will take a few weeks to determine how successful the procedure was (kidney stone). Was surprised they prescribed some pretty hefty pain meds considering the horror stories I have been hearing about from people dealing with pain all the time. I hope I don't need to take any of the pills. That has been my MO for a long time. I tend to do over the counter stuff until pain is absolutely severe, not just uncomfortable. To date, that has meant, no hard core pain meds after multiple surgeries over the years. But I do want to have them on hand as I know just how difficult to get such things is after the fact.

Definitely hope you feel better, all the best to you.
I was really undecided on the scissors, though I find myself using them more often that I would have guessed.
I carry it to work everyday now instead of my SOG, and have been belt carrying my Morakniv when I'm doing farm tasks that require more cutting heft.
Cheers all!

While I could "get by" with just a Recruit, If I could just have one, my choice would be a coin toss between the Field Master and Huntsman, for the saw and scissors ... Happily I can have more than one. :)
After tossing the proverbial coin, I'm going to say the Huntsman.
1) I already have one.
2) I have a bicycle multi-tool that has a Number 2 Phillips, so the one on the Fieldmaster would be redundant.

I wouldn't complain if they removed the small blade on the Huntsman and moved the punch/awl to that location.
I find the punch/awl much more useful when it isn't centered on the bottom, when removing thorns from my bicycle tires.
The punch/awl position on the Recruit is much, much better.

If I had the funds, or it was going to be issued to me, I guess the Pioneer X would be acceptable. No back tools, the punch/awl is in the right location, and it has them super handy for eliminating those ultra annoying loose threads, hangnails, and wild hairs scissors. :)

After tossing the proverbial coin, I'm going to say the Huntsman.
1) I already have one.
2) I have a bicycle multi-tool that has a Number 2 Phillips, so the one on the Fieldmaster would be redundant.

I wouldn't complain if they removed the small blade on the Huntsman and moved the punch/awl to that location.
I find the punch/awl much more useful when it isn't centered on the bottom, when removing thorns from my bicycle tires.
The punch/awl position on the Recruit is much, much better.

If I had the funds, or it was going to be issued to me, I guess the Pioneer X would be acceptable. No back tools, the punch/awl is in the right location, and it has them super handy for eliminating those ultra annoying loose threads, hangnails, and wild hairs scissors. :)
I have several knives with awls/punches and I agree with you. I find the awls located on backside of the SAKs are more prone to close at inopportune times than the ones mounted in line.

CyberTool M.

Explorer Plus is close, but the Cyber driver is an order of magnitude better than a regular Phillips.

Manager is close too, but too small a blade, sometimes.

Swisschamp. It's the only SAK that has all the implements I use in a pocket sized format. At present, I have a few other multi-tools, changing out as needed, but if I were restricted to one only, Swisschamp would be my choice. Decades ago, when I had only one, that was it. Now that I have several in different sizes, I can be more flexible. It was kept it in a Leatherman pouch on my belt, where it was seldom noticed until needed for something.

ipIQ7weh.png

Back