1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I'm done with Benchmade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Torquem, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Even worse when you buy on line. I feel like you get the ones everyone else picked over and rejected.

I have four Benchmade all Triage models. All but the last one is perfect. It just doesn’t open like the first 3. Not really a warranted issue. Just not quite the same. Oh well.

Like the Op I’m done with them too. The Triage is their only model I like and I don’t need anymore.

brandonc and GIRLYmann like this.
  2. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    So...we still have no clue what was wrong...

gotgoat likes this.
  3. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm done with click bait posters who make outrageous claims without back-up!

I'm done I say! No more threads like this for me!

(until the next thread fires up, of course)

Dallas T, Natlek, 115Italian and 14 others like this.
  4. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I just don’t see the value in their knives. The two exceptions are the Anthem and the 87. It seems like they just did an incredible job of marketing and sales in the 90’s, pretty much continue to do so, and they still remain “the” brand. A person can go to just about any outdoors store and the sales people really believe that Benchmade is top tier. IMO Spyderco can’t be beat in their price range, especially the Golden, Colorado offerings.

mb> likes this.
  5. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Kinda wild, no details on the issue???

I guess I've been overly lucky, when I collected Griptilians, at one point I had nearly 30, plus no idea how many other Benchmades, and currently have multiple Balisongs of theirs, and I've never had any significant issues, other than 1-2 with pocket clips screws that were stuck, and their customer service has always been quick to fix it, or provide a new clip screw.

Ulf Krogstad likes this.
  6. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    It was a gift from your brother. You might not be done with Benchmade if he decides to gift you another one later on.;)

7. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    So...original op...what was the issue?

jux t likes this.
  8. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    I bought my first 940 used, im not impressed either. Previous owner described lockup as 'perfect'
    Has more side to side play than any other knife i've ever handled. I'm told this is mostly 'normal benchmade action'
    I've seen people post their $400 Anthem's for sale 'tuned with the perfect amount of blade play/action'
    I wonder if their benches are wobbly, tilted or in other need of repair?

Sure i've handled some sypderco that have side to side play but can be tightened out and still have better 'action'
    this 940 might as well be a lock back when tightened to remove play.

30$ kershaw & ruike's have smoother action with no play.... whats the excuse for benchmade?

9. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Too many missing details here. What was the issue? Was the communication prior to shipping "Yes, we'll do it", or "Send it in and we'll see"? What reason was given for no warranty? OP needs to fill in some blanks.

10. Jocephus1

Jocephus1

May 30, 2007
    To the OP,
    I would politely request any pictures/info/details you might have.

jux t likes this.
  11. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I'm done with people being done with Benchmade! I've had it up to here with their shoddy grammar, lack of pictures, and shockingly inadequate command of the english language!

I'm done, I tell you! No more for me. I'm OUT.

Finished.

DONE.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  12. Minirehak212

Minirehak212

Apr 1, 2018
    I actually wonder how much of this is bad QC vs people not knowing how to set up an axis lock? I've only had 3 BM knives so my sample size is small, but they all have had perfect actions and centerings. It's not hard to learn how to properly set them up

13. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Without discussing the issue this thread is useless and can't be taken seriously.

palonej, rpttrsn, Hackenslash and 6 others like this.
  14. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Narrator voice:
    But he wasn't done

halden.doerge and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  15. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Does your perfect action include sideplay?(like the guy i bought mine from)

16. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    With no details this is just Click Bait. Might as well lock this thread down.

FortyTwoBlades and 357snubnose like this.
  17. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Sorry, but I think some of you guys ALWAYS returning stuff and complaining of issues are nuts and expecting way to much out of these knives and the companies. I've been through about 1000-2000? knives trying to find what I like best since I joined this site, and went fanatical. I've had problems with just about every single folder from every single company there is, some, lil, nit picking, problem, always. Pivots, locks, screws bål blah blah. But with a Lil tweaking once and awhile, good as gold. They cut and function well. Can rarely actually say something was complete junk, defect, bad manufacturing or design.

These threads are just laughable to me. If it was something serious, Benchmade would have fixed it. I've bought around 50 brand spanking new benchmades and never not once had one felt needed to return or complain about. Never. Loose pivot, sure, edge not so great, sure, Lil bit of lock stick, sure. But I've had those same problems FROM AT LEAST ONE KNIFE FROM EVERY SINGLE OTHER COMPANY THERE IS. All those things always fixable, easily, by my own hands.

Maybe it's just me not being overly anal and finicky about things, or maybe cause I always tweak my knives to my liking no matter what anyways out of box. I don't know. I do think there are way to many people expecting way to much out of knives.

Benchmade has bent over backwards for me as far as their customer service and warranties. Never been disappointed. Only complaint really have is prices are getting crazy, but that's the same with every other company.

18. Gravy

Gravy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Did OP abandon this thread? Was interested in what happened but this thread really has no purpose if OP disappears.

19. atdegs

atdegs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Also interested to hear the other side of the story, but in any case it's unfortunate you felt shafted by the whole deal. BM is my local brand, I can just about see it across the river from my house, and I've always considered them to be a top notch company. Regardless of whether or not they should have fixed your issue, I would have at least hoped for better communication.

20. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Benchmade has been always good to me.It might not get resolve the first time around but it always works out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.