Not open for further replies.
The Hate is all around.!
You have to repel it... with lub.
Lub hurts the Haters.

Gangsta. Haters=Ho's.
Gangsta_Baby.jpg

ROTFLMAO!:thumbup:

Howdy jsmithknives!
Thanks for dropping into the Horton Compound.

I had a few questions on putting a satin finish
on a blade.
I have a few pre-ground and sharpened blanks.
The blades need to be finished off.
I wanted to try and put a satin finish on one of them.
!st off,I just realized they are Hitachi ATS 34,
so I think that might be hard to work on.
Anyway,if I sand the blade,what should I start with,like 320
then work to 800 or so? Sand Parallel to the edge (horizontal)?
I dont really want a mirror finish,just a nice satin type finish.
Any help would be great!
Thanks again.

Well it really is pretty simple, it just takes time and patience!!!
First thing get a piece of wood or micarta and glue a piece of leather on the face to give you a good surface to wrap your sand paper around. Where you start in the way of grit really depend on how the fine the blade is finished now. Al you want is to start in a hight enough grit to get all the scratch marks going in the same direction. Then it is up to you as to how fine you want to go, 800 if done well will give you a pretty shinny finish, but you be the judge as you get closer. DON'T let the fact that it is stainless scare you, it really finishes easily, just take your time..
If you have any other questions feel free to ask...

P.S. Use good paper, good wet dry sand paper, don't get the cheap stuff from HF, but you can go to your local automotive store and you can get the multi packs in diffrent grits!

No problem, one of the other tricks is to use water on the paper in the lower grits to get the pattern going in the right direction, then switch to putting an oil like wd-40 on the paper for the last couple of grits to get a good even finish!!!

js thanks Homie,, i have been on you since the beginnin,, your talented,, thanks so much,, for your insight,,, someone who reads this will be a new customer of yours,, we stick tight,, thanks again,,, j

Any time brother, I am always here to asnsew any questions that I can, maybe one day I will have the skills you were given.
Looks like a great group of guy around here, I will have to shoot the shit more often!

you welcome,, anytime,,, your the pure artist,, i have a machine background,, im just learnin to do what you do,,, much Respect..

Hell I am just starting to pick up some of the machining end of the biz, and let me tell you, the respect is on you, that is some hard sh$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back