iMamba vs CRK in 2024

I did end up grabbing a Large Sebenza, and also have a Small Seb arriving this week to compare. Initial reaction is the large is a bit too large for my needs.
I really hope you enjoy them 👍
If you can find it, try to get an Imamba too, they are very good too

Mark Twian wrote, " It is difference of opinion that makes horse races.", or close to that. With respect to all opinions, mine is the iMamba.
Mind if I ask why? As of right now, I love everything about the CRK Sebenza, besides the action/deployment methods. Which, as others have stated, time and patience will help me develop a better understanding and muscle memory.

Sure, the fit and finish are superb. The iMamba is so smooth in deploying. There's no wrist flip needed at all. I have the Kudu bone inlays, which are really sweet. I do admit liking knives at 3 1/2 inches or just below. The CRK's I have handled are all great knives, but the iMamba just feels like "me", and meets my knife needs. Also, I have 2 AB fixed blades that are 5 to 8 years old, and they are both flawless. I think you need to go with your personality.

I've always been a CRK guy, but caved and picked up a PJ iMamba a couple of days ago. Should be here tomorrow.
Not gonna lie, it was the comparisons the CRK that did me in. I quite like the design, but the owners of both reporting that it can work just as hard was the real selling point.

I've always been a CRK guy, but caved and picked up a PJ iMamba a couple of days ago. Should be here tomorrow.
Not gonna lie, it was the comparisons the CRK that did me in. I quite like the design, but the owners of both reporting that it can work just as hard was the real selling point.
Im very interested in your experience once you receive it! Would greatly appreciate it if you could chime in after a few days of using it. As of right now, everything about the Large Sebenza has met my needs, besides the size and action. The size is something that can be changed, and the action can either be appreciated and muscle memory develops, or it just isnt for me.

Im very interested in your experience once you receive it! Would greatly appreciate it if you could chime in after a few days of using it. As of right now, everything about the Large Sebenza has met my needs, besides the size and action. The size is something that can be changed, and the action can either be appreciated and muscle memory develops, or it just isnt for me.
Will do.
I carried a large 21 for almost a decade exclusively. Still do sometimes, but have been carrying a small 31 most of the time now. The small seems better suited to the office, for the most part.
I'll put the iMamba through the paces and see how it compares for my uses. Should be a real sweet spot by size. Just a hair smaller than the large Seb.

C CHuynh22 since you mentioned action - the action of my most recently purchased CRKs was horrendous. 2 of the 3 were newly arrived from the mothership, the other was unused, NIB. None of them were anything close to smooth; and time did them no favors. I ended up breaking all three down in frustration, and was appalled at the amount of crud removed from the factory fresh knives. Since my first experience with CRK was over 20 yrs ago (they were using ATS-34 at the time), my feeling is they ain't what they used to be.

If you're a fidget flipper, I'll respectfully suggest you look at a different brand. CRK is not the knife you are looking for.

C CHuynh22 since you mentioned action - the action of my most recently purchased CRKs was horrendous. 2 of the 3 were newly arrived from the mothership, the other was unused, NIB. None of them were anything close to smooth; and time did them no favors. I ended up breaking all three down in frustration, and was appalled at the amount of crud removed from the factory fresh knives. Since my first experience with CRK was over 20 yrs ago (they were using ATS-34 at the time), my feeling is they ain't what they used to be.

If you're a fidget flipper, I'll respectfully suggest you look at a different brand. CRK is not the knife you are looking for.
I've definitely considered that since almost everyone has said the same thing!

After handling the Large, and maybe this is just me trying to convince myself the purchase but opening/closing the Sebenza scratches a different itch.

I have tried cross bar locks (Kizer, Benchmade) shark locks (Flytanium Arcade, Demko AD20.5) , and compression locks (Sage 5). Out of these three, I prefer the Sage 5. I did not like the detent, or lack of, on the cross bar and shark locks. What was satisfying for me from the Sage 5 was the Detent, and the "resistance" I had to overcome when opening the knife. The ease of closing the blade just made it so I could open it again faster, but wasn't the satisfying part of the action.

As I said earlier, it's an itch that won't go away until it is scratched.
Speaking for myself only, I have preferred just about every comparably priced knife I have tried over CRK, and many lower priced. I'm not saying this to knock the brand - I really have tried to like them; as evidenced by the 6 I still own (and the 3 I have sold). I won't deny that they are great knives, they just don't ring MY bell.
My favorite CRK to date:
View attachment 2486067

As I said earlier, it's an itch that won't go away until it is scratched.
Speaking for myself only, I have preferred just about every comparably priced knife I have tried over CRK, and many lower priced. I'm not saying this to knock the brand - I really have tried to like them; as evidenced by the 6 I still own (and the 3 I have sold). I won't deny that they are great knives, they just don't ring MY bell.
My favorite CRK to date:
View attachment 2486067
That's a beautiful knife!

Out of curiosity, what brands do you prefer/recommend most?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from CRK. I think you should give them a reasonable chance to earn a place in your pocket.

If CRK does it for you - I'm truly jealous. If not, ring my bell (though I've already mentioned three very different knives)
View attachment 2486073
The top knife really surprised me - pretty much the size of a small inkosi (which I've decried as too small); but it just works. I've used it harder than any folder besides my ZT0200kw & never found it lacking. (It did require a drop of KPL on each side because it was a bear to open when I received it). It owned my pocket for over two years, and still gets carried regularly.

Last edited:
And folks wonder how they got so far down the rabbit hole…

I have both CRK’s and iMamba’s. Both are fantastic. I used them hard in a construction environment.

Can’t go wrong with either brand. 👍🏼

I'm not trying to dissuade you from CRK. I think you should give them a reasonable chance to earn a place in your pocket.

If CRK does it for you - I'm truly jealous. If not, ring my bell (though I've already mentioned three very different knives)
View attachment 2486073
The top knife really surprised me - pretty much the size of a small inkosi (which I've decried as too small); but it just works. I've used it harder than any folder besides my ZT0200kw & never found it lacking. (It did require a drop of KPL on each side because it was a bear to open when I received it). It owned my pocket for over two years, and still gets carried regularly.
I’m holding out for a 3.25 shf with the color finish, unlikely, like yours. So cool.

Crk isnt even close to superior. I own every model crk folder currently offered, and 2 imambas. AB beats em in fit and finish, customer service, and options. Frankly, crks feel like a gas station knife in comparison. Crks "spa service" is useless tripe that takes months. I have access to a blaster, so thats no draw, and the last 2 i got back from them had more issues than when sent in.
CRK have def gone downhill since they kicked its namesake to the kerb. Never had any issues with them prior. Now customer service sucks. They don’t support their old knives. And every one I buy now has some sort of fit and finish issue. All the while the price keeps going up and they seem to have implemented this Rolex scarcity business model… give me Arno as a company any day

Spot on. My ‘Chris era’ crk are all leagues ahead of the modern cash grab stuff they put out. Been carrying my imamba this last few weeks - can’t fault it

View attachment 2486073
What is the top one?

Back