iMamba vs CRK in 2024

So, I see what all the fuss is about now.
The tolerances and build quality are definitely on par. The action is ...technical? Precise? This one is the newer model w/ the caged bearing and updated detent tuning, but not so new as to have the skeletonized blade (I didn't like it with the Mnandi and don't like it on these, each their own).
Perfect tension for flipper tab use or just flicking out w/ a finger. Some lock bar death if you don't have it positioned correctly, but not as bad as CRK used to be, probably because of the wider scales. Regardless, it was real easy to avoid and now I don't notice it at all. The weight doesn't bother me in the least. It's not a heavy knife.

Size wise it carries like a large Seb more than a small, but just a nudge shorter to feel less like a sword in the hand. A sweet spot.
I'm surprisingly happy w/ the whole package. Hell, I might even get an inlay version. If I do that though, I'd go flipper delete. The action is so smooth and responsive it really doesn't need the tab.
Christ, I haven't had the knife for 24hrs yet and am already considering what version I'll buy next. That should say something. (probably just that I'm foolish)
I'll probably put a CRK lanyard stud on it. Thanks Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery for the heads up that those fit.

Now I just need to carry it for a while and put it through the paces. This one is going to get used the same way I'd use a Sebenza, which is as a working knife. I've got no experience w/ RWL-34. Getting to know a new steel is always fun, though.

It is very analogous to CPM154 if you have any experience with that. Having sharpened my iMamba a few times, I can say that it seems heat treated very well and wasn't particularly difficult.
I've liked it well enough in the slipjoints Ive owned that used it. Most of those were small batch or customs. I detested it in the old Benchmades, but I expect that was more Benchmade's fault than the metal.
Like anything else, it's all down to heat treat and grind. I am interested to find out how it takes to the stones, but I expect I won't be terribly disappointed. Folks aren't shy to share when a blade underperforms, and I've heard precious little of that.

So, I see what all the fuss is about now.
The tolerances and build quality are definitely on par. The action is ...technical? Precise? This one is the newer model w/ the caged bearing and updated detent tuning, but not so new as to have the skeletonized blade (I didn't like it with the Mnandi and don't like it on these, each their own).
Perfect tension for flipper tab use or just flicking out w/ a finger. Some lock bar death if you don't have it positioned correctly, but not as bad as CRK used to be, probably because of the wider scales. Regardless, it was real easy to avoid and now I don't notice it at all. The weight doesn't bother me in the least. It's not a heavy knife.

Size wise it carries like a large Seb more than a small, but just a nudge shorter to feel less like a sword in the hand. A sweet spot.
I'm surprisingly happy w/ the whole package. Hell, I might even get an inlay version. If I do that though, I'd go flipper delete. The action is so smooth and responsive it really doesn't need the tab.
Christ, I haven't had the knife for 24hrs yet and am already considering what version I'll buy next. That should say something. (probably just that I'm foolish)
I'll probably put a CRK lanyard stud on it. Thanks Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery for the heads up that those fit.

Now I just need to carry it for a while and put it through the paces. This one is going to get used the same way I'd use a Sebenza, which is as a working knife. I've got no experience w/ RWL-34. Getting to know a new steel is always fun, though.

That's beautiful and exact model I would go with!

Thanks for the follow up. I'm going to give the Small Sebenza a solid month before I decide if I want to keep it or move on.

Reverse flicking/thumb flicking is an old habit that I have to consciously remind myself this knife isn't made for. Though to be fair, I am ABLE to flick the small Sebenza due to dual studs. It just doesn't feel...natural or effortless. Takes some thought and making sure my hand/finger is positioned correctly.

That's beautiful and exact model I would go with!

Thanks for the follow up. I'm going to give the Small Sebenza a solid month before I decide if I want to keep it or move on.

Reverse flicking/thumb flicking is an old habit that I have to consciously remind myself this knife isn't made for. Though to be fair, I am ABLE to flick the small Sebenza due to dual studs. It just doesn't feel...natural or effortless. Takes some thought and making sure my hand/finger is positioned correctly.
The 31's flick just fine if thats what you want. They just have to break in first, and that takes some time. Maybe more than a month sorta time.
I don't flick 'em though. I just like to slow roll 'em out.
The iMamba though, that guy gets flicked.

I did have to bring it to the stones early, but it was just to get some high polish off the edge. It was slipping a bit, as those do. I just ran it through the steps quickly to give it some tooth. Performing much more how I like now.

I did have to bring it to the stones early, but it was just to get some high polish off the edge. It was slipping a bit, as those do. I just ran it through the steps quickly to give it some tooth. Performing much more how I like now.

Yep. I think that one reason customs and others like AB and even Grimsmo like RWL34 is that it does take a very polished edge; but for my usual purposes of a knife - ie. in use - I prefer some tooth. My iMamba sits at 1000 grit and I get good results with it.

…This one is the newer model w/ the caged bearing and updated detent tuning, but not so new as to have the skeletonized blade…
My apologies if I missed it, but did Arno Bernard quit offering the non-skeletonized version?

My apologies if I missed it, but did Arno Bernard quit offering the non-skeletonized version?
I don't know if you can still request the fuller rather than the skeletonized. I've only seen the skeletonized on their site currently.

I could see myself enjoying a (non-flipper) iMamba; but I don't really want to deal with the US dealer again (nothing major, just got rubbed the wrong way - which, admittedly, isn't all that difficult - luckily, there was a legitimate reason to return the knife and walk away). I've admired AB fixed blades for years...so maybe that is the place to start; but it was always the Rinkhals that I wanted.

I could see myself enjoying a (non-flipper) iMamba; but I don't really want to deal with the US dealer again (nothing major, just got rubbed the wrong way - which, admittedly, isn't all that difficult - luckily, there was a legitimate reason to return the knife and walk away). I've admired AB fixed blades for years...so maybe that is the place to start; but it was always the Rinkhals that I wanted.
Can you order straight from the Arno boys? Been pretty painless in my experience

Can you order straight from the Arno boys? Been pretty painless in my experience
Probably, with wood or no inlays. If I remember correctly, there was wording regarding the hassles, time, and cost of getting the necessary inspections for individual shipments containing animal products (I'd want bone). Having dealt with CITES stuff in the past, I stopped there and went to the distributor's site (it's true, on all three counts).

One and done is my preferred route, as of right now. If you're into firearms/AR's I went the one and done route with a KAC for reference.

Mind if I ask, if CRK wasn't made in USA and didn't offer their spa service would it still be top choice?
Sebenza was designed and made in South Africa before Chris moved to USA. Just like iMamba. What if the Bernard brothers moved to the States. Would it make you want the iMamba more? Do you have a personal philosophy on origin? I personally love USA made knives on principle - the reason I replaced my Spyderco Dragonfly with a Lil’ Native. I lusted after a Sebenza for a long time (I’m South African). I eventually owned a large and small but the cone shaped thumb stud did not like my thumb, I am very sensory and the opening never felt nice for my hand, also the blade shape in practice just bugged me a little. I sold both. I was disappointed. I never bought a very expensive knife again. I rather like Spyderco for many reasons. I finally came to the realization I prefer thumb holes over studs or disks. I have an iMamba coming that my friend is sending me from back home. Can’t wait. A gift so it’s not going to be sold.

CRK have def gone downhill since they kicked its namesake to the kerb. Never had any issues with them prior. Now customer service sucks. They don’t support their old knives. And every one I buy now has some sort of fit and finish issue. All the while the price keeps going up and they seem to have implemented this Rolex scarcity business model… give me Arno as a company any day
Rolex scarcity was a result of recent world events. Investors and flippers jumped on luxury watches, art, vintage cars. Rolex seems finally returned to no waitlists for the most part. Of course the most popular models (Sub date black, Daytona Panda, GMT Pepsi Jubilee) will be harder to get and often sell above retail. At least you are assured of hand made in Switzerland and flawless (and appreciating in value), unlike CRK apparently. I haven’t handled a Sebenza since I sold mine 14 years ago. I do recall Mick Striders knives of the same era to be objectively poorer fit and finish to Chris Reeve’s

CRK have def gone downhill since they kicked its namesake to the kerb. Never had any issues with them prior. Now customer service sucks. They don’t support their old knives. And every one I buy now has some sort of fit and finish issue. All the while the price keeps going up and they seem to have implemented this Rolex scarcity business model… give me Arno as a company any day
Chris was an obsessive perfectionist. Old school. I’ve seen his son in interviews. Obviously not the same man. But trying hard I suspect.

I've liked it well enough in the slipjoints Ive owned that used it. Most of those were small batch or customs. I detested it in the old Benchmades, but I expect that was more Benchmade's fault than the metal.
Like anything else, it's all down to heat treat and grind. I am interested to find out how it takes to the stones, but I expect I won't be terribly disappointed. Folks aren't shy to share when a blade underperforms, and I've heard precious little of that.
I chatted to one of the Bernard brothers. He said they have found that steel has performed very well for them. I suppose they just have their recipe down to perfection.

Rolex scarcity was a result of recent world events. Investors and flippers jumped on luxury watches, art, vintage cars. Rolex seems finally returned to no waitlists for the most part. Of course the most popular models (Sub date black, Daytona Panda, GMT Pepsi Jubilee) will be harder to get and often sell above retail. At least you are assured of hand made in Switzerland and flawless (and appreciating in value), unlike CRK apparently. I haven’t handled a Sebenza since I sold mine 14 years ago. I do recall Mick Striders knives of the same era to be objectively poorer fit and finish to Chris Reeve’s
I reckon Rolex started making certain sports models harder to get in 2017. Definitely a concerted strategy IMO - just went into hyperdrive during Covid.

Sebenza was designed and made in South Africa before Chris moved to USA. Just like iMamba. What if the Bernard brothers moved to the States. Would it make you want the iMamba more? Do you have a personal philosophy on origin? I personally love USA made knives on principle - the reason I replaced my Spyderco Dragonfly with a Lil’ Native. I lusted after a Sebenza for a long time (I’m South African). I eventually owned a large and small but the cone shaped thumb stud did not like my thumb, I am very sensory and the opening never felt nice for my hand, also the blade shape in practice just bugged me a little. I sold both. I was disappointed. I never bought a very expensive knife again. I rather like Spyderco for many reasons. I finally came to the realization I prefer thumb holes over studs or disks. I have an iMamba coming that my friend is sending me from back home. Can’t wait. A gift so it’s not going to be sold.
Me, personally, the fact that CRK's are made in USA doesn't add a lot of value that it does for others. Or at the very least, a knife made outside of the US does not deter me.

But that does seem to have a lot of value for others, so the question was just seeing if the scales would tip if CRK was made anywhere else, with the same quality/warranty.

Back