Import or domestic

Hey guys, I started building up a collection of mostly higher end budget folders this year. 28 so far! Some are USA made ( Some Kershaw's, Spyderco's ) , but most were manufactured abroad, like Taiwan, China, Italy, etc. Some of them, like Bestech, CRKT, CIVIVI, Ruike, are in my opinion, pretty nice knives, for the money I paid for them. I'm hoping to be able to afford a better quality folder before years end. Should I save up and get a Cris Reeve, or Spartan , Hinderer, or other premium USA made knife? Or should I save less, but get a arguably just as nice knife (or 2) from overseas, like a Reate, or WE model? I'm not rich, so I am kinda tempted to get 2 top shelf quality China made knives for the price of one USA made. Is this unreasonable or unpatriotic? I sure would like to hear your take on it, thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks kreole, the market sure has changed since I was last into knives, years ago. The quality and choice of materials available is mind blowing! Whatever I go with, one thing is for sure, It's a great time to be a blade enthusiast!! I appreciate your input 4 sure!

I tend to lean towards USA made but that doesn’t mean you have to. There are some high quality manufacturers out of Europe and Asia that rival high end USA fit and finish. Pick the one (or two or three) that appeal most to you. Just don’t buy cheap clones!

Thank you blades&wrenches. Good advise about the clones. Tempting, but deep inside, I'd always regret it. My Cold Steel 4Max was made in Italy, not sure by who, but it is impressive fit and finish for sure. I very much appreciate advice from a gold member! Thanks!

Should I save up and get a Cris Reeve, or Spartan , Hinderer, or other premium USA made knife?

It may sound naive or tree hugger but I'm an Eartharian you might have caught that from my avatar. My word; I don't affiliate myself with any other group using it.

Technically when the nuclear devices hit the fan, the oceans die and weather gets too weird to deal with funny little pieces of cloth and boarder walls aren't going to amount to anything. That's old school, kids.

The last few knives I just bought (Case and Chris Reeve) are excellent !
I prefer to support my neighbors but some of my favorite knives were made in Japan or Taiwan so I'm not drawing the line if I get hooked by a superior design (handle shape, blade shape, grind or blade material).

I have no high end Chinese knives yet the overall package has not happened to do it for me. I have a few low priced Chinese made knives that have blown me away at the fit and finish. They have been designs by people from other countries contracted through some of the largest knife companies and they have been real winners !

But yeah . . . buy what catches your eye and fits your uses.

Two of the very best deals out there quality and performance wise would be a Cold Steel large Voyager or a Kershaw Chill. Two super different knives and they work well carried at the same time if you like.

I love all the subtle differences between the makers. That's what it is about.
Heck . . . buy a custom if you know what you really want.

The Voyager and the Chill
IMG_5900.jpg

And a size comparison with a Gayle Bradley and a Griptillian
IMG_4336.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Wowbagger, I enjoyed reading your reply. You have some good insight there! I actually already have some nice Cold Steel knives too. My (Lynn) Thompson Signature edition Voyager, Rajah 2 and Holdout 1 in green G10 and CTS XHP were what I thought was the ultimate at the time I picked them. They still are top choices should the intestinal matter impact the oscillating propeller device. I'm sure if I had to stab a zombie through the head, it wouldn't scoff at me for not using a 600 dollar knife instead of a "lowly" Cold Steel, ha ha. Like you say, it's all in intended purpose and sometimes more expensive doesn't equal better.

be flexible - variety is the spice of life!
one man's limited buying power of domestic or imported goods will not immediately change the fate of competing economies.
however an uncontrolled level of personal expenditure might leave one in financial ruin.
so, a winning product s always going to be the one that delivers the best value for the money.
thus, one only needs to understand what the outcome of production cost has upon the eventual cost effectiveness of a product.
look, its rare for a knife to retain its high favorable appeal in terms of its design or appearence, technical splendor or
wonderment, and or superiority of materials used in its construction, for it simply becomes kinda unpredictable once it is viewed in the long term.
sentiments or opinions change because of continued advancement in technology and
factors relating to the human appreciation
for art and fascination of technology and all things new.
Simply put, man made objects get
out moded after a period of time and
quite frankly, fall out of favor because
it becomes or is viewed as old fashion.
When you buy something of superior
quality, it may physically out last its
lesser built contemporaries; but only
to the exend of how well its cared for.
yes, it is important to know and understand
the meaning of your intended purchase.
define its purpose, and i m certain
it will be much clearer as to why it
has become an object of fascination
and necessaity :)
imho, the issue is how to expand the
pleasure of ownership and make plans
to achieve your immediate goals
that is within reach.
because anything beyond ones reach is
probanbly in the relm of future plans.
life is short and regrets happen
because of missed opportunities.
beware the insatiable appetite!
the more, the merrier :)

Last edited:
I hear you, GIRLYmann, I've got to watch out my knife needs aren't replaced by wants, obsessions, finance ruining , tail chasing , dreams of that next " perfect " knife! Although a fun hobby that may encompass metallurgy, modern manufacturing techniques, design elements, even "art", best to make sure what tickles ones fancy is realistic in a financial and moral sense. When is enough enough? There's always one knife that I don't have, do I really need it, or is this a potentially obsessive hobby that requires clear thinking and realistic goals, so I don't overspend myself to ruin, haha, Thanks, your words help me gain perspective.

I’d just start researching the models that interest you and sort through those to find the one that clicks the most. I use and carry more U.S. made knives than overseas, but that wouldn’t stop me from buying one that spoke to me. I’m seriously considering a WE made Dogtooth, there are a few things that are holding me back thus far, but where it was manufactured is not one.

Some Reates are actually more expensive than a CRK, so either side of the coin has the high dollar purchase. Just choose the one you think you’d enjoy the most.

If you don't have any moral/political issues with buying Chinese knives then I think it comes down entirely to what you like the most. I completely respect the folks that keep their luxury purchases inside the states, personally I like my collection to have a bit of international flair, so I have knives from France, Italy, Spain, Germany, China, Taiwan, the USA, Canada and Japan.

Hey guys, I started building up a collection of mostly higher end budget folders this year. 28 so far! Some are USA made ( Some Kershaw's, Spyderco's ) , but most were manufactured abroad, like Taiwan, China, Italy, etc. Some of them, like Bestech, CRKT, CIVIVI, Ruike, are in my opinion, pretty nice knives, for the money I paid for them. I'm hoping to be able to afford a better quality folder before years end. Should I save up and get a Cris Reeve, or Spartan , Hinderer, or other premium USA made knife? Or should I save less, but get a arguably just as nice knife (or 2) from overseas, like a Reate, or WE model? I'm not rich, so I am kinda tempted to get 2 top shelf quality China made knives for the price of one USA made. Is this unreasonable or unpatriotic? I sure would like to hear your take on it, thanks!

Save up to buy whatever knife model you like. The only thing to consider in the case of China is that you’re buying from a totalitarian state that gives a crap about its people and continuously seeks to restrict and violate basic human rights. They also hate the US and the freedom it represents. Every time you buy from China you’re giving money to that regime. It has nothing to do with patriotism but rather with basic human decency. Now as far as the question does buying foreign make you less patriotic? I think that’s kinda silly. Buy whatever knife you like. I buy European knives all the time and that doesn’t mean I don’t love this country.

Stop buying 28 cheap folders and get one or two nicer ones. See if you can offload what you have and recoup some of the money to put into a higher end knife. Either domestic or foreign, it's like beer, eventually you will try both, but don't buy the cheap stuff.

If you don't have any moral/political issues with buying Chinese knives....

Hahaha. I guess I’m one of those guys with moral/political issues. ;) I didn’t start that way but it’s just kinda evolved into that.

Maxawear Maxawear , do you have any folders in the $150-250 range? Personally I really like some of the Spyderco & ZT offerings in that category, and it’s what I tend to carry and use most. Even though I’m a CRK fan, there is lots of ground between what I’d call “budget” and the Hinderer/Spartan/Reeve level.

Last edited:
Your money, your choices. There are no right answers here. Buy the knives that you like :)

As for the prices, "too much" tends to be an increasing number when you hang around Bladeforums ;)

This.

BUT!
After I broke the 400$ limit with my first Hinderer, I don't look at knives below 50 bucks anymore. Mostly because the Hinderer does everything I want(nevermind the fact that I've bought two more Hinderers since) of a knife, while being very good looking.

I don't mean to say that you have to spend THAT amount of money, but up to a point, you get what you pay for.

Hahaha. I guess I’m one of those guys with moral/political issues. ;) I didn’t start that way but it’s just kinda evolved into that.

Maxawear Maxawear , do you have any folders in the $150-250 range? Personally I really like some of the Spyderco & ZT offerings in that category, and it’s what I tend to carry and use most. Even though I’m a CRK fan, there is lots of ground between what I’d call “budget” and the Hinderer/Spartan/Reeve level.
Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with folks deciding to keep their purchases domestic. It's not my deal, but I also think you can get a whole lot of amazing knives that are made right here in the US and I'm grateful for it!

I’d just start researching the models that interest you and sort through those to find the one that clicks the most. I use and carry more U.S. made knives than overseas, but that wouldn’t stop me from buying one that spoke to me. I’m seriously considering a WE made Dogtooth, there are a few things that are holding me back thus far, but where it was manufactured is not one.

Some Reates are actually more expensive than a CRK, so either side of the coin has the high dollar purchase. Just choose the one you think you’d enjoy the most.
This.

BUT!
After I broke the 400$ limit with my first Hinderer, I don't look at knives below 50 bucks anymore. Mostly because the Hinderer does everything I want(nevermind the fact that I've bought two more Hinderers since) of a knife, while being very good looking.

I don't mean to say that you have to spend THAT amount of money, but up to a point, you get what you pay for.
This.

BUT!

Holy Hinderer! I get what you mean though, thanx!

True, true. I must check out this DOGTOOTH...

Yessir, I've recently aquired Spyderco Pm2 in m390, para3 in maxemet, Manix2 in cruwear Awesome, I really don' know why I feel the need for more...I do have my eye on that ZT 0920 blublk sprint run. Pricey, but not 600 !
QUOTE="Insipid Moniker, post: 19205634, member: 292825"]Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with folks deciding to keep their purchases domestic. It's not my deal, but I also think you can get a whole lot of amazing knives that are made right here in the US and I'm grateful for it![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back