Import or domestic

ultimately, I think this question is moot, the right answer is make it yourself ; )

when you go down this rabbit hole deep enough, you'll end up running into all the bladesmiths
at least that's my conclusion
ultimately, I think this question is moot, the right answer is make it yourself ; )

when you go down this rabbit hole deep enough, you'll end up running into all the bladesmiths
at least that's my conclusion
Thanks @dirc. I wish I had the skill to make my own, I do watch videos of others to learn what I can. I sure would love to meet all the blacksmiths, maybe someday we'll all be together in blade Valhalla of sorts. Until then, I appreciate the works of them all, even if I never get to see or hold most of their creations. Even the 1st caveman who chipped out a blade to use, we had to start somewhere!

One observation I see with China knives is companies like Kizer,We,Artisian to name a few,come out with model after model,with many that are getting a bit outlandish,with carved up holes in the blades,over the top designs,in some cases,and really wacky blade shapes,too.Someone on these forums said these knives have no soul; I think hes right; just pumping out every kooky and crazy design they can come up with,then they fade away as fast as they appear,ending up like yesterdays news,if you will.I don't see timeless designs by them that stick around or improve apon, like the spyderco military,or endura for example;cant think of any knives from China that were designed 3 years ago which are still around today,and have the following like many spyderco,benchmade or ZT models....

One observation I see with China knives is companies like Kizer,We,Artisian to name a few,come out with model after model,with many that are getting a bit outlandish,with carved up holes in the blades,over the top designs,in some cases,and really wacky blade shapes,too.Someone on these forums said these knives have no soul; I think hes right; just pumping out every kooky and crazy design they can come up with,then they fade away as fast as they appear,ending up like yesterdays news,if you will.I don't see timeless designs by them that stick around or improve apon, like the spyderco military,or endura for example;cant think of any knives from China that were designed 3 years ago which are still around today,and have the following like many spyderco,benchmade or ZT models....
Excellent point goldie goldie . I want a timeless classic, not a " flash in the pan ". Another good reason to stick with better known, proven brands. Thanks for pointing that out, who wants a knife with no soul, anyway?

Welcome to the forums! Prepare to open your mind and empty your wallet.

I own and have owned knives made from all over; budget, mid level, and custom. I've gotten to the point where there isn't much over $250 that draws my eye, or at least enough for me to reach for my wallet. I was underwhelmed by the Sebenza.

As far as flash in the pan designs, well that is what the general pop wants now. The latest, greatest, most ostentatious design. ZT has phased out most of their original designs.

I would say buy what you like. Doesn't matter where it's made, as long as it's made well.

Maxawear, flash in the pan is another great term for those knives,not that they aren't well made,but they will be well forgotten 2-3 years from now,but knives like the PM2,for example will still be around and always be desirable....

One observation I see with China knives is companies like Kizer,We,Artisian to name a few,come out with model after model,with many that are getting a bit outlandish,with carved up holes in the blades,over the top designs,in some cases,and really wacky blade shapes,too.

You mean like this one?

7A982979-76E7-4BDB-B9B7-ACBDB1E7FB53.jpeg

SORRY! I just couldn’t resist!:p:D:p

Maker Elijah Isham loves to make weird blades, and seems to be collaborating with every company out there. Personally, I think his designs are hideous.

sqzRjcb.png

9frpOoI.png

Weird for the sake of being weird.

The Chinee have been making blades for thousands of years and can do it as well as anybody.

It just depends on what they're trying to do. It can be quality or trash. Buy the very best quality you can afford.

I have only a few import knives, traditional pattern, that I’ve bought mostly because I couldn’t find a USA made in that configuration or pattern unless I wanted to pay an arm or leg or more. As a practice I look for domestic knives and avoid imports when possible.

Maker Elijah Isham loves to make weird blades, and seems to be collaborating with every company out there. Personally, I think his designs are hideous.

sqzRjcb.png

9frpOoI.png

Yea, he does make very artsy designs that I don't think you'd actually want to use. But the civivi plethiros is a bit more subdued and is actually very nice to use.

I agree though. A lot of people show off these really over the top knives and I just think if it's even usable. Pm2, 0562...thry look great and they work great as well. And I do love my 0470...it has a good design, very modern, but it's a great user too imo.

But yea... I'm not into artsy knives.

sqzRjcb.png

9frpOoI.png

Not my top choice for a user, but I do rather like looking at it. It seems alien inspired...

Personally I like the comfort of buying something like a CRK where you can get the knife serviced/repaired if needed in the future.
Yes Odds Odds , that is a huge, often overlooked consideration. Makes it so you're not afraid to use It!

Welcome to the forums! Prepare to open your mind and empty your wallet.

I own and have owned knives made from all over; budget, mid level, and custom. I've gotten to the point where there isn't much over $250 that draws my eye, or at least enough for me to reach for my wallet. I was underwhelmed by the Sebenza.

As far as flash in the pan designs, well that is what the general pop wants now. The latest, greatest, most ostentatious design. ZT has phased out most of their original designs.

I would say buy what you like. Doesn't matter where it's made, as long as it's made well.
Very good to hear your take on this subject, K.O.D. K.O.D. thank you

Reate made the district 9 plus,which I have; a lighter version of the original with a more sog style blade, too bad they didn't keep it going and continue not only offering it,but continue slight improvements or finishes,kind of the same thing from the horizon c to the d ,then the mini versions.They are the only ones who did at least a small attempt to continue a design.I thing Reate is the best of the China made knives right now.....

Reate made the district 9 plus,which I have; a lighter version of the original with a more sog style blade, too bad they didn't keep it going and continue not only offering it,but continue slight improvements or finishes,kind of the same thing from the horizon c to the d ,then the mini versions.They are the only ones who did at least a small attempt to continue a design.I thing Reate is the best of the China made knives right now.....
Yeah, I believe you're right, goldie goldie . I hope I can get one( or 2 ) someday! Thank you for replying sir!

Back