Important announcement regarding DPx Gear and ESEE Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who don't know about it here is a picture of the original Laser Strike
laser_strike.jpg

I recall Jeff posting about receiving or speaking to a manufacturer about a survival rifle a long while back...I don't remember if there were pics, but if I had to guess, this ESEE rifle may be something to do with that..

R.A.T. and RYP,

Thanks for the info on the coming change. Good luck and God bless to both companies. RYP I'll throw a +1 to the suggestion that you continue using ROWEN for the HEST. Great knife and they do a great job.

God bless,
Adam

I think it a good idea to split ways so now you can each follow your own path and keep making incredible products. I wish the very best to both of you and now I just have twice as many forums to keep up with :D

Do you think we'll see more future collaborations with ESEE/DPX?

Good luck to both DPx Gear and ESEE Knives!

Now about the Laser Strike....
AWESOME! :D:D:D

Though this comes as a bit of a surprise, the split does make sense. I am looking forward to seeing what both companies accomplish in the future. Good luck to both ESEE and DPX!

-Connor

Posted this in "the other thread" and didn't feel like retyping it soooooo......

I can see alot of misunderstanding going on here and that's understandable considering that most folks don't know all the in's and out's or all the players involved.

From where I sit, knowing what I know I can say that this really isn't a big deal nor a game changer in any way.

DPx was evolved as it's own seperate entity from the get go and this split was always in the cards. Jeff has been drilling into our heads from day one that DPx was NOT ESEE and vis versa.

As for the warranty, details were never hashed out on it and it's been discussed ad nauseum in private since before the public ever even knew the folder was in the works.

I think we can all agree that it's not reasonable to expect a "fixed blade" warranty on a folder but I have nothing but the utmost faith in Pelton that the warranty will be more than fair.

Everyone just needs to relax a little and realize that NOTHING has changed.

~~~ drink a beer, watch the furit trees grow...~~~~
I had a beer with my popcorn while reading all the "madness" this evening, wow. :eek: .....
.... I am gonna see if I can find one of those "furit" trees and watch it grow tomorrow. :D

Sorry, I couldn't pass it up..... ;)

The only real downside to this that I see is that there is now ANOTHER subforum I have to keep careful track of.

From what I a reading this all makes perfect sense...the divergence I mean. My HEST is my backpack knife. I mean my go to work every day backpack. Where do I work? A building where I might have to pry something...read urban environment. How to I get to work? In a car. Ditto on prying.

For the woods, it's the ESEE products for me.

Along these lines then: There have always been the "what would you like to see ESEE make" threads. I piped up one day and said "bushcraft". I also said something to the effect of "a Scandinavian grind 1095 knife with the scandi bevel left un-coated". Pretty scary huh? The Laser strike looks pretty darned "bushcraft" to me, scandi or not.

Maybe I'll add "survival Puukko" to my list. That'd be a little out of character for ESEE but maybe with this divergence, the outdoor theme will grow naturally. I would love to see ESEE gather their designers, engineers, maybe even an artist or two, and come up with their own interpretation on the old faithful Mora #1. Maybe I am a little kooky but just saying...

It all sounds like a very mature business decision to me.

Good luck to both parties.

The Man Who Said No To Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart and other looting locusts demand that the manufacturer supply more product for less with every passing year.

ESEE is a lot like Snapper is, or used to be, I don't know if they still refuse to deal with Wal-Mart. Someone who owns and uses ESEE knives knows how to take care of them, or they learn in here. They know how to sharpen them. They're not disposable tools. You take care of your tools, they will take care of you.

The vasy majority of companies that do business with Wal-Mart produce disposable shit for morons. I purchase stuff there only when I have to and it's nothing of any real importance for this reason. I've had multiple electric can openers take a shit, went to manual hand crank type, garbage. Wal-Mart doesn't care to correct QC problems because they are causing the QC problems and, hey, they make more money. The government makes money and the local government makes sales tax money so no one really cares about the situation except smart people. It is almost 2011 and I use a P-38 can opener or a Camillus Demo Knife to open cans in the kitchen. Why? They work. They work because they are old tools and they were made to be used and they were made to last.

My mother, I am sure, still has the sickly yellow Sunbeam Brand can opener that she had when I was born. 42 years ago. Had a sillyassed grindstone in the back for destroying kitchen knives. :D

Holy crap we think alike!

Good luck to all the parties involved. ESEE continues to get my money because I am damn certain the tools I buy now will long outlast me and my sons.

From what I a reading this all makes perfect sense...the divergence I mean. My HEST is my backpack knife. I mean my go to work every day backpack. Where do I work? A building where I might have to pry something...read urban environment. How to I get to work? In a car. Ditto on prying.

For the woods, it's the ESEE products for me.

Along these lines then: There have always been the "what would you like to see ESEE make" threads. I piped up one day and said "bushcraft". I also said something to the effect of "a Scandinavian grind 1095 knife with the scandi bevel left un-coated". Pretty scary huh? The Laser strike looks pretty darned "bushcraft" to me, scandi or not.

Maybe I'll add "survival Puukko" to my list. That'd be a little out of character for ESEE but maybe with this divergence, the outdoor theme will grow naturally. I would love to see ESEE gather their designers, engineers, maybe even an artist or two, and come up with their own interpretation on the old faithful Mora #1. Maybe I am a little kooky but just saying...

It all sounds like a very mature business decision to me.

Good luck to both parties.
Until ESEE makes a survival puukko, check out Koster's BOB knife - bare blade ready for your choice of handle scales. 3" blade, full sized handle, 1/8" thick 1095, forge finish, reasonable price.
I did a review on it back in May - both the scandi and flat grinds.
I felt the flat grind was a better slicer, but that could just be technique.

How many businesses can you find these days where products are still made in North America, where manufacturer stood by their products, where the 'owners' interact with their clients and not to mentioned the unmatched product warranty. Not much....

Obviously Jeff and Mike put their passion first before business and for this I commend you guys. Wish you continued success!

I'm disappointed about this announcement. Kind of belated but regardless I'm still a tad bit disappointed. I thought the partnership was a great idea but still I think esee makes great knives. The worst part, to me, is the development time for new products. The level of craftsmanship really shines through on esee products and will continue to support them through whatever endeavor they partake in.

I may check for dpx gear occasionally too...

Jeff,

I can only speak for myself, but I ordered the Hest Folder with the understanding in my mind that ESEE would be involved. ESEE has a well known name and reputation for high quality knives, excellent business practices and I have dealt with you before. I have no reason to doubt, as you say, that Robert is a stand-up guy and I can trust him just as we do ESEE. However, at least for me there was an implicit understanding (even if not explicit) that ESEE was involved and was making sure things were done properly. Making payment before the knives had even been completely designed took some faith on my part and my understanding that everything would be done properly and ESEE would see to that made me more confidant of the purchase. Now to tell us a a month after payment has been made and a few days before the knives are supposed to be delivered that ESEE no longer will be involved shakes my confidence in the endeavor. Since I have already paid for the knives (the limited edition ones), I think I deserve more than, we split and everything is hunky dory.

As to the second point being discussed about timing of delivery, I agree that "things happen." While I am anxious to take a look at the knife and disappointed that I have to wait longer, that does not particularly concern me. Actually, I had expected some slippage because there was so much to get done.

I don't know Robert, but everything I have heard is that he is a top notch guy. However, when I made my decision to purchase the knife the facts were one way. Now the facts significantly change with very little explanation. I hope and expect that the Hest folder is everything we want it to be and more, but I am particularly disappointed in the timing and the way this was announced.

Chuck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back