Improvised Weapons - Whadda Ya Do?

A guy jumps up on the flight between Phoenix and San Francisco. He grabs a passing airline attendant, wraps a make-shift but sturdy garrotte around her neck (sturdy boot lace and two equally sturdy pens, tightens up on the garrotte and loudly announces the plane is being hijacked.

Whadda do, Jack? Whadda do!:mad:

I rush him and place my aluminum bodied, steel tipped Fisher Space pen in his throat. Then proceed to kick, punch, and stab his butt till he stops being naughty. A rolled magazine works well as a weapon too:) These actions might not save the hostage but no matter what we can't let the bastards win.

I'm waiting till he turns around and hitting him in the back of the head with my ancient and extremly heavy laptop, and then I'm doing the Texas Two Step on his neck. A garrote aint the easiest way to kill somebody so the hostage should have a chance if somebody attacks the hostage taker but if it comes down to her or the other 200+ people on board.... plus if the guys thinking about using it like guided missle he's gotta die. Oh just remembered something cd's are preatty sturdy plastic and can be hurled with surprising accuracy and could possibly be sharpend the possibilitys are endless............

Are we in front of or behind him? Being behind him gives us all kinds of options, if we are in front of him things are a lot tougher, as cruel as it sounds the best option may be to wait for the fa to pass out (or just go limp if s/he is smart) to allow an opening. I would think it is best to deal with the hijacker quickly, at least get him into a state in which other passengers control him, in case he has friends on board that are still lying low.

Did anyone see Denis Miller the other night, his guest was inferring that most of the air marshals are being used on flights to the airport that members of Congress use (Reagan airport? I don?t know the DC area airports) and other VIP type fights, why am I not surprised.

Todd

OH yea one last thought baseballs, "I'm just takeing this baseball to my nephew mr. security person" you've seen the footage of what happened to the bird that got hit by the fastball right :)

Kill the hostage, right?

Okay, it's SHOOT the hostage...not KILL the hostage:(

Yes, where are in relation to the terr and the hostage? Very astute.

Baseball(s). Now that's doing some thinking. However, must train in throwing them hard and accurate. Can do. Throwing weapons is a martial skill (stars, rocks, knives). Good improvisation:D

Bill, I have one of your knives. Got many moons ago from Woody. It is great piece of work.

Okay, terr and hostage are still operational. You're the only one getting your act together and are close enough to take SOME form of proactive response. There's no air marshall onboard. Not enough to go around yet.

Whadda do, Jack? Whadda do!:confused:

My first instinct is to take a pen in an icepick grip and RUN at the Bad Guy and stab at the face/neck area. If I can bury my thumb into the bad guy's eyes, all the better. If I can get help from other passengers first, all the better. If I have a cell phone, a call to someone unnoticed (if possible) first would be great too. Once starting a rush, I wouldn't want to stop. I think one's best chances f saving everyoen woudl be to forget the hostage and focus on the bad guy and sticking something in his face/nect. With extreme aggression and forward pressure, the bad guy might be overcome and the hostage saved.

If I were sitting on the blane next to Greg Walker, I might nudge Greg and tell him I have his back :) Hehe :D

If I am behind I take a pen and insert it as far as I can into the side of his neck. If I am infront I rush the BG and attendant together. If he is dedicating all his energy to the attendant I can tackle them both. Once we hit the groung I will most probably be on top. Use a wrestling type leg ride and procede to suffocate him with a choke technique. I am sure some will say that my methods will not work if the guy is bigger. Tackling, however will not be that hard since BG is not really in a position to counter my tackle because he is occupied with attendant. As far as a leg ride goes, if you have ever had one done properly to you you knopw it is effective in keeping you down on your stomach. my roommate is around 260 lbs and 6'3", I am 5"10 165 and I can keep him down with a leg ride. If by some chance I would end up onthe bottom after the tackle I would quickly gouge BG's eyes and attempt to rip them out. Sounds mean, but not as mean as trying to attack and kill innocent people. I welcome insights and suggestiong to my plan of attack that I might have missed. Or feel free to present other contigencies, as that would definately have an effect on how I would handle the situation.

Well, if hostage shooting is out of the question then it becomes a simple attack the bad guy thing with what you have.

Assuming we aren't as good as Jet Li, or Jeff Speakman for the B movie crowd, what I do is carry a bandanna with a small pocket in it, then fill it with a roll of quarters, and a Kelly Worden Kerambit. The Kerambit is the left hand weapon, bandanna is the right. If the guy tries to use the hostage as a shield, the flexible weapon goes around things and bonks the bad guy. They can't take your snot rag, or your money, so you can ALWAYS get on board with these things. The bandanna is small enough to swing on the plane, and the quarters can really do a number on a skull. Once the bad guy is tired of being beaten while holding the hostage, he'll let go. It's either that or a fractured skull. Then the angry mob of sheeple will step in to hold him down and tie him up with stuff. If they don't, you can continue beating till he stops moving, then get the crash axe and take your well deserved scalp.

The swinging weight has been around forever. It takes little skill, is easy to make, and a less then strong person can use it effectively. Take a sock and a can of coke on board, or a belt with a really heavy rodeo buckle. Or a small purse FILLED with change, or a bicycle cable with a padlock on it, or a slim water bottle in a pair of panty hose, or a huge disco zodiac medallion on a superfly gold chain (you know what I'm talking about on that one, don't you Spark?) Work it baby!

Robert...you are the MAN!!!

Disco Zodiac Medallion on a SuperFly Gold Chain!!! :D That's too much!

A sturdy pen, as Bill & a couple of others have mentioned, is a quickly deployed & effective option. Although an eye is a smaller target than the throat, a direct hit ends it right there. The eyes are a window to more than just the soul.

As to flexible/impact weapons, a steel security cable for a laptop is easier to explain to pre-flight security than a bicycle cable & would be just as effective in a number of modes. Given time to prepare, a laptop battery inside two socks (to mitigate the danger of tears) would be easier to wield & would concentrate more force in a smaller area than the entire laptop.

20" long double ended "marital aid" made of polycarbonate, ribbed for a better grip. Anyone who has the balls to get that through security is a force to be reckoned with. Besides, the sheer shock factor alone when you rush the attacker, swinging your "Big Jim Slade" bludgeon, eyes whirling, mouth agape and slavering... the mental portion of the battle would be won right there.

The mug shot photo's would be great as well, when Abdullah Amir Assbaggetah is in front of the height charge with a nice bruise across his face in the shape of... well, you know what.

"Marital Aides for Self Defense" - I can see the next article now... how to use a stubby as a yawara stick, etc.

Now, for more mainstream weapons, there's always the pimp slap with the belt, especially if you've got one with a nice, heavy buckle (I knew that "rigger" belt would come in handy!). Or the crushed altoids as a blinding weapon (insert 80's ninja magic move here). Broken CD-ROMs for slashing / stabbing (Thank god AOL sent me 100 hours free!). Spare change in a sock.

What else? Did anyone else see the article on this in Maxim btw?

Kevin

Spark -

I can see the headlines now.

"al-Queda hijack foiled by dildo-swinging ex-green beret".

Oh yeah, here it comes...:)

The next 4-page "secret" fighting art ads are on their way. Yur killin' me here:D

Okay, we've got the following improvised weapons:

1. Sturdy pen (metal body, yes? That means a good CROSS pen)
2. Handkerchief, sturdy, of size large enough to use for improve sap
3. Change purse filled with quarters, dimes, nickles (no rolled)
4. Spark's "San Francisco Special":eek:
5. Sturdy garrison belt w/ significant buckle (biker/paratrooper)
6. CD you have pre-cracked and don't care about (Brittney?)
7. Stealth cable
8. At least two "D" batteries w/ Bandanna (items sold separately)
9. Empty hand - Sweeps, gouges, chokes, hair pulls, rips, bone break

Skills / Tactical Considerations:

Environmental awareness - Where am I in relation to the event?
Communication - Can I first alert someone on the ground?
Deception - How can I get to the BG?
Risk - What may most likely happen if nothing is done right NOW?
Safety - Ours vrs. His
Command & Control - Presence / Leadership in Action
Security - How do we secure this idiot once he's been taken down?

Okay -

You've made your plan and got your improvised weapon ready. The 'jacker is pulling the hostage toward the front portion of the plane. She is resisting enough to make control of her tough. They are beginning to move past your seat...which is a window seat on the port side of the plane. You have no one in the middle seat, and a 15-year old traveling alone on the aisle.

Whadda do, Jack? Whadda do!
:mad:

I'd be really tempted to act, like, NOW.
As soon as BG passes my location (has his back to me?), quickly get past the 15 year old and attack BG's eyes. In my experience in groundfighting, if your eyes are attacked, even just with moderate finger pressure, you WILL stop whatever you are doing, and your attention will go to the eye threat.
Hopefully, BG releases hostage, if not, he will be largely neutralized from lack of vision. If BG releases hostage, attempt to put him on the ground.
Get one of his arms,
break it.
Probably break the other one.
Make eye contact with another passenger who appears "suitable". Tell him to help me restrain this guy.
Watch for possible accomplices.
Get a weapon (improvised).
Ask for any medically trained passengers to help the flight attendant.
Make eye contact with another passenger, ask them to go alert the cockpit personnel.

Anyway, that's the theory.:)

I'm 5'11", 270 lbs. I've trained daily for ~25 years in a Chinese martial art style that among other things specializes in bonebreaking and joint redesign.

I feed the 15 year old into the legs of the hijacker as I make my move, to slow him down.

I then disassemble the hijacker. Weapons immediately available to me on a flight these days, since they stopped letting me carry my Endura:

<li> hands, feet, elbows, knees, head, ...
<li> Big old nasty fountain pen
<li> Belt with big old nasty buckle
<li> Handkerchief with load
<li> Cut-resistant gloves
<li> Mini-maglight
<li> Strangely-sharp metal reinforcing liners in my briefcase :)
<li> Airline food

You forgot your seasoning pack
you know
salt
cayenne
pepper
crushed hot mustard
and jalepeno sauce

Hey some like it hot
Knifesmith

If it were possible to alert someone on the other side of the aisle about your plan, you could overcome the fact that you are at a window seat. Incidentally, after 9/11 aisle seats seemed more attractive than window seats for these reasons! Anyways, if you could get someone on the other side to scream or fake a heart attack or whatever, the Bad Guy might divert his attention that way, giving you a bit of time to fly over there and poke holes in his neck/eyes, or slap him with Spark's San Fran Special :)

I don't view this as a force compliance / restrain the BG situation. (I'm an aisle seat kinda guy but I'll go with what's been given.) The quarters are cramped enough so that getting past the 15 yo into the aisle itself is not necessary. Undo seatbelt & raise middle seat armrest to allow for quick movement towards aisle. Since he is pulling the hostage, I picture him backing toward the front of the plane. Once BG moves in range -- putting me into his 4 to 5 o'clock position -- lunge and, while momentarily grabbing hair/ear/throat, send pen through eye into brain.

Speak in a commanding voice & announce that the situation is under control. (Try not to sound like Gen. Haige while doing so. ;)) Ask passengers to remain in their seats while scanning quickly for possible additional threats. Identify likely capable allies & ask them to accompany you. Proceed to front of plane to block cockpit access. Ground communication can be made by the cockpit crew or other passengers. Likewise, other passengers can tend to injured hostage. I don't view them as immediate critical concerns.

Back