Improvised Weapons - Whadda Ya Do?

Martial arts????

I've been studying marital arts for years. I kept wondering when I'd get some kind of colored belt. You mean it's NOT marital arts I should have been studying?

Damn.....

Okay, much progress in our cyber scenario.

We've added carrying a mini maglite with us (white light distraction for night flight / darkened cabin situations - improvised "stick" for pain compliance / striking) and we're concerned about First Responder aid to the hostage and other innocent perhaps injured during the course of events.

We're aware of how the middle seat functions to create room for movement...

We're into disabling, shutting down the terr fast and in a manner that won't allow him or her to further threaten the safety of the flight / passengers. Is this a legitimate lethal force situation? Sure. That's why they put air marshalls with guns on planes...for just such a thing.

Disrupt sight, balance, break arms, wrists, fingers (things that allow one to hold / manipulate a person or weapon), stabilize the 'jacker and secure (belt, shoelace tying both thumbs together behind the back, etc.).

Calm the immediate passengers as best as possible through good verbal judo and physical presence tactics / techniques. Advise, in some appropriate manner, the cabin crew that control has been returned on the side of the good guys.

Watch for follow-on attack or attackers, accomplices. One never knows.

Find cell phone and call YOUR attorney immediately! Advise, and take his or her advice on how to proceed once you're on the ground and in the presence of the authorities. Be smart.

I think we done good, Jack.:D

Someone out there care to kick off new scenario?

Okay here's the deal. You're in your hotel after a long flight, and you need to go about your business. Before you go out the next day, you take a shower in your room before heading out to do your business. As you emerge from the shower you discover a man in your room going through your suitcase in search of loot. You surprise him and he intends to fight.

Now unless your're Spark, with that weird kind of uncomfortable androgynous thing going on, you're probably going to feel pretty vulnerable in just your towel. How many of you take weapons into the shower or bathroom with you when you're traveling alone, and how do you fight in such a condition where you have no armor, and feel disadvantaged mentally? It is a time proven technique to strip a prisoner to humiliate him. Could you fight like that?

Originally posted by Robert H
How many of you take weapons into the shower or bathroom with you when you're traveling alone,

I'll 'fess up to being that paranoid. Failing that, there's always the bar of soap in the towel approach, though that works best if you carry your own decent-sized soap with you.

and how do you fight in such a condition where you have no armor, and feel disadvantaged mentally? It is a time proven technique to strip a prisoner to humiliate him. Could you fight like that?

I figure a look at my pasty middle-aged body will startle the attacker for a moment or two, if not outright stun him, and give me the edge. I don't think the lack of clothes would put me off - I live way out in the woods, and go au naturale a fair bit.

being naked wouldn't really bother me. Once some guys in my dorm took my towel while I was in the shower. Shocked the hell outta them when I casually walked back to my room sans towel. The "armor" that clothes provide are negligible. I do tend to take my knife into the bathroom with me when I am somewhere unfamiliar.

Actually come to think of it being naked might be a benefit. Seeing how well endowed I am maybe I could beat him with it, lol.

How many of you take weapons into the shower or bathroom

My shower neck-knife (sleep with it sometimes):

From Triple Aught Design:
wttik.jpg

Warren Thomas- chisel ground titanium with carbide cutting edge.

I cord wrapped mine. So light I never know it's on.

S.

Just make sure you dont have soap on your hand when you pull it or you might have an accidental sex change operation......:p

Actually, I have tested the grip with soaped hands and with the cord wrap it is surprisingly secure.

S.

Originally posted by Robert H
Okay here's the deal. You're in your hotel after a long flight, and you need to go about your business. Before you go out the next day, you take a shower in your room before heading out to do your business. As you emerge from the shower you discover a man in your room going through your suitcase in search of loot. You surprise him and he intends to fight.

Sounds like a typical night at Robert's. Well, almost. You just have to substitute "your room" with "San Francisco Men's Club", "going through your suitcase" to "nuzzling your soiled undies", and change "You surprise him and he intends to fight" to "Your body is glistening with goat meat, sluggish in the summer heat as you reach for your new lover's embrace".

Just another day from "Humelbaugh's Man on Man 7: Robert's New Sheath"

Now unless your're Spark, with that weird kind of uncomfortable androgynous thing going on, you're probably going to feel pretty vulnerable in just your towel.

Hey missy, I've worked long and hard for my combat ready physique. Not only do I have the latest in stealth technology to make me look harmless, but I'm thermally insulated, and armored to level IIA. Fortunately, even if I am stripped naked I still have my mighty bludgeon...

How many of you take weapons into the shower or bathroom with you when you're traveling alone, and how do you fight in such a condition where you have no armor, and feel disadvantaged mentally?
In other words, try to put yourself in Rob's place the first time he went to "Oz"... only remove the glee and joyful anticipation.

It is a time proven technique to strip a prisoner to humiliate him. Could you fight like that?
Fight? Heck, I heard you welcome being stripped and humiliated. Don't worry though, I'm sure your testicles will descend one of these days Rob.

[Please Note - Robert and I are seasoned professionals, do not attempt this kind of witty banter at home as it could lead to violence, manslaughter, and copious amounts of goat meat]

Spark, you ARE the MAN! (Of course when I say that I am referring to your starring role in "Prop Blast #5: Blasts of Man Love" volume 5 in the Sergeant's Time series, Rear D productions limited.) I am humbled by your amazing command of the concepts!

I am but a humble student, oh mighty Vessel of Knowledge. (In this case, Vessel is synonymous with Recepticle and Knowledge is interchangeable with ManJuice). You are the true Master.

Back to the topic at hand - will a Fisher Space Pen still write after it's been buried in the trachea of a terrorist?

Can the inflight magazine be used as a distraction device?

Can a CD-ROM be thrown with the force and accuracy of a shuriken?

Can Zipties be used as a whip - and if so, is it adviseable to carry some of those flexicuffs under your belt?

550 cord + keys = hefty impact weapon.

Kevin

You are a worthy adversary, great and mighty Spark, and a true genital man.

but on to the topic, I notice no one has yet mentioned the Stinger, from James Keating. Although mine is in secret warrior tactical black, it has gone through security many times without a glance. They are devastating to the face, or anywhere else hit with a solid strike, and like the Kerambit it saves the knuckles.

First, moderator status means NOTHING if you've got Spark and RH to contend with:)

Control? We lost that several posts ago.

Okay, some sanity back in this gig.

This is easy:rolleyes:

First, I'd whip off the towel and with the loudest "WHATTHEF**K!" I could muster I'd heave it at the thief with all I had.

Second, I then grab the nearest item (lamp, chair, television) and heave these at him.

Then I'd just move about the room throwing any and everything with all the force I could muster while yelling at the top of my lungs for the police and for him to GET OUT!

If by chance I managed to cold cock (easy, fellas:eek: ) the dude...it's 911 time and back to the towel wrap til the PO-lice arrive. If the dude took some bad hits and ran for it I'd have a great description (bleeding, stumbling, holding his head where the RCA bounced off it, officer). If he just cut and ran then I'm home free...to include getting a free night at the MO-tel due to their lousy security and my badly damaged PSYKEE:barf:

Okay, here we go. Let's put a twist on it.

You're taking a bubble bath in the privacy of your luxury suite. You feel like slipping into something pretty and wander out into the main room only to find an incredibly lovely female burgler stripping out your wallet. You note that she also has your Gunsite .45 Custom tucked away, and she's toting a yellow handled TASER at her hip.

She spots you...freezes for a moment...then draws the TASER and points it you:eek:

Whadda do, Jack? Whadda do!:mad:

She picked the wrong thing to point IMO. I don't know about this particular taser, but I have seen people shot with some brands of tasers and it makes them contort somewhat, but they can still function (painfully). Take that towel and hold it out in front of you while you rush the chick (taser slugs probably cannot pass through the towel if you hold it a foot or som in front of your body. As you near release the towel and tackle in one motion. First thing to do is control her hands so she cannot get to the gun. While doing so yell for help and continue to do so. If you are able to control her hands and it is safe to do so, clear the pistol. Incapacitate her and contiune to shout for help.

One thing that was not addressed. Is the gun even loaded? Is it cocked? Cocked and locked? Uncocked? Chambered/unchambered? A lot of this would depend on the condition you leave the gun in, but something to consider since she has it now.

Good solution.

The TASER in mind is the new model and it flat takes you out immmedately.

However, using the towel as a shield was very quick thinking.

The observations regarding the condition of the handgun was likewise good.

Two points for this scenario:

1. Once you've made physical contact your actions must be definitive. Don't underestimate a pretty face and figure. If she's weapons savvy (snagged the pistol, didn't she?) she may also be hell on wheels H2H wise. You're nude and very, very vulnerable. Make it count!

2. No one yet has offered backing off, locking the bathroom door, and either using in-room phone or cell, yelling, or just waiting a few minutes then doing tactical sneak and peak to see if the apartment has been vacated by the BG (bad girl?:p )

This strategy is often overlooked. It's called "Attack in Retrograde". Violently withdraw and fade away. If they want you, make them come to you. That, at the very least, beefs up your self defense posture post incident. What's a few buck and easily replaced ID and credit cards when it comes to you health or life? One of the most challenging things to teach cops is how to break contact and back it off. Cops are taught to encroach. Anymore, mindless or needless encroaching may be just what is wanted by the BG. Back it off, secure the area, call in back-up, make a plan, carry it out.

Works in individual self defense, too.

That gal might just jerk our .45 and pop us half dozen times through the towel without a thought.

She's a burgler, not an assassin. Burglers like to burgle then get. Few are violent. The ones that are carry and take to weapons. That means the red flags should go way up when you spot such an opponent. Identify the threat and respond accordingly. Cut your losses where and when you can. Know why, then know how.

Sierra

If she drew the gun that would indeed be a different story. Since she is pointing the taser, though, I believe that it would be very possible to close the distance before she could discard the taser and fire the pistol.

Agreed.

Simply pointing out another line of thought outside of the described scenario.

Worth consideration and thought...not argument:)

Okay, thread dogs, who is putting the next scenario up on the board:confused:

You and your wife are in a 42" pleasure sailboat just off the coast of Yemen, on your way to Djibouti.

It's mid-afternoon. Two 20-25' open outboard-powered boats are approaching, each with 4-5 men on board. They appear to be armed.

You have no firearms on board, just the usual array of boating impedimentia.

What next?

New scenario so Sierra can play too.:)

You are riding a city bus FULL of passengers, sitting fifteen feet behind the driver.
Bus stops, man gets on. Bus driver closes doors, prepares to put bus in gear, BLAM! Driver is shot in the head with pistol produced by the new passenger. BG fires another shot through the roof of the bus, and yells that it's his bus now, scaring all the other passengers into at least momentary inaction and paralyzing fear (except you, of course).
He pushes driver's body into stairwell/door area, sits down in the seat and begins driving the bus speedily on in moderate traffic (45mph in a 20 mph school zone, but nearing exits to the freeway). You aren't close enough to see what he's done with his gun, but he may have put it back in his clothes (wherever he had it), or next to him, or in his lap. He glances frequently in that huge passenger mirror bus drivers have.

What's next?
sorry Bae, I was typing while you were posting.

Back