Ineresting development in the M marked axes!

Not sure if the information I found today answers any questions or just adds to the "M" mystery, but I found it interesting. Again this is not my research, but copied from a public forum.

"My Info on Mann and related Axe Topics
JUNE 28, 2016 · PUBLIC
So a post recently had a nice looking Stanley hatchet, with imprint of Stanley, an M on both sides, and a Jobmaster paper label on it.
There has been many conversations over the issue whether the M stood for Mann, or for Mexico. As it stands right now, I cannot for 100% certainty tell you it is for Mexico, but I can tell you what I know. Take this info and do as you please, but it is legit.
So, I had the opportunity to meet with the one time family owners(Waddell) of the Mann Edge Tool Co in State College a few years back. When I say meet, this means in a parking lot to buy an axe off of them. This said axe is the NOS Kelly Black Raven double bit with original gold paint that I have posted. This came from the presidents office of Mann. More on that in a different write up, as that deserves its own story for discussion, along with the other axes that came out of the office.
So I get the axe and of course I am asking a million questions about everything I can think of. At the time, there was some discussion around the Collins Axe axes with blue paint, and paper labels, and then also imprinted M and usually 3 1/2. I asked what was going on with these - and this is what I was told.
These axes had a mixed background. When Mann bought Collins in 1965-66 Collins sold everything to Mann and also to Stanley(more on that in a sec). All manufacturing came to Lewistown from any other parts of the USA, the majority of it up from in the NE at Collins HQ. Time went on, Mann made Collins a line of axes in order to keep the name recognition alive. It became their primary axe line. Quality was sketchy at best, as the age of the axe was in its low point(late 60s to early 2000s) and there was little demand, and METCo was just trying to survive. Biggest competition was from overseas of course, as they could produce the same items at a tremendously lower cost. This led to moves being made that weren’t always correct. So, it is reported that some Collins Axes were made in Mexico, and were imprinted with the M to represent this. I asked if the M just meant Mann, and was told yes, in the beginning. Then were made in Mexico. I then asked about the paper label that says Made in USA. I was told that the label indeed was made in USA, as they had a huge s**t eating grin on their face. I was then informed that they got in trouble for this and had to discontinue that practice. That was the start of the Mann relationship in Mexico, which eventually led to Mann being purchased by Truper Herramientas in the early 2000s. I assume this is true as it came from the one time owners. Can I prove it? No.
For the Stanley issue, we go back to 1966 when Collins was sold off. Up and coming Stanley bought the SA operations of Collins. Stanley was one of the first major tool brands to out source its tools in order to own the price point. This would then make sense for the Stanley hatchets to be made in Mexico, yet still have the made in USA label on them, as was a practice by many operations trying to compete and stay alive. I know Mann made some of the Stanley hatchets, but the M and M I firmly believe were made in Mexico, as it just all comes together with what I was told, can see, read about, and eventually put together. The Stanley M M hatchets usually seem to be of lower quality, poor handles, etc, which leads to a Mexico origin. This however I cannot 100% prove, so the door is still open.
Thought I would share"

When faced with being able to outsource goods for a fraction of the cost required to make them yourself, and maintaining a domestic manufacturing facility as a smokescreen of legitimacy, it has to be very tempting to pull a fast one on consumers. Just how close does gov't scrutinize or oversee products for accurate labels and descriptions of origin? Probably only when they receive tips or complaints. If I understand correctly the aviation industry is rife with counterfeit parts because of the price differential between certified av-spec and mere copies.

Last edited:
Stanley definitely got into huge trouble back in the 80's for lying about where products were being made, so it would make sense that the m marked Stanley axes could've been made in Mexico.
BTW i have seen some craftsman hatchets stamped made in USA which did have that M on them ( in these cases not the Sears oem code for vaugnan ) so I'm thinking that some M axes definitely had to be made in the USA.
I guess there's no real way to know for sure, so we'll just have to let sellers know of the risk with these so we can get them cheap enough to gamble on them having decent steel.

Unlikely Mann USA and a manufacturing plant in Mexico had access to the same steel or used identical production techniques. Appraising the properties of these would answer a lot of questions but I don't imagine that's simple to do in the comfort of your own home.

Here is a thread on a hoe that lead up to Mexico gaining ownership of American tool companies to become Truper according to :

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1232649-True-Temper-hoe-Papagayo

Stanley definitely got into huge trouble back in the 80's for lying about where products were being made, so it would make sense that the m marked Stanley axes could've been made in Mexico.
BTW i have seen some craftsman hatchets stamped made in USA which did have that M on them ( in these cases not the Sears oem code for vaugnan ) so I'm thinking that some M axes definitely had to be made in the USA.
I guess there's no real way to know for sure, so we'll just have to let sellers know of the risk with these so we can get them cheap enough to gamble on them having decent steel.

Unlikely Mann USA and a manufacturing plant in Mexico had access to the same steel or used identical production techniques. Appraising the properties of these would answer a lot of questions but I don't imagine that's simple to do in the comfort of your own home.

I was reading through that document (Section IV) and it seems that not only were American companies absorbed, Mexico also imported tools and raw materials from China, Turkey, Russia, China, Germany, Guatemala, Chile, etc. to lower their cost even more. They state that they are legally independent of one material provider:

pg. 71/144

The paper is from a seminar by the National Polytechnic Institute on import/export taxation rules but that one section describes the business practices of Truper there and with a limited number of plants set up at the time to handle large tool making, it might be likely that is the quality approach to what was made there regardless if the Collins/Mann names were on export tools.

Just rambling at this point because there is no mention of tool/axe markings like “M” – just fits the timeline somewhat.

And

Operator1975's Collins manufacturing thread (2012):
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/966510-Collins-and-Co-Manufacturing-Thread

That seems similar to contain similar information as -this-

Disregard if it is just more of the same circles we go through every once in a while.

From what looks like a Thesis paper by a man for his Mechanic/Electrical Engineering title or degree.
Title:
CENTRO DE CALIDAD AVANZADA TRUPER
Focus:
TRABAJO PROFESIONAL
Purpose:
QUE PARA OBTENER EL TÍTULO DE INGENIERO MECÁNICO ELECTRICISTA

SQN6Dvb.jpg

Truper acquires the Collins Axe name in 2004
http://avalon.cuautitlan2.unam.mx/biblioteca/tesis/1149.pdf

I imagine that he would have resources linked to Truper/Collins history that we won’t readily find?

Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)is the largest university in Latin America. It is also my understanding that his paper would have been vetted and then presented to have it accepted.

But I still don’t know any more than what we have going on in this forum.

Last edited:
From the thread mentioned by Agent_H

En 1975 surge formalmente la marca TRUPER sustituyendo las marcas Papagayo y True Temper.
“In 1975 the branding of TRUPER was oficially substituted for the names of Papagayo and True Temper.”

I just had a Eureka moment (or a "duh" moment) when it occured to me that Truper could have been named "Truper" as a shortened form of "True Temper".

If an axe (or another tool, such as a rake) is marked "Made in Mexico", does that mean that the axe head (or rake head) was actually made in Mexico?

The answer could be NO, for rakes at least, as shown in this NAFTA ruling from 2006 about rakes "Made in Mexico" using rake heads made in another country, with handles coming from Mexico. Since the rake assembly in Mexico was considered to be more than "minor processing", the finished rake could qualify as having Mexico be the country of origin, resulting in preferential treatment under NAFTA regulations, as long as the Regional Value Content is more than 50% under the net cost method (considering all costs, including labor and overhead).

http://rulings.cbp.gov/detail.asp?ru=563497&ac=pr

USA 'True Temper' morphing into Mexico 'Truper' makes perfect sense to me. Where does the phrase "pull the wool over someone's eyes" come from. Certainly seems to apply here.

I just found I had in my possession this? Is it the mark y'all are talking about?
e788737dce31fa7980e0b40821897e41.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Here's another one - 'M' marked hatchet made by Hytest. I've other Hytest hatchets without this mark. No idea what it stands for or why this one has it and the others don't.

KVLbhPel.jpg

g7uwdvvl.jpg

mktjYiol.jpg

I recently purchased thee exact same axe with identical markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't get the same axe I got one with the same markings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen Hytests with "A", "M", and "Z" markings - and I own a 5lb Hytest Craftsman with a "V". I'm these would be some sort of QA mark.

Since it was from a live listing, these are screenshots.

Plumb with M?

If it were unmarked I would not think of Plumb…

Since it was from a live listing, these are screenshots.

Plumb with M?

If it were unmarked I would not think of Plumb…

That is just pathetic. We know that Mann manufactured later Plumbs but were they ever manufactured in Mexico?

Back