INFI corrosion protection?

I'm seeing a couple of different types on Amazon. The CLP liquid or the paste?
Get the paste.

If you heat the surface of your blade up, it’s supposed to like, chemically bond with it when it melts. I don’t do that, I just rub it onto the blade like I would mineral oil. It seems to do a good enough job like that.

I have both paste and CLP, using up the CLP first before I move on to the paste.
I have apply and then heat gun up the metal. I then let the whole thing sit for 24 hours before I wipe it.

Get the paste.

If you heat the surface of your blade up, it’s supposed to like, chemically bond with it when it melts. I don’t do that, I just rub it onto the blade like I would mineral oil. It seems to do a good enough job like that.

I've been reading the reviews on amazon and some people say to only use it exclusively. What's a good way to clean off old grease/oil? Would mineral spirits do the job? Are mineral spirits safe for G10 and micarta handles?

Ok, so I think this whole corrosion issue is way overblown. While I do not have a ton of experience with the latest lines, there was a time when I would be throwing three of my shbm's at a stump and chop wood and would leave them overnight outside with rain and 90-100% humidity. I would not get any rust spots unless I put the blades away wet in the sheath. If I wiped them off, the next morning there was no rust. While infi is not stainless, I think that the 8% Cr is much more effective at fighting corrosion than the number indicates. My D2 knives have corroded faster. So while there is nothing wrong with oiling blades, I would not be to worried about it. I would say save it for SR101 which rusts if you just stare at it.

I've been reading the reviews on amazon and some people say to only use it exclusively. What's a good way to clean off old grease/oil? Would mineral spirits do the job? Are mineral spirits safe for G10 and micarta handles?

I use rubbing alcohol to strip any dirt, oil. It works real well.

I use mineral oil a lot because it's cheap and last forever. Doesn't go rancid or harm anything. Also just wipes off and it's food safe if you buy the usp grade. I just dip a q tip in the bottle and then coat the blade. Swapping out ends as i need more oil. Like others have mentioned though. No corrosion issues with infi unless it still has decarb. I carried a BT-6 IWB in the summer for months with no rust. Down here summer comes early and stays late. For cleaning i also use rubbing alcohol. Usually 70-90% then wipe it dry and usually that's good. I've also used electrical parts cleaner. That does a deep deep clean. Dries out the micarta and g10 though.

For the users of mineral oil, how long do you find it to last before reapplication?
I choose FrogLube because I find it lasts a while. Don't know about on knives because I am not a heavy user, but with guns I typically go 1k round

I apply the mineral oil if i won't be using the knife much or if it's carbon steel. It doesn't really go away. I wouldn't use it for a gun though. It provides a light lubricant and rust protection but it's not made for guns. So if i was storing a busse long term or wouldn't use it for awhile I'd put a light coating on it. I use it more for folders than anything else. On machetes that will most likely never see food I'll use hoppes elite gun oil. If you're not messing with the knife too often the mineral oil should last at least a year or so. I usually check my knives periodically and wipe them down because of dust and such. Unfortunately mineral oil will stay wet and attract dust

I just keep a nice soft cloth with Frog Lube on it and wipe down every so often. For cleaning after hard use I use soap and water, then reapply Frog Lube, but I never really worry about cleaning it or mineral oil off.

ppft!!... I use windex to get em gleaming..then WD-40...works like a charm

tufglide.jpg

I clean with either 91% alcohol, acetone, or real paint thinner. Sometimes its hard to get pitch off.

I wash with soap and water.

If I put anything on an INFI blade its usually Tuf-Glide

Oh, and some times I polish with Flinz, or more likely, Semichrome

Last edited:
Back