Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

I recently got another couple of knives off Stan (who I also saw yesterday). Here's the first of them.

This was a pattern Wostenholm's did when they were owned by Schrade. Stan worked there at the time, so you may find his initials inside if you come across one of them. They were produced with rosewood scales, and with satin-finished blades and bolsters. Stan was given a few of the old parts a while back, and decided to make them up. This one has buffalo covers, and mirror-polished blades, as well as a bar shield. Rather than just his initials on the liners, it has Stan's full tang stamp.

What it doesn't have though, is Stan's new 'B.E.M.' stamp, commemorating his 'British Empire Medal', and seen here for the very first time.

Stan was working on some very fancy Sportsman's knives, and since many folks here probably haven't seen a split Lobster spring, I thought I'd take a pic :thumbsup:

I recently got another couple of knives off Stan (who I also saw yesterday). Here's the first of them.

This was a pattern Wostenholm's did when they were owned by Schrade. Stan worked there at the time, so you may find his initials inside if you come across one of them. They were produced with rosewood scales, and with satin-finished blades and bolsters. Stan was given a few of the old parts a while back, and decided to make them up. This one has buffalo covers, and mirror-polished blades, as well as a bar shield. Rather than just his initials on the liners, it has Stan's full tang stamp.

What it doesn't have though, is Stan's new 'B.E.M.' stamp, commemorating his 'British Empire Medal', and seen here for the very first time.

Stan was working on some very fancy Sportsman's knives, and since many folks here probably haven't seen a split Lobster spring, I thought I'd take a pic :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot gents :thumbsup: The recent forum changes have altered all the punctuation in the pre-existing threads. Re-editing them is rather tedious, and is not always possible where posts contain a lot of images, because of a change to the number of images allowed. I was able to re-edit the first post of this thread, which was quite badly affected by the changes, and at some point, I'll try and replace the missing images :thumbsup:

Thanks Duncan, you always get mentioned when I visit Stan
clear.png
When I got there the other day, Stan was chatting to an English couple, and their teenage Kiwi granddaughters, who live in Auckland :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good to see a table full of knife parts, and better yet to see Stan back at work. :)

Some of those parts relate to the second knife I bought from Stan recently, or at least to one like it. It's a Ruler Knife, a pattern I collect, and which dates back more than a century. I rather like them, and several members of my family, going back at least to my Great Grandmother, worked at James Chesterman's iconic Bow Works in Sheffield. Cost quite a lot more than all my others put together, and the blades are stainless, but it's a nice knife :)

y03301.jpg

Thanks for demystifying the lobster.

I learn something from Stan everytime I see him, usually several things in fact :) I'd always thought that the Lobster pattern was named because of the appearance of the blades when open, but Stan reckons it's actually named for the shape of the spring (imagine how it'd look when fitted in the knife) :thumbsup:

Jack,
The links to the Stan Shaw videos are much appreciated. The video interviews are absolute treasures!

TGhat Knife there is simply amazing Jack- what a beauty!! Really neat to see something like that!

Back