Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

QUOTE - waynorth - REQUOTE - Jack Black - "I'm very sad to have to report that Stan Shaw passed away on Friday 26th February. Stan had not been well for the past year, and 2020 wasn't kind to him, with three stays in the local hospital. I had a long chat with Rosemary, Stan's wife, just before Christmas, but Stan was too poorly to come to the phone, and Rosemary told me that he was more or less immobile, and had even lost interest in knives.

Considering his impoverished background, and his long childhood illness, Stan really made the most of life, in every way, and always had a positive outlook. Referring to his siblings, I remember him telling me, "They said I were the runt of the litter, but I've outlived them all." He was very proud of his family, as well as the knives he produced, and of the British Empire Medal he was awarded a few years ago.

I know many members here thought fondly of Stan, and his passing is a great loss to knife collectors, as well as to his wife and family, to whom he was very dear. RIP Stan Shaw BEM 1926-2021.

From the local paper: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/peop...e-queen-buddy-holly-and-elvis-presley-3149470

l8wdcop.jpg
A man who loved his work and did it well!! You were lucky to have known him, Jack! I will carry his knife this week, as an homage!!
Rest in Peace, Stan!! You helped to make cutlery, great for us, and the world, a better place!!View attachment 1518302 View attachment 1518303 View attachment 1518304 View attachment 1518305
RE-
QUOTE to turn the page!

Ah, so sorry to read this. My condolences as well. Very grateful for this thread and for those of you like Jack who were able to know him and his work so well.

Thanks Mike, I have a pile of files for Stan, which sadly he won't get to use :( :thumbsup:

A man who loved his work and did it well!! You were lucky to have known him, Jack! I will carry his knife this week, as an homage!!
Rest in Peace, Stan!! You helped to make cutlery, great for us, and the world, a better place!!View attachment 1518302 View attachment 1518303 View attachment 1518304 View attachment 1518305

Thank you Charlie, a great shame you didn't get to meet him, I'm sure you'd have got on :) :thumbsup:

This is sad news, and a blow to the classic artistry of making knives the traditional way. I didn't know Mr. Shaw, or much about him, but I'm sorry he's gone all the same. Jack, my condolences on your personal loss of a friend. :(

This is sad news, and a blow to the classic artistry of making knives the traditional way. I didn't know Mr. Shaw, or much about him, but I'm sorry he's gone all the same. Jack, my condolences on your personal loss of a friend. :(

Thank you very much Forrest, that's very kind of you :thumbsup:

Mike- Massive Loss my friend, you are right- collectively there is a mass that has been lost.

Im quite silly in a way, something happened a while ago and ever since then I get a little emotional if I let myself delve down too deep- and I went there a few times with news of Stan, the first was when I finished talking to Jack and he told me about Stan staying at Home and kind of heading down that slope, and of course upon hearing this sad news which was inevitable.

After staying with Stan, Sue Jack and myself left Stans Shop- listening to him, watching him demonstrate things- it was bloody amazing, I never had a nice Grandad or poppa, and I imagined that having a Poppa like Stan would have been absolutely mind blowing - Stan struck me as such a lovely Gentleman.
I am pleased to have met him, because when I meet people of such I always endeavour to take a leaf from their Book.

Thinking of you Jack my friend with the passing of your Pal.

Think of all of the institutional knowledge lost from Mr Shaw, Tony Bose and even AG Russell passing.

We have really lost a wealth of knowledge and experience recently haven't we? :( I remember when @JDWARE asked me if I could ask Stan a fairly complex question about the practice of deliberately under-blading pocket-knives, I was able to get a definitive answer from Stan, which I couldn't have got from anyone else :thumbsup:

Mike- Massive Loss my friend, you are right- collectively there is a mass that has been lost.

Im quite silly in a way, something happened a while ago and ever since then I get a little emotional if I let myself delve down too deep- and I went there a few times with news of Stan, the first was when I finished talking to Jack and he told me about Stan staying at Home and kind of heading down that slope, and of course upon hearing this sad news which was inevitable.

After staying with Stan, Sue Jack and myself left Stans Shop- listening to him, watching him demonstrate things- it was bloody amazing, I never had a nice Grandad or poppa, and I imagined that having a Poppa like Stan would have been absolutely mind blowing - Stan struck me as such a lovely Gentleman.
I am pleased to have met him, because when I meet people of such I always endeavour to take a leaf from their Book.

Thinking of you Jack my friend with the passing of your Pal.

Thank you Duncan, I'm so glad that Stan touched you in this way :) He thought the world of his grandkids :) :thumbsup:

Hi Christian,

It's very sad news about Stan, but it's already been discussed in a number of threads, including (as well as the EDC thread):

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...malade-sandwich.1106897/page-17#post-20366541

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/stan-shaw-gets-his-first-penknife.1436014/page-3#post-20368204

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guardians-of-the-lambsfoot.1406735/page-2402#post-20366550

Would you be OK with my asking @Peregrin if he wouldn't mind merging this into the first of those threads?

Edit - Thank you very much Gary :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back