Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

thank you so much Jack Black Jack Black ! this is incredible history. I really appreciate you taking the time to re-upload the pictures. Some of the PDFs mentioned earlier are no longer available. Does anybody have a new link or a copy? I'd love to learn more about the old cutler's tools.

thank you so much Jack Black Jack Black ! this is incredible history. I really appreciate you taking the time to re-upload the pictures. Some of the PDFs mentioned earlier are no longer available. Does anybody have a new link or a copy? I'd love to learn more about the old cutler's tools.

Thank you :) Sorry to hear about the PDFs :( If you let me know which ones you're interested in, by quoting the particular post, I'll try to find an alternative source, and update everything :thumbsup:

Very well said... :cool::thumbsup:
Just to lighten things up a bit and add a bit of levity. My parents have been gone for over 30 years, but when i was growing up there was a saying that i heard nearly everyday of my life. If not from my parents, from my Grandmother or Aunties and Uncles or even neighbors.
" DON"T throw that out, it might come in useful one day ".:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Thanks for that clip, Jack!! I could almost see Stan making my knife!!
I have had several of his knives, some much fancier, but that pen is the one I am keeping!!:cool:

You just can't beat a good well-made Penknife Charlie :) Hang onto it my friend :thumbsup:

Some amazing pictures in this thread now! Those knives are more amazing than i imagined.

One of the gents in here with a few sheffield knives ought to create a thread just for these knives. I would but i dont have any yet, something ill be looking to remedy soon.

Some amazing pictures in this thread now! Those knives are more amazing than i imagined.

One of the gents in here with a few sheffield knives ought to create a thread just for these knives. I would but i dont have any yet, something ill be looking to remedy soon.

Some great-looking knives in this thread here :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Here are the articles I would love to read, and I'm sure others will be interested too!

Tweedale article on the Parser (broken link)
http://contrib2.wkfinetools.com/tweedaleG/tlParser/tlParser-01.asp and
http://contrib2.wkfinetools.com/tweedaleG/tlParser/0_img-pdf/TWEEDALE-TwoLeggedParser.pdf

Tweedale article on Stan Shaw (broken link)
http://contrib2.wkfinetools.com/tweedaleG/stanShaw/0_img/TWEEDALE-Stan Shaw-(12-12-2016).pdf

Thank you!

Thank you my friend, I'll try and find alternative sources for those :thumbsup:

Edit - I'm very sorry, but while the first article is widely referenced on the net, all the links seem to be to the same source. The second article is not so commonly referenced, but again, there only seems to be one source for it. I owe Geoff Tweedale an email, so I'll bring it to his attention :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Some great-looking knives in this thread here :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, I'll try and find alternative sources for those :thumbsup:

Edit - I'm very sorry, but while the first article is widely referenced on the net, all the links seem to be to the same source. The second article is not so commonly referenced, but again, there only seems to be one source for it. I owe Geoff Tweedale an email, so I'll bring it to his attention :thumbsup:
thank you so much Jack Black Jack Black ! You are a legend in your own time.

While I was digging around for those old links I came across this YouTube video of Grace Horne at Taylor's Eye Witness in Sheffield watching the use of the parser. Worth at least 1,000 words on the topic.

Jack, those photos are not only a tribute to Stan but also to the hundreds or thousands of men who worked at making knives in Sheffield. John

I'm very sad to have to report that Stan Shaw passed away on Friday 26th February. Stan had not been well for the past year, and 2020 wasn't kind to him, with three stays in the local hospital. I had a long chat with Rosemary, Stan's wife, just before Christmas, but Stan was too poorly to come to the phone, and Rosemary told me that he was more or less immobile, and had even lost interest in knives.

Considering his impoverished background, and his long childhood illness, Stan really made the most of life, in every way, and always had a positive outlook. Referring to his siblings, I remember him telling me, "They said I were the runt of the litter, but I've outlived them all." He was very proud of his family, as well as the knives he produced, and of the British Empire Medal he was awarded a few years ago.

I know many members here thought fondly of Stan, and his passing is a great loss to knife collectors, as well as to his wife and family, to whom he was very dear. RIP Stan Shaw BEM 1926-2021.

From the local paper: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/peop...e-queen-buddy-holly-and-elvis-presley-3149470

l8wdcop.jpg

I'm so sorry to read this sad news. Please relay my condolences to Rosemary and the rest of Stan's family. What a life he led. We should all be so lucky to work so long at something we love.

I'm so sorry to read this sad news. Please relay my condolences to Rosemary and the rest of Stan's family. What a life he led. We should all be so lucky to work so long at something we love.

I'll pass that on Rachel, Stan certainly had a good run :thumbsup:

Back