Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

I'm very sad to have to report that Stan Shaw passed away on Friday 26th February. Stan had not been well for the past year, and 2020 wasn't kind to him, with three stays in the local hospital. I had a long chat with Rosemary, Stan's wife, just before Christmas, but Stan was too poorly to come to the phone, and Rosemary told me that he was more or less immobile, and had even lost interest in knives.

Considering his impoverished background, and his long childhood illness, Stan really made the most of life, in every way, and always had a positive outlook. Referring to his siblings, I remember him telling me, "They said I were the runt of the litter, but I've outlived them all." He was very proud of his family, as well as the knives he produced, and of the British Empire Medal he was awarded a few years ago.

I know many members here thought fondly of Stan, and his passing is a great loss to knife collectors, as well as to his wife and family, to whom he was very dear. RIP Stan Shaw BEM 1926-2021.

From the local paper: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/peop...e-queen-buddy-holly-and-elvis-presley-3149470

l8wdcop.jpg
Jack, I am very sorry to hear of your friend, Stan, passing away. Thanks for sharing the news article. What a privilege it must be to have known him.

Sorry to hear this Jack. He certainly made an impact, glad you were able to know him!

Sincere condolences, Jack. It seems that Stan's life was a picture of brilliance shining out of the common.

Sorry to hear of Stan passing. Jack, I'm glad you had the pleasure of being one of his friends.

Sincere condolences, Jack. It seems that Stan's life was a picture of brilliance shining out of the common.

Thanks chaps :thumbsup:

This is for those of us who didn't have a chance to meet the living legend. He will be misses but his memory lives on.

I wish someone had recorded Stan speaking in his broad Sheffield accent, he always sounds a bit posh in videos :) :thumbsup:

I’m so sorry to hear about Stan, Jack. Thank you for letting us tag along, so to speak, on your visits with him over the last few years, and for sharing his story (and his knives) with us here. I’ll also echo what Rachel said: how incredible to get to work at something you love for almost 80 years!

I’ve told this story here before, of course, but this seems like an appropriate time to share just a small part of it again. A couple years back, I was fortunate enough to spend a day in Sheffield with Jack. After lunch and a couple pints at The Fat Cat, we visited the Kelham Island Museum. Unfortunately Stan wasn’t in that day, but we did get to peek in the windows of his workshop, and see all the knives in progress on his bench. I’m sure it looks about the same today as it did the day we visited. I hope the museum decides to leave it as is, at least for a while.

aBRMDIN.jpg

Very sad news on many levels. The loss of a husband and father, the loss of a great friend to Jack and others, and the loss of the last classically trained Sheffield cutler.
Enclosed is a quote by Stan from a book, with his legacy in mind.

"I reckon my time will see the industry out. But give me a lump of steel, a lump of brass, and a bit of pearl, and I'll turn out any knife you want."

God speed Stan.

I saw this notification in FB last night, but didn't want to bring it up if incorrect. So sad, what a loss of a brilliant craftsman. He really made the most of his situation, and left his mark (literally) on the cutlery world. That is a life well lived.

Sorry for your loss, Jack. I know he was a good friend.

I’m so sorry to hear about Stan, Jack. Thank you for letting us tag along, so to speak, on your visits with him over the last few years, and for sharing his story (and his knives) with us here. I’ll also echo what Rachel said: how incredible to get to work at something you love for almost 80 years!

I’ve told this story here before, of course, but this seems like an appropriate time to share just a small part of it again. A couple years back, I was fortunate enough to spend a day in Sheffield with Jack. After lunch and a couple pints at The Fat Cat, we visited the Kelham Island Museum. Unfortunately Stan wasn’t in that day, but we did get to peek in the windows of his workshop, and see all the knives in progress on his bench. I’m sure it looks about the same today as it did the day we visited. I hope the museum decides to leave it as is, at least for a while.

aBRMDIN.jpg

Thank you Barrett, it was lovely to spend a day with you in Sheffield :) I wish you had been able to meet Stan, he seemed to touch everyone who did. The museum has been closed for the past year I think, but I also hope they leaves workshop alone for a while. They'd have to break in anyway, as Stan changed the locks a few years back. Stan told me the story a couple of times, and it always makes me smile to think of him telling it:

"I caught that Ken Hawley taking a short cut through here one day, so I've changed the locks so he can't do it again! I'm not having him coming through, with all my tools lying around, you never know what he might take a fancy to!" :D :thumbsup:

Sad news, Jack.

Thanks for sharing this tribute to your friend with us.

Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

Very sad news on many levels. The loss of a husband and father, the loss of a great friend to Jack and others, and the loss of the last classically trained Sheffield cutler.
Enclosed is a quote by Stan from a book, with his legacy in mind.

"I reckon my time will see the industry out. But give me a lump of steel, a lump of brass, and a bit of pearl, and I'll turn out any knife you want."

God speed Stan.

That's a great quote my friend :) :thumbsup:

I saw this notification in FB last night, but didn't want to bring it up if incorrect. So sad, what a loss of a brilliant craftsman. He really made the most of his situation, and left his mark (literally) on the cutlery world. That is a life well lived.

Sorry for your loss, Jack. I know he was a good friend.

Thank you Glenn, I'm sure cutlers and cutlery lovers around the world will feel they have lost something with Stan's passing :( :thumbsup:

Ah, so sorry to read this. My condolences as well. Very grateful for this thread and for those of you like Jack who were able to know him and his work so well.

QUOTE - Jack Black - "I'm very sad to have to report that Stan Shaw passed away on Friday 26th February. Stan had not been well for the past year, and 2020 wasn't kind to him, with three stays in the local hospital. I had a long chat with Rosemary, Stan's wife, just before Christmas, but Stan was too poorly to come to the phone, and Rosemary told me that he was more or less immobile, and had even lost interest in knives.

Considering his impoverished background, and his long childhood illness, Stan really made the most of life, in every way, and always had a positive outlook. Referring to his siblings, I remember him telling me, "They said I were the runt of the litter, but I've outlived them all." He was very proud of his family, as well as the knives he produced, and of the British Empire Medal he was awarded a few years ago.

I know many members here thought fondly of Stan, and his passing is a great loss to knife collectors, as well as to his wife and family, to whom he was very dear. RIP Stan Shaw BEM 1926-2021.

From the local paper: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/peop...e-queen-buddy-holly-and-elvis-presley-3149470

l8wdcop.jpg
A man who loved his work and did it well!! You were lucky to have known him, Jack! I will carry his knife this week, as an homage!!
Rest in Peace, Stan!! You helped to make cutlery, great for us, and the world, a better place!!Stans Stag 1.jpg Stans Stag 2.jpg Stans Stag 3.jpg Stans Stag 4.jpg

Back