Is Axis lock and G-lock same thing?

Silly question then. They are in China. Our laws have no legitimacy there.

As for the patent....there are tons of more recent filings on this patent. Fees are still being paid on it. Why do that if you get no protection? If it is expired, why haven't we seen legitimate companies use the technology? I've looked into this extensively. It is a damn rabbit hole of legal bs. Certainly not as simple as saying "since it has been 20 years it is up".

Go spend a couple hours on the patent website and tell me what you think.

Then again, being a cheat that rides on the back of other's hard work is never a good look. That is ganzo. If you buy them then either you dont know better or you are fine being a cheat. So come here to learn better or get out, we don't need cheats in this community.

whats with the hostility telling me to learn better or get out?

Im trying to report Ganzo to Amazon to stop if they are selling on Amazon illegally. And to do that I need to know more than just “i hate Chinamen”.

My question was “are they doing anything illegal”.. just because im not being a racist, yelling “them chinamen are cheaters”, doesnt mean im supporting them. Im actually trying to do somthing about it since I have contacts and knowhow in Amazon as a brand seller.

Im trying to report Ganzo to Amazon to stop if they are selling on Amazon illegally. And to do that I need to know more than just “i hate Chinamen”.

My question was “are they doing anything illegal”.. just because im not being a racist, yelling “them chinamen are cheaters”, doesnt mean im supporting them. Im actually trying to do somthing about it since I have contacts and knowhow in Amazon as a brand seller.
If you want to report them, I suspect the patent is still in force, so please do. In fact, I believe they are infringing on the spydie hole as well, although that is not a utility patent. Does Ganzo directly sell on Amazon? I don’t think they do and, if not, wouldn’t the big river just have to play whack a mole with all the various resellers? Not sure that will rise to priority level for them.

The question of whether the patent is still in force sometimes causes ire on the site as it has been brought up many, many times in the past by people wanting to somehow justify that ganzo did no wrong by ripping off the designs of others. The general view of the forum (and mine) is strongly anti clone/anti IP theft.

Last edited:

So do you buy ganzo products? Notice those who do are where my comments are directed.

You came here to find out if ganzo is doing anything illegal. You need to do enough research to understand that US patent law isn't exactly enforceable in china. Further, you need to do enough research to realize the axis lock patent experation is far more complicated than a simple Google search.

By all means, try to shut who ever is selling these down. But please do some research first. It won't help going at this half assed. This has been covered in depth here many times. Do a search. Filter by my username. You'll find far more than you want.

If you want to report them, I suspect the patent is still in force, so please do. In fact, I believe they are infringing on the spydie hole as well, although that is not a utility patent. Does Ganzo directly sell on Amazon? I don’t think they do and, if not, wouldn’t the big river just have to play whack a mole with all the various resellers? Not sure that will rise to priority level for them.
If Spydie hole is not a utility patent, Amazon will not care. Design patents are too malleable.

Ganzo does sell on Amazon directly. They also seem to have EBC (enhanced brand content), which means they actually may have provided all legal documents to Amazon for EBC. That was the only way, as far as I know.

Whack a mole with various resellers will not happen if it is indeed illegal. They pull SKU and ASIN, meaning no one would be allowed to sell their models.

I do not want to report saying “maybe they are infringing patent rights, im not sure..” because it will be ignored.

Btw... in this community, whenever talking about Chinese brands.. i have to somehow bash Chinese people saying they are lying, cheating monsters when talking about Chinese knives, or I come off as a communist supporter of red China for some reason. When all im doing is asking a question to see if I can report to Amazon with some backing.

If Spydie hole is not a utility patent, Amazon will not care. Design patents are too malleable.

Ganzo does sell on Amazon directly. They also seem to have EBC (enhanced brand content), which means they actually may have provided all legal documents to Amazon for EBC. That was the only way, as far as I know.

Whack a mole with various resellers will not happen if it is indeed illegal. They pull SKU and ASIN, meaning no one would be allowed to sell their models.

I do not want to report saying “maybe they are infringing patent rights, im not sure..” because it will be ignored.

Btw... in this community, whenever talking about Chinese brands.. i have to somehow bash Chinese people saying they are lying, cheating monsters when talking about Chinese knives, or I come off as a communist supporter of red China for some reason. When all im doing is asking a question to see if I can report to Amazon with some backing.

And no one is saying those awful things until you brought them up. The hyperbole is not needed in a serious discussion among adults.

So do you buy ganzo products? Notice those who do are where my comments are directed.

You came here to find out if ganzo is doing anything illegal. You need to do enough research to understand that US patent law isn't exactly enforceable in china. Further, you need to do enough research to realize the axis lock patent experation is far more complicated than a simple Google search.

By all means, try to shut who ever is selling these down. But please do some research first. It won't help going at this half assed. This has been covered in depth here many times. Do a search. Filter by my username. You'll find far more than you want.
No. I have not bought any Ganzo knives. And I dont care what China does in China. It cant be enforced in China, that is fine. But Amazon is not a Chinese company.

Amazon does not allow a company to sell a counterfeit product. Yes counterfeits are sold, but they are doing it without letting Amazon know it is a counterfiet. Amazon does not open up individual packages to check if they are counterfeits.

Btw.. please note i did not write “No! i have NEVER and never will buy Chinese junk made by sick communist bastards”. I just wrote “i have not bought any Ganzo knives”. It does not mean I support Chinese brands or infringing patents. It is the opposite.

The spydie hole is trademarked.

On you last comment, there are several threads on innovative Chinese companies and bashing of Chinese people is frowned on pretty strongly by the mods, just like any bigotry. I have seen a number of people infracted for it, so will have to disagree with your comment.

With that, I am just going to step out of the rest of this conversation since it seems to be going in a weird direction.

Last edited:
Im out too. Sorry. I started the thread to talk just about Ganzo lock and Axis lock.

Not about China.. or how bad Amazon or Ebay (never used it to know).. or whatever people hate. I just wanted some info.

Sorry for the thread. Wish i can close it. My apologies for bring it up.

There are several compounding levels of grey-ness that go on. First you have the axis lock (which we will know is out of patent about 10 minutes after it expires when everyone and their dog releases a knife with it) then you have direct design copies of other knives (rat 1 and paramilitary/delica) with that lock. And you have the unauthorized use of the spydie-hole. Try to get any enforcement on any of those. Good luck.

You will have to forgive some of the flak you caught L Leo3an , as I'm not kidding this horse has been beaten so long there is pit where it used to be, and there wouldn't be enough bits left to find by a TV CSI team. Almost every person who's raised it as a question has come at it from the point of view of "well, if its not technically illegal, why shouldn't I buy them. Not saying that's you, but the song sounds very familiar. Its been going on for YEARS.

Im out too. Sorry. I started the thread to talk just about Ganzo lock and Axis lock.

Not about China.. or how bad Amazon or Ebay (never used it to know).. or whatever people hate. I just wanted some info.

Sorry for the thread. Wish i can close it. My apologies for bring it up.
Yes please. Please inform Amazon that vendors of Ganzo knives are violating a lawful Trademark of a US based company. Please post again when you can let us know how that went for you.

Thanks for being part of the solution.

PS: the only person inferring racial bashing in this thread has been you. That's a slippery slope if you hope to be around to update us on your claim to Amazon...here's hoping for the best!

"also Dude, Chinaman is not the preffered nomenclature; Asian American please.." Walter Sobchak

You should really cite your facts regarding the patent no longer being in force.

You should also be aware that this same assertion has been made repeatedly here and proved wrong repeatedly.

You may have come across new information but history is not in your favor.

I could be wrong, but i think he may be right about benchmade axis lock patent expiring and now being public domain. Here is a link to benchmade's website with their listed patents and i do not see the standard axis lock on there anymore. I do see the axis assist. I have no interest in buying ganzo, and i would still recommend not buying since they were in fact knocking off benchmade when they certainly had the patent.

http://www.benchmade.com/patents

I could be wrong, but i think he may be right about benchmade axis lock patent expiring and now being public domain. Here is a link to benchmade's website with their listed patents and i do not see the standard axis lock on there anymore. I do see the axis assist. I have no interest in buying ganzo, and i would still recommend not buying since they were in fact knocking off benchmade when they certainly had the patent.

http://www.benchmade.com/patents

Benchmade does not hold the patent for the Axis Lock. It's held by McHenry & Williams. The locks inventors.

Benchmade does not hold the patent for the Axis Lock. It's held by McHenry & Williams. The locks inventors.
Excellent point. Clearly explains why benchmade would not and can not claim it on their website. Also might explain why they will not discuss the patent: it is not theirs to discuss.

Hm, seems like I remember somebody already saying that, but apparently it needed to be said again.;)

Excellent point. Clearly explains why benchmade would not and can not claim it on their website. Also might explain why they will not discuss the patent: it is not theirs to discuss.
I did a quick check of one of the patents Benchmade has listed and they are not the patent holder, so your presumption is wrong.

I did a quick check of one of the patents Benchmade has listed and they are not the patent holder, so your presumption is wrong.
Or it could be right and they just happen to not list it. A bit odd folks are putting so much weight into voluntary list on a corporate website that may or may not be accurate.

Or it could be right and they just happen to not list it. A bit odd folks are putting so much weight into voluntary list on a corporate website that may or may not be accurate.
So which statement are you now staying with?
It “clearly explains why they would not and can not list it on their website”
or “they just happen not to list it”?

Benchmade DOES NOT HOLD THE PATENT!

Jeez!

Back