Is it just me or is Benchmade really falling behind.

I don't feel like getting anything from them this year other than the 87, they seem to think s30v is ideal, if they want to stick to fanboys buying their "premium" knives their name isn't kershaw, and nothing seemed innovative for a few years now. I just don't know anymore. Ya I mean they fix my knives for free but they're knives I bought 2 years ago and 1/2 of spyderco and cold steel's stuff at least gets me to look twice.

New account or not, I agree that Benchmade's choice in steel is pretty damn dated. However, their designs are still classic Benchmade...subtle, utilitarian, purpose built.

I know this subforum may get tired of seeing me berate S30V, but I'm not wrong. Spyderco has been making regular-production knives in faaaar superior steels for years now, and are about to release the famed PM2 in Maxamet for regular-production.

I wait for the "special edition" Benchmades in "upgraded" steels (read: still not quite current) in order to justify the prices.

I love my Benchies but I agree that their new offerings have been somewhat lackluster, especially when compared to the classics which were d/c to make way for them over the last few years.

I don't feel like getting anything from them this year other than the 87, they seem to think s30v is ideal, if they want to stick to fanboys buying their "premium" knives their name isn't kershaw, and nothing seemed innovative for a few years now. I just don't know anymore. Ya I mean they fix my knives for free but they're knives I bought 2 years ago and 1/2 of spyderco and cold steel's stuff at least gets me to look twice.

You do know this is where fans of Benchmade lurk...:) I like their new slipjoint and the newer Impel just to name two.

I actually agree with you in a broad sense, but I see signs of positive change. Both the Proper and Crooked River give a tantalizing look at an aesthetic that blends modern and traditional in ways I find very appealing. I don't think they quite have it nailed down yet, but I'm hoping to see a big push in that direction come SHOT Show.

That said, I would love to see some steel changes. Even a move from S30V to S35VN would make me feel better about dropping the kind of scratch they're asking for.

The Bugout 535 is awesome and innovative to the extent they made a sweet knife at a crazy light 1.8 oz. If you don't like Benchmades current offerings then look elsewhere for purchase needs you have. No big deal. You're not required to like Benchmade knives, or even like knives at all for that matter. Enjoy what you like and leave it at that. But to answer the title question, Benchmade isn't falling behind just because one person doesn't like their current designs. They seem to be a profitable company so I would guess they are doing just fine for themselves.

EDIT To Add: As far as steel goes S30V and 154cm for that matter have all cut what I needed so that doesn't bother me. But if you'd prefer other steels obviously Benchmade does offer M4, 20cv, M390, etc.

I know there's nothing "wrong" with S30V, but I do prefer owning and using knives made with M390, S90V, etc. Given the choice, as in the 940 series (or many of Spyderco's offerings), I nearly always go with the premium stuff. The exception would be when I'm not sure I will like a particular knife--I might try and find a used one on the exchange in the cheapest steel available, but if I like it I nearly always sell it on and replace it with the upgraded option. That said, the Bugout has me interested. I'll probably try one because light weight is important to me (I'd already own one if they made it in M390).

I sold most of my 940/943's because they could not get off of the S-30-V dime. They finally came up with an S-90-V 940, but I prefer the 943 blade shape. S-90-V does not blow me away, I have 14 knives in S-110-V and S-125-V.

Many models are available with upgraded steels through dealership LE specials, the BM custom shop, and Gold class offerings. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to keep track of who's offering what.

I know I've read posts about how BM's choice to offer certain steels requires a lot of r&d in regards to HT and performance parameters... but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will pipe in on that.

Just for example, Ernie Emerson uses 154cm blade steel in most of his knives, and retains a cult following. The famous 970 and 975 collaboration models built by Benchmade are still around in the flow. (The older models from the late 90's were built to last and they do...) Point is they (Emerson) sell a lot of knives and money is made, even using 'ancient' blade steels. I'm not making a point at anyone here, but do think choices of steel are personal preference.

Agreed for the most part with the op. But do want an anthem. Also bugout cause someone makes carbon fiber scales for them and it makes it lighter and stiffer eg better.

I'd buy more but the constant qc issues prevents me.

Nothing innovative?
The first integral axis lock (Anthem) or the first Titanium axis bar (Bugout) is not innovative?
I respectfully disagree.
In addition, 20CV, S90V, M4, M390, S30V & 154CM is not enough?
I, once again, respectfully disagree.
Seems to be all a matter of perspective.

It's you...
+2, for starters.

One of the things I like about Benchmade is their great diversity of offerings. They also have over the years put out some iconically classic designs. What disappoints me is the discontinuation of certain models, the latest round of those last fall took some of their classics out of the catalog. Fortunately, I'm all set for 710s, Strykers, and some of the other recent discos, but would like to see knives like the Ares, large Rukus, AFCK/TSEKs (I do fortunately have some of those), etc still available without having to pay a king's ransom on the secondary market for them.

As to steels, Keyman Keyman hit it on the head with their breadth of offerings and, furthermore, 154CM is a damn good steel and S30V is a damn good steel. With "higher quality" steels come higher prices and there are usually upgrades, limited runs, and exclusives available in those if that's what floats your boat.

Nothing innovative?
The first integral axis lock (Anthem) or the first Titanium axis bar (Bugout) is not innovative?
I respectfully disagree.
In addition, 20CV, S90V, M4, M390, S30V & 154CM is not enough?
I, once again, respectfully disagree.
Seems to be all a matter of perspective.

With regards to steel, it's not perspective, it's numbers.

These are production knives from the factory, without bouncing around on different sites trying to find the special edition one-off's from knife sellers.

20CV - 4 models, only 3 of which came originally spec'd with 20CV (781, 698, 928)
S90V - 3 models, 2 of which are just -1 models of already-existing knives (940-1, 484-1)
M4 - 1 model...?
M390 - 5-ish, but the 765 is just a smaller 761, so...4?

S30V --- 37 models, and a good portion of them are new releases within the last year or so.

If we are talking about dated materials, 154CM (as fantastic as it is) is older than S30V, so I removed it from this list. D2 is another golden oldie. I wish the Adamas was released in M4 or 3V, but the rest of the knife is so perfect for hard use that I'm fine with replacing the blade once a year from sharpening chips out of the D2.

With regards to steel, it's not perspective, it's numbers.
I hear you.
However, enough variety VS not enough variety.......is definitely a matter of perspective.
I certainly have enough variety of steels in my collection of BM's.
Others may feel differently.
To each his own.

Back