Is it just me or is Benchmade really falling behind.

I have no gripes with Benchmade and their offerings. Ive grown tired of the "flavor of the month" super steel chase anyway. I was perfectly happy with 154.

Funny, I thought Spyderco was getting a bit boring with all the leaf shaped blades and giant holes in the blade. :D

Benchmade seems to be stepping up the QC as of late. My only real concern.

It seems to me there are a few major issues plauging Benchmade right now.

1. Poor QC: I've heard lots of promises on this very forum that BMs QC issues will be resolved. So far I have seen no move to actually address this.

2. Discontinuing all their best models: Yeah great move BM. Why don't you disco all your most beloved models that hit it out the park, and attempt to release a bunch of new models that will be loved. Why BM?

3. Blade steel: Yeah enough of the S30v. Not that it is necessarily a bad steel and I have a few blades where they seemed to get the heat treat right. On the other hand I have so many blades in S30v thay I just hate. There are so many better steels available now.

Last edited:
Would have to agree as well that something new is definitely long overdue.

As far as S30V well it depends how you look at it. I have seen blades with S35VN that are triple the price of Benchmade. However, if comparing to Spyderco then definitely steel upgrade is warranted.

What I would love to see is a titanium frame lock (flipper or thumbstud). The Proxy blade shape just leaves to be desired, the finger choil and sharpening choil just ruin the entire knife. I know of the Monolock but blade shape, tip down, super thin handle is also not my cup of tea.

I know that Benchmade is KNOWN for their AXIS lock but they keep using it because its a safe zone for them. How about coming out of the comfort zone and trying different things for once.

All being said I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THEIR WARRANTY SERVICE.

Er, why? It's great.

I don't like my blades to flip out without deploying via the thumb studs/flipper/etc. What I mean is the axis lock is not very strong to keep blade in close position. The axis lock is great to fondle and for EDC but its the nitpicking in me.

Reactions: Mo2
If you don't like Benchmades current offerings then look elsewhere for purchase needs you have. No big deal.
While I will agree with this statement, I doubt Benchmade would like to do so.

That is the problem with their offerings. While many out there don't know any better, and they will still buy the same knife year after year until discontinued; those that actually talk about knives (us) will not.

How many here would agree that if we are around and something needs to be cut, there is often a reference made like "Oh, Bill** has a knife."...

If anyone is going to be suggesting a new knife to someone, carrying a new knife, the new alloy, ctek handles, et al, it will likely be one of us, and for better or worse, we influence those around us. I know that I personally am responsible for four people now carrying knives daily. If I had a benchmade in my pocket, maybe they would too. As it stands, none of them (nor I) currently carry a Benchmade.

Once they (Benchmade) start stretching their legs, and seeing what else is out there for regular production runs, I will start looking more seriously at the brand... I love the lock, but I do not like S30V.
For comparable coin, I can get frame locks, liner locks, bolt locks (which are very close in action), and Caged BB Locks (also similar once broken in) all with upgraded alloys.

Which would I carry, a Griptilian in S30V or a Manix 2 in Maxamet or Cruwear for the same coin?
I will tell you what, my purchase will be based upon the alloy, not the lock since they are similar enough that the alloy more than makes up for it...

Edited for specificity and grammatical reasonings.

Last edited:
Would love to try a properly heat-treated thin slicer in s110v with an axis lock which I consider to be superior to anything out there for my uses. Yes, I have thought about Spyderco's Manix2 but bought a 940-1501 because the lock is proven, the build was perfect, and excellent CS is important to me. Thought about saving a little more to get a Freak as a loaner instead of an Ontario rat 1 D2 with G10 scales off their 1A model. Gave a Hidden Canyon to one of the grandkids who loves it. My son-in-law has a (custom) Darrell Ralph in s30v and he loves it. He says he doesn't need anything better in his lifetime, so he is done chasing steel, even though I tease him with D2 m390 and s20v BM's.

And that's why there are other knife companies.

Up until recently I'd been on a Spyderco kick between my new Lil'Temp 3 and Manix 2 LW in CTS-XHP. Then Benchmade came out with the Bugout and that's been my EDC since I got it last Sunday.

Some of us are ok with not having the "flavor of the week" when it comes to blade steel. When I have bought Spyderco's I never really sought out models with S110v or Maxamet as they don't appeal to me. I try to find a balance between sharpen-ability and edge retention. Most of the models that I bought were S30v. I would have liked to have tried some Cts Xhp/204P but the models I was interested in weren't really offered in it.

Someone mentioned going with the alloy offered and while the steel is the heart of the blade, I can't ignore other variables. A Spyderco just doesn't carry as well in my pockets. I'm not bashing them; I actually like the company and Sal a lot. I like many of their offerings as well but a PM2 just doesn't carry well to me in pocket and a Manix is way worse. They tend to be pocket hogs.

Warranty and CS is an important variable as well. Benchmade's is the best. They answer, are cordial, and have never charged me for external or internal parts. Other companies have.

154cm is a fine steel. I will say it's hard to justify buying some knives with that steel in the Benchmade line up (the Rift for instance) because the value doesn't seem to be there any longer. Those knives either need upgraded steel or price drops. I do wish Benchmade would throw some S35vn and M390 into the mix as well as some Carpenter. Variety can be fun.

My point in the long ramble? The steel is only a piece of the puzzle and if that's the most important thing to you, I'm cool with that but for me it's a piece of the puzzle that I take into account before purchasing a knife.

I was talking to a premier dealer the other day and they said that Benchmade sales are tanking for them. Said they have not put in a reorder for awhile.

As for me, I love the Grips, but the overall lineup is kinda meh. I do see a 940 and an Adamas in my future....but that is about it.

Some of us are ok with not having the "flavor of the week" when it comes to blade steel.
I don't understand this arguement.
Alloys are, for the most part, decided based upon needs and wants.

If you need a blade that is
- impervious to rust, you look at H1 and LC200N.
- Highly wear resistant, you look for S90V, S110V, Maxamet
- Easily touched up, 154cm

Each alloy has its strengths and weaknesses, and considering the immediate availability of diamond sharpening equipment, ease of sharpening should be lower on the list then it once was... Now all it takes is a little more time.
- Due to the hardness and makeup, Maxamet forms one of the least stubborn burrs I have ever seen. While it does take a bit more time to reprofile or sharpen from dead dull, maintaining an edge is Very easy and generally speaking silicates are less hard than the blade itself, so sand and other gritty materials have a significantly less detrimental affect on the cutting edge...

Flavor of the week is passe at best. I think once folks buy what their uses dictate, and not what a brand says they what is best for them, the market will either become more versatile or less averse to change and more willing to experiment.

When was that a bad thing?

I was talking to a premier dealer the other day and they said that Benchmade sales are tanking for them. Said they have not put in a reorder for awhile.

As for me, I love the Grips, but the overall lineup is kinda meh. I do see a 940 and an Adamas in my future....but that is about it.

+1

And I swap the 940 for a 943-1 when ever that happens..

If you need a blade that is
- impervious to rust, you look at H1 and LC200N.
- Highly wear resistant, you look for S90V, S110V, Maxamet
- Easily touched up, 154cm

Each alloy has its strengths and weaknesses, and considering the immediate availability of diamond sharpening equipment, ease of sharpening should be lower on the list then it once was... Now all it takes is a little more time.
- Due to the hardness and makeup, Maxamet forms one of the least stubborn burrs I have ever seen. While it does take a bit more time to reprofile or sharpen from dead dull, maintaining an edge is Very easy and generally speaking silicates are less hard than the blade itself, so sand and other gritty materials have a significantly less detrimental affect on the cutting edge...

Flavor of the week is passe at best. I think once folks buy what their uses dictate, and not what a brand says they what is best for them, the market will either become more versatile or less averse to change and more willing to experiment.

Maybe that was a harsh phase and I apologize for that. Steel should absolutely be dictated by use as well as other design features.

My old man uses a 154cm Mini Grip and loves it. He has never cared much for stainless steel as he finds it hard to sharpen. He can use and sharpen that knife with the Work Sharp Guided system he has very easily and for him that works. If I gave him a Benchmade with S90v I'm sure he would like the performance but not the maintenance.

I honestly didn't care for 110v when I had it either even with diamond hones I found it a burden to maintain and sharpen. I'm not interested in spending several hundred on a sharpening system. Maxamet I've never used but would be open to that based on what you've said. I don't mind 154cm or S30v but I did choose an M390 version of the Grip to be my everyday carry most days. I don't think there's anything wrong with Spyderco or their business model, I like Sal and Spyderco. I just don't know that Benchmade would or could have the same success due to their model. Spyderco makes knives all over the world in several factories. The Golden facility can make the PM2 in 3 different standard models (s30, s110, and Maxamet) but I'm not sure that Benchmade could?

I guess what I'm saying is we're not looking for the same things in a knife. I know my Grip and 940 carry better than most Spyderco's that I've owned. I also know that I find sharpening them easier because they have a plunge grind where Spyderco has no sharpening choil. I also really like the customer service/parts replacement that Benchmade offers.

I have, do, and will probably still buy more Spyderco's when they offer a knife that I like. I'd love a Gayle Bradley but a carbon steel pocket knife with carbon fiber isn't my thing. Stainless and G10 and I'm in because I love the design of that knife.

I hate for this to become a Benchmade vs. Spyderco thread but it generally does because those two and ZT are the big three in terms of production knives for most people.

That's one dealer. My local dealer stopped carrying Spyderco because he couldn't move them. People would generally only buy the cheaper models (Tenacious) when they bought a Spyderco and most people didn't like the "out there" design. Another business I visited recently was clearancing several brands because they weren't selling but bragged that Benchmade was they're top seller. It all depends on the market, I believe.

10000% agreed.

At one time, S30V was the "flavor of the week" and there were plenty of people that could not figure out why anyone would want something better than ATS-34.

I have yet to figure out if the majority of people defending the S30V blanket are defending the steel itself, or just refuse to question Benchmade's questionable choice. Methinks it's the latter.

I said it before, my own suspicion is that Benchmade bartered a smoking deal for a massive batch of S30V, and now the consumer gets a whitewashed product line until that contract runs dry.

*removes tinfoil hat*

Would have to agree as well that something new is definitely long overdue.

As far as S30V well it depends how you look at it. I have seen blades with S35VN that are triple the price of Benchmade. However, if comparing to Spyderco then definitely steel upgrade is warranted.

What I would love to see is a titanium frame lock (flipper or thumbstud). The Proxy blade shape just leaves to be desired, the finger choil and sharpening choil just ruin the entire knife. I know of the Monolock but blade shape, tip down, super thin handle is also not my cup of tea.

I know that Benchmade is KNOWN for their AXIS lock but they keep using it because its a safe zone for them. How about coming out of the comfort zone and trying different things for once.

All being said I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THEIR WARRANTY SERVICE.

There is absolutely no reason s35vn should be 3x the price of s30v

Back