Is knife making worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knifemaking may not be the most profitable business in the world, but it does have it’s own special type of benefits,… and the possibility of achieving sainthood. :)

One good thing is that you never have to worry about getting laid

Little snip on the second quote :) but seems like knifemaking is has additional benefits beyond money-

After reading thru this how much would a person have to make on a daily basis to pay all
the bills, have nice vehicles, a nice house, plus have a family health insurance plan and a
solid retirement? plan in this day and age. If thats the goal I certainly don't think knifemaking
would ever enter as a thought. We all do what we can but Don Hansons reply sticks out cause
I just can't see any rational thinking person making choices like that. Now not thinking about it
and going ahead the way Don said works to a degree-I did it the same way. But--- a large amount
of what people consider necessary perks don't exist.
Ken.

Salem...trade someone a knife for attention to that molar. Those darn things can become a MAJOR hassle if you let them go for an extended period. As far as the knives go: make them and then turn them for a profit. Use the cash for extra creature comforts or just paying basic bills. There will always be someone out there who desires your hand fashioned product as a direct result of being addicted to collecting cutlery. It is basic nature to change things...and people always want to change the size of their collections!

The question of worth never entered my mind. :confused:

When I got interested, I just started making knives. There was no question involved.

Amen Don! I started making knives because I found out that it was possible. I'm so limited on shop time but it's all I think about. I could care less if I ever make a dime in profits. Though, I would like to make money so I can buy more tools!

I believe with the right support system(wife with a decent job, living within your means, pension) you can make money making knives. A lot of it is in MARKETING! And, mid tech production...Look at Snody, Busse...

I personally make knives because I desire to create something. I picked up Blade magazine one day and it featured an article on Raymond Richard. He lives 20 miles from me. I realized that people were making knives just a few miles from me and with tools I could buy. That was all it took and 1.5 years and a couple thousand dollars later and I'm on my way!

I personally make knives because I desire to create something. I picked up Blade magazine one day and it featured an article on Raymond Richard. He lives 20 miles from me. I realized that people were making knives just a few miles from me and with tools I could buy. That was all it took and 1.5 years and a couple thousand dollars later and I'm on my way!

You are lucky to have such a kind talented man live near you. I also have many talented makers near me. This makes a huge difference when you struggle with the concept of turning a hobby into a business.

I'll post photos of the help I got from a friend on the IKA (Idaho Knife assoc) with my little giant on another thread.

Dean Lapinel
Boise, ID
ABS Apprentice Smith

Salem...trade someone a knife for attention to that molar.
I used to travel to Central America and have dental work done for less than in the U.S, travel and hotel included. It's pretty bad here if you don't have benefits.

This reminds me of the saying; "If ya have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it"

I hate that phrase.
It's used as a sales tactic to bully into buying something without thinking.

I've found that the only ones that have money, are the ones that pay attention to it, both coming and going.

I hate that phrase.
It's used as a sales tactic to bully into buying something without thinking.

I've found that the only ones that have money, are the ones that pay attention to it, both coming and going.

Only stupid people buy stuff without thinking. ;)

Kind of like, if you have to ask; Should I make knives? Then you probably should not.

If you really want to make knives bad enough, you will. ;)

After reading thru this how much would a person have to make on a daily basis to pay all
the bills, have nice vehicles, a nice house, plus have a family health insurance plan and a
solid retirement? plan in this day and age. If thats the goal I certainly don't think knifemaking
would ever enter as a thought. We all do what we can but Don Hansons reply sticks out cause
I just can't see any rational thinking person making choices like that. Now not thinking about it
and going ahead the way Don said works to a degree-I did it the same way. But--- a large amount
of what people consider necessary perks don't exist.
Ken.

Ken, well said. I am rational to a point, but far from normal mainstream. :D

Kind of like, if you have to ask; Should I make knives? Then you probably should not.

If you really want to make knives bad enough, you will. ;)

Ding Ding Ding!! That is the correct answer for this and just about anything in life.

Dean Lapinel
Boise, ID
ABS Apprentice Smith

Knife making is only worthwhile if the idea of not making knives is something that causes you distress.

Knife making is only worthwhile if the idea of not making knives is something that causes you distress.

That's the truth! When I get done with making knives for the workday I either research knives or make more knives "on the side."

It's an obsession that can't be helped!

I'm with Don, Salem, Justin and Daniel; knifemaking isn't a hobby, it's part of who I am.
I've taken time away from the shop to go work "real" jobs :barf: to make ends meet, and I'm realistic enough to admit, it may happen again. I'm willing to make certain sacrifices and put in ridiculous hours to make it happen. I spend as much time on research, shipping and handling, networking, selling, rounding up materials, crunching the numbers, communicating with clients and so forth as I do actually making knives, and I bet most small-businesspeople would say the same. It's not for everyone, or everyone would be doing it.

As for letting it be a hobby or sidejob, of course it's worth it - if you want it to be. If you can't break even or build up a little capital with a few knives a year, you're doing something wrong. Ask a few simple questions... Do you really need a $2000 grinder or can you accomplish the same grinds on a $500 machine? Are you charging enough for your knives, or dumping them on the market for pennies on the dollar just to say you sold something? Does it really make sense to pour your money into the latest super-steels and most exotic handle materials or would you be better served with 1084 or 440C and micarta? The right answers can lead you to a more rewarding place.

Another way to look at is this, I couldn't stop making knives if I wanted to. All my tools, materials and extra rent I pay to have a space to work is all because making knives is who I am. Therefore every knife I will ever sell is 100% pure profit.:D

... I wonder how much Nathan could pay us? I think knifemaking proves our competency... Nathan?

Dean, I still worry about getting laid, just not nearly as often,... last time I threw my back out and got a crik in my neck... couldn't do any knifemaking for a week or two. ;)

Last edited:
If some folks' avatars are any indication, apparently having the right hat and or tat might help...

... I wonder how much Nathan could pay us? I think knifemaking proves our competency... Nathan?
;)

A person who can shadow me around the shop and pick up stuff I can't, empty chips, muck sumps etc, package parts and not break stuff $8.00/hr

A person who can do the above, and load parts into fixtures and press the green button without screwing up parts $10/hr

The above and can read prints and measure stuff, load and touch off tooling and fixtures and recognize small problems before they're big problems $12-$16/hr

But, what I need is a person who can help with quotes, select and purchase materials and cutters, develop good gcode in CAM from STEP files without supervision, and run machining centers without supervision. In an efficient manner and without breaking expensive things. And come in every day, without drama and substance abuse problems. $20-$25/hr

Dean, I still worry about getting laid, just not nearly as often,... last time I threw my back out and got a crik in my neck... couldn't do any knifemaking for a week or two. ;)

Oh hell man, wasn't that a year ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back