Is knife making worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nathan: I am moving to north carolina. I am definitely worth $10 an hour. :D

Actually I have a friend that needs part time work. He is an old employee I'll never forget. He is now a friend. Always shows up on time and gets the tasks done, plus some. But he's in Cary and that looks to be too far.

To the OP. I think you have your answer. But it really depends upon what "worth it" means to you. Perhaps two to three $150 knives a week is plenty of money. Perhaps you need to make $1500 a week. Then take a month to make a $6000 work of art. It all depends on your needs, desires, skills and resources.

I'll suggest you go to the custom knives forum here and have a look at what these guys offering advice are producing. You will see some real skills here. And they are all very friendly. Even Rick. No really!

Are you any good? Any skills?

I have seen more than my share of people who pop up on here and start trying to sell knives, often that are production knives they simply took an angle grinder to, and glued on some hideous scales, that they then took an angle grinder to.

If you make a decent looking knife out of actual knife steel, give it a decent heat treat, and attach reasonably shaped handles, the answer might be yes.

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong... or maybe I just live lighter. I don't have "bigboy" toys or expensive hobbies, don't have cable or satellite, No I-Phones, X-box, surround sound, I don't eat out or party and I drive my car (maybe) 1-2 times a week. My shop equipment cost me under $3000... my car, even less. I am a fulltime knifemaker and I can pay the bills without suffering. My bladesmithing mentor also makes a decent living at it. It helps that my wife can work(though she just lost her job due to cutbacks). There have been times when we each have counted on the other for the majority of support... now, it is my turn, again. We are not afraid(well maybe a little). I left a job with a six-digit income because it made me miserable. My wife's former job made her miserable, too... so we see her termination as an opportunity to be happier.

That said, I don't have all my eggs in one basket. The knifemaking wave might not carry me all the way to shore, so I have to be ready to paddle until the next set rolls in. I am a part time musician, love leather work, can teach wilderness skills and plan to expand my current business even further. I don't want to "retire" because that gives the impression of being liberated from something undesirable. I want to make a living from simply LIVING, so I don't have to retire. We are looking to reduce our need for money at the same time as finding ways to earn it. I'm not going to play by the conventional rules, where wealth is measured by "having what you want"... I'll consider myself wealthy when I have no wants because my needs are fulfilled. That is what I choose to focus on.

Sorry for the sway.

Last edited:
I dont know about making a living from just making knives. that would depend on your lifestyle and spending habits.

Ive been making knives since I pounded a fence top rail pipe flat, taped the handle and added a guard as a kid so my "sword" would be better than the other kids. must have been around 7 at the time. Ive been making them for about 8-9 years kinda seriously this time with a home-built forge and now home-built grinders. Only started selling them at the end of last year, and I think I do well enough at it. Id be making them anyways, and now I can make enough to sell some and get my materials paid for and have a small hourly income from it.

My personal situation is that I have other ventures that, when things are running smoothly { about 75% of the time}, doesnt require much of my attention, and take care of the bills. But I am a Mr. Mom, so I need flexibility in anything I do. my knifemaking just happens to fill the gaps in my day. an hour before take kids to school, 2 hours before a meeting, after workouts, ect..... I doubt I get a full day of straight knife work in maybe 5 days a month.

I love working in the shop, whether knives or anything else, so Id be doing it anyways. But, this can make money, and from what I see on the exchange, there are a few guys selling a ton of good blades just as fast as they can get them posted one in particular seems to sell one daily for $150-$300 I think, if you average that to $200, and 5 a week, thats $4000 a month, minus expenses, materials, insurance, ect... But thta is just on the exchange here. He is probably selling more elsewhere.

I think the key to this as in all business, is that you get out of it what you put into it. And business skills in adition to shop skills will decide how far it takes you.

I haven't read everyone's reply but here's mine. I've been at this for 3 to 4 years now, I do it on my off time from work. Im the kind of person that has to have something to do all the time so it fits me well. I started out with nothing, just a idea and the drive to become good at something. I own tools I would have never been able to own if it wasnt for knifemaking, and Ive met some of the nicest, most wonderful people in the world. In the aspect of doing it part time, Id say yes... Full time, absolutely not. Now thats just me and my personal answer. You ask my wife and she will tell you real quick No! Doing this stuff full time is alot of hard , hard work, and it takes luck too. These guys selling knives for big money have been around along time. For the fun aspect, Hell yea its worth it-----For the money aspect, Hell no

Nathan I know one of the above who can do everything you wish and just a couple years ago he was out of work. I can ask him if he know anyone.

Been considering getting into knife making for a while now. I'm wondering what you knife makers think about this? Is it a good idea? Is it a profitable business? I would have to invest time and money to get it started so I need advice. If I had the money I could simply try it out, but I don't.

Thanks in advance.

Knifemaking is dangerous..

I have had iodine poisoning twice in the last 30 days...

Eating lots of shrimp..

Its a fast train, too fast for some people.. Money, Women, Travel, Jewelry, Real Estate, Crab Meat, Gucci..

[youtube]3UYwiKmRz6A[/youtube]

Working with the Worlds most Exotic Materials and being recognized as an International Artist, its a Tough Job...

Good Luck, your only competition is yourself.. The Sky is Truly the Limit..

[youtube]KGjVX6JuNrU[/youtube]

Much Respect from Texas..

That said, I don't have all my eggs in one basket. The knifemaking wave might not carry me all the way to shore, so I have to be ready to paddle until the next set rolls in. I am a part time musician, love leather work, can teach wilderness skills and plan to expand my current business even further. I don't want to "retire" because that gives the impression of being liberated from something undesirable. I want to make a living from simply LIVING, so I don't have to retire. We are looking to reduce our need for money at the same time as finding ways to earn it. I'm not going to play by the conventional rules, where wealth is measured by "having what you want"... I'll consider myself wealthy when I have no wants because my needs are fulfilled. That is what I choose to focus on.

The guideline for living life that I share with those that have open ears is that you can become accomplished in anything that drives your soul with passion. Being accomplished isn't synonymous with financial success but the success of achieving your goal (or living as Rick states). Living in this manner, tackling your passion, fulfilling your curiosity is part of a package that also gives you friendship. With this and family, if you are fortunate to still have family relationships, is almost all you need in life. The concept of accumulating money was one of the parents of the 50's.
There is still a need for financial stability for much like the dreaded health insurance but you can get by with much less when you have skill and the basic tools to tinker with. Developing multiple interests is beneficial in many ways:
Broadens your concept of life
Friendships in many fields
As one ages there are increasing chances of some form of disability and the variety gives one a menu of activities to pursue.
As you learn more (happens more easily with diverse interests) there is a natural protection from Alzheimer's...if one is genetically predisposed.
If you are accomplished in any field it becomes easier to do the same in others.

Full time? As others have said it's not an easy path but if the passion and desire is there, go for it with the recognition that there are an incredible number of talented makers now and more to come so make your work unique in some manner and market professionally. The knife market is still good and I have my own theory on that. I spent close to thirty years on violin making and that market is barely breathing. The tools, tone woods still have value and perhaps if the economy returns and there is a renewed appreciation and understanding of "handmade" then the market may return and I will carve again.

Like Rick I have many areas of skill sets but at the present I choose knife making and one other field to try to use as my main source of income. I have lofty goals but a good understanding of the hurdles and the distraction of enjoying life outside of the workshop.

I hope this helps with the OP's question. I enjoy conversation and knife makers have given me so much that I am open to discussing this topic more deeply by phone. This is more of a life decision question tethered to knife making constraints.

Dean Lapinel
ABS Apprentice Smith

Dean, I am always curious when I see knifemakers with other hobbies. I mean, can you do that and hope to master both? I play a little guitar but I need all my free time invested in knifemaking now if I want to get good at it. Not complaining mind you, I LOVE knifemaking. Just curious how others do it. Maybe they are simply more talented.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Patrice Lemée;10831352 said:
Dean, I am always curious when I see knifemakers with other hobbies. I mean, can you do that and hope to master both? I play a little guitar but I need all my free time invested in knifemaking now if I want to get good at it. Not complaining mind you, I LOVE knifemaking. Just curious how others do it. Maybe they are simply more talented.
QUOTE]

This isn't really off topic. In my opinion, the more skills you master, the easier it is to master a new one. I know many people who are "elite" in many fields. There are several things at play here a limited two are:
Crossover or overlap of skills (machinist/ knifemaker as an example)
Accelerated learning information gathering (same with motor skills).
There are some that choose only one specialty in life. There is no problem with that. There is a problem with the mistaken concept that you can have multiple talents or that somehow it's just not right.
Diversity improves creativity.

Patrice Lemée;10831352 said:

Sorry for the off-topic.
I know you addressed Dean but I would like to comment and you don't have the choice... Ha!
"Mastery" is relative. If you live in the NOW(so cliche) there is no "hope" for mastery... there is only doing the best you can with the knowledge you posess. I have no aspirations to become a great knifemaker, drummer, artist, fighter, teacher, husband or father. I just chug along and do what betters my life, my family and those around me. Take each train as far as you want to go and enjoy the ride. The truth is that the final stop might be just around the corner and if you aren't content where you are at when it happens, you won't be smiling when it ends. My train almost stopped at the age of 34. I was given a new ticket. I make sure my window is fog free, talk to the folks sitting next to me and don't complain when my seat gets uncomfy.... I'm just glad to be riding somewhere.

Rick

Last edited:
Chinese Proverb: "The Journey is the reward."

Great post Rick.

I know you addressed Dean but I would like to comment and you don't have the choice... Ha!
"Mastery" is relative. If you live in the NOW(so cliche) there is no "hope" for mastery... there is only doing the best you can with the knowledge you posess. I have no aspirations to become a great knifemaker, drummer, artist, fighter, teacher, husband or father. I just chug along and do what betters my life, my family and those around me. Take each train as far as you want to go and enjoy the ride. The truth is that the final stop might be just around the corner and if you aren't content where you are at when it happens, you won't be smiling when it ends. My train almost stopped at the age of 34. I was given a new ticket. I make sure my window is fog free, take to the folks sitting next to me and don't complain when my seat gets uncomfy.... I'm just glad to be riding somewhere.

Rick

To attempt perfection is impossible, to understand perfection is perfection.
Mastering a field or developing elite levels of skills are achievable. There is however, no end point in the learning process and commonly, the more you learn there is a greater understanding of how little you know. These concepts however are NOT mutually exclusive. This is getting a bit into practical philosophy. The simple (best) answer was stated long ago in this thread.

Last edited:
Chinese Proverb: "The Journey is the reward."

Well that Chinese guy obviously wasn't a knifemaker cause sometimes the journey just plain sucks, pardon my French. ;) In my case I would even say that most of the time in the shop I feel like I am on a tight rope. I fall down a lot trying to get to the other side and that's no fun. But a few times I stay on the rope for a little while which makes me forget the falls and helps me plod along. And when you finally step on the platform on the other side and look at the completed knife for the first time, there is no bigger reward.

So I get what you guys are saying about the journey. You have to enjoy it cause you might never make it to the other side. But it's not the only or best reward, for me anyway.

PS: Rick, you know I was addressing all my friends on here. And you know you are my friend, even if I an m not yours. :eek: ;)

I am a self employed metalsmith. I am not rich. I fix my own cars, I make jewelry, knives and reenactor goods. I got a part time job at a local grocery chain to make sure that my Harley payment gets made every month, it is the only vehicle I have ever financed, and the most expensive ($4000.00) vehicle I have ever owned. I will be on the road almost every weekend selling my work between now and the end of September. My wife has a good job with great health insurance, if she loses that job I will need to get a full time industry job with health insurance as without medical attention on a regular basis I will be dead in 3 months give or take a month or two. Finding a full time industry job with good health insurance will mean having to move to another state as upstate New York is dead.

I work 14 hours a day, typically 6 of those hours is billable paid time, 5 of those hours is speculative work, and the balance is supporting what I do (fixing the show trailer, paperwork, trying to build my website, building equipment) and that does not include fixing the house which urgently needs it.

I sell 2-3 knives a month in a good month, my other work pays the bills, the knives I do because I love them. If you are looking to get into knifemaking to make money it is a bad idea without major skills and major equipment, and major capital. You start out competing with 10-15 dollar Walmart specials mass produced in China, it will take a while to get your skills and equipment to the point where you are making something that looks better. Don't think for a minute that just because ABS Mastersmith X________________ ____________________ gets $5000.00 for a knife that you are going to, it will take time and experience before people will be willing to pay $500.00 for your knife

If you are looking for easy money, get hotdog cart

-Page

Very good stuff in this thread, guys!

Shrimp is wonderful and I love a nice train ride. :D

You are Running the Train...
You need a cape a big "S" on your chest.. You are the Superman of Knifemaking..
Anyone that has "doubts" just needs to look at your story..
I spend lots of time reading your threads and looking at your work.
Your work ethic, business model and success are motivating people like me.
I am just a vagabond that jumped on the train but I am enjoying the ride and I believe in America..
You guys just keep it on the tracks and I will throw crab claws and empty bottles of Rozay at any other hobos trying to jump on.
I believe we are only limited by the limits we place upon ourselves..
Much Respect..
[youtube]eFHJ41ktt3Q[/youtube]

Mike, that's the best song you've posted in a long, long time :p Much Respect.

The FIRST thing a would be knifemaker needs is a WIFE who is willing to work her fingers off to allow him to do what he loves. That will bring him happiness but not money.

To make money in knifemaking you must begin by WORKING all day. You cannot visit with your buddies, run to the store 4 or 5 times a day, you cannot spend lots of time on the phone or the computerdd. Either knifemaking it fun enough or yoiu will not make much money. Corbet Sigman, Bob Dozier, D' Holder are examples of successful makers

Second you MUST be a business person or have a wife who is. You must know what your costs are and ways to shave them and to get more work done in less time.

It is important to remember that most knifemakers do not work very hard, they hunt when they want and fish when they want and spend lost and lots of time visiting with folks who will never buy one of their knives.

I have had lots of knifemakers work for me and with VERY RARE exceptions they have not worked out because they did not understand that the boss MUST make a profit on your work or the business will fail.

There are 8-5 jobs out there for knifemakers, I have two available but they will be filled with skilled folks who are willing to make knives to someone else's diriction and to put in a full day of focused work every day. Sad to say, a good salary and benifits are not that important to most of us who love knives.

Knifemaking is dangerous..

I have had iodine poisoning twice in the last 30 days...

Eating lots of shrimp..

Its a fast train, too fast for some people.. Money, Women, Travel, Jewelry, Real Estate, Crab Meat, Gucci..

[youtube]3UYwiKmRz6A[/youtube]

Working with the Worlds most Exotic Materials and being recognized as an International Artist, its a Tough Job...

Good Luck, your only competition is yourself.. The Sky is Truly the Limit..

[youtube]KGjVX6JuNrU[/youtube]

Much Respect from Texas..

Mike you have just enough of that "Special Crazy" in you that sets the best apart from the rest.

The amount of work you get done at the level your doing is truly inspiring. Every great artisan I have ever met and known has the "Special Crazy". When someone asks you a question you give them your phone number and an answer... No B.S., No attitude. You are a rare breed brother.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back