Is knife making worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Very Humble.

It would be extremely challenging to find six (6) Bladesmiths anywhere in the World that are better than you.

Even if you come up with six, not one of them is active on the forums (to the extent you are)

They are stuck in the turning lane, not one of them is mixing traditional with technology and turning heads with titanium..

(There are exceptions like Tai and The Treasure)

When potential clients visit Bladeforums they search makers of interest..

They search your post history.

They drink a redbull and spend six hours reading everything you have written for the last ten years.

When I search your post history I can see you are a Winner.

It makes me want to purchase your products and be associated with what you are doing..

My Clients do not want to Hear Labor Pains they just want to See the Baby..

My Clients have their own unique and individual problems and my job is to brighten their lives with a positive exchange followed by a positive experience followed by positive memories resulting in a positive bank account..

Have a great evening..
Mike, you are too kind, man!

I never understood why more makers aren't on these forums. Good fun, good folks, good up to date info. Learnin and sharin. See, I learned about iodine poison, from shrimp. I Need to try that! :D

I like what you're doin, bro!

Much respect from Missouri.

Another huge reason it's worth it...

The other knifemakers. By and large, in my life I've never met a group of people who are more willing to share their knowledge, take time to talk to you and encourage you to follow your dream.

Most knifemakers whether they be stock removal or forgers are artist types, independent thinkers, innovators, non-judgmental. I'm developing friendships with several makers that I believe will last a lifetime.

It was the drive to make a knife that got me started, it was the other makers here and those I met in person thT helped me make it a reality!

A person who can shadow me around the shop and pick up stuff I can't, empty chips, muck sumps etc, package parts and not break stuff $8.00/hr

A person who can do the above, and load parts into fixtures and press the green button without screwing up parts $10/hr

The above and can read prints and measure stuff, load and touch off tooling and fixtures and recognize small problems before they're big problems $12-$16/hr

But, what I need is a person who can help with quotes, select and purchase materials and cutters, develop good gcode in CAM from STEP files without supervision, and run machining centers without supervision. In an efficient manner and without breaking expensive things. And come in every day, without drama and substance abuse problems. $20-$25?hr[/I]?

Hey Nathan, I do all that and can pass a drug test without studying for it. But before I make any commitments, a few questions first. When is pay day and can I get an advance. What time are the breaks and lunch and how long do I get. I would have to be late on Mondays. Wednesdays and Fridays I would have to leave early , say around noonish. Tuesdays and Thurdays I could there by 10 a.m. and leave around 2 P.M. Weekends I can't work at all. And last but least, Do I get Time and a half for over time.
If all this is good with you. When do I start?

I've already posted here, but I was just thinking of some things.

There have been times where I couldn't have provided for my family if it werent for knifemaking. My job pays me every two weeks. Too much month, not enough money. Bills due today, paycheck isn't until 6 days.

My stepdaughter had a birthday last week. The week before that, we were sweating on whether or not we could make her birthday as special as we wanted to. There were so many bills, and my paycheck was just enough to cover them.

Someone in the world liked my piece of A-2 tool steel and kydex enough to help me provide her with a great birthday. I took charge and got paid on the day I wanted to.

Knifemaking is currently saving my life in so many ways, financially and otherwise. It's a blessing.

Is it worth it? You're damn right.

Hey Nathan,... how much would you pay for a guy to come sit in your office for a couple hours a day,... drink beer, smoke cigarettes and tell you how to make more money, when, where and why? ;) LOL

Gosh, that's a tough one... you know, I'd probably feel bad about really working somebody your age, I'd keep jumping up and opening doors for you etc... :p

Hey Nathan, I do all that and can pass a drug test without studying for it. But before I make any commitments, a few questions first. When is pay day and can I get an advance. What time are the breaks and lunch and how long do I get. I would have to be late on Mondays. Wednesdays and Fridays I would have to leave early , say around noonish. Tuesdays and Thurdays I could there by 10 a.m. and leave around 2 P.M. Weekends I can't work at all. And last but least, Do I get Time and a half for over time.
If all this is good with you. When do I start?

Oh my lord...

You can start tomorrow. :D

BTW, I didn't say anything about passing a drug test, I said substance abuse problem... Do you think Tai could actually pass a drug test? :D

Oh my lord...

You can start tomorrow. :D

BTW, I didn't say anything about passing a drug test, I said substance abuse problem... Do you think Tai could actually pass a drug test? :D

Oh , I forgot to mention I would need to work a 2 week notice at my current job. After I get off my 3 month paid medical leave (work related stress).

So substance abuse is ok as long as it is not a problem?:D

Sure Tai could pass the drug test, He's a pretty smart guy.;)

And knifemaking is worth it.

40-hour weeks for a living wage are a thing of the past. Period.

Let's not forget the bumps in the road; stuff happens. I spent the better part of today making sure a client actually received what I sent him, due to a shipping "oops". We cleared it up, the client is ecstatic, I got paid and he has exactly what he ordered. He also started a GB&U thread saying Terrio Knives delivers.

I doubt a person could buy that kind of marketing.

.......Knifemaking is currently saving my life in so many ways, financially and otherwise. It's a blessing.

Is it worth it? You're damn right.

Same here brother, when my second child was born last year my wife wanted to quit her job and raise our kids.
I had been making knives for about 7 months at that point! Kinda scary!
I have a full time job and then I come home and work another 3-4hrs at night and most of the day saturday. I do it because I love my family and like making knives. So far I have be incredibly blessed to have people wanting to buy my knives.

I will always make knives, If I am blessed I will continue to make money doing it!

I have no idea whether making knives is worth it. It's just what I do.
Tell you what I like about it, though.
First, it's so thrilling when you bring something into the world that- how do I say it?- wanted to be made. I look at the pile of scraps and the dust and the uncut blade steel and the handle wood, then I look at the knife and it's like a little miracle. It makes me happy.
Second, what it does for other people. Every time I hear someone say how great it is to have a handmade knife that is the one they reach for whenever they need to cut something, whether it's food or tape, it's not so much an ego trip as that I'm glad to have a skill that makes life better for folks.
Third, the craftsmen. Just look back through this forum: any question you might have, if you can get the search terms right you'll get detailed advice from smart, experienced makers- guys who have really done their homework. That's priceless. And when you meet them, most can't wait to help with whatever is bugging you, to do what they can to bump you up to the next level.
Fourth, though not least important, I'm always trading a knife for something great- we just had an open house catered by the local barbecue wizards for my son who is on his way to Afghanistan- knife making paid for that. After playing guitar since childhood I just recently took up dobro- traded knives for a wood one and a metal one. How cool is that?
I personally don't depend on knifemaking for my whole income- Most of my time goes toward supplying my hometown with handmade decorative and practical steel and aluminum work- but knife making is different and so very satisfying.
Just do what you love and enjoy!
Every day is priceless.
Andy G.
Guemes Island, WA

40-hour weeks for a living wage are a thing of the past. Period.

Let's not forget the bumps in the road; stuff happens. I spent the better part of today making sure a client actually received what I sent him, due to a shipping "oops". We cleared it up, the client is ecstatic, I got paid and he has exactly what he ordered. He also started a GB&U thread saying Terrio Knives delivers.

I doubt a person could buy that kind of marketing.

Thats Outstanding..
You have an incredible attitude.. Good Stuff.
I am proud of you dude.. Posting that link to the GB&U is a very smart political move.
Huge Respect.. Stay Safe in the Shop..

Wow, over 100 posts....just to say - "Not if you want to make money at it."

Not really. Plenty of posts that challenge that. I'm a low man on the knifemaker totem pole and make alright money doing it. If that became the only source of income I had, I could support a simple lifestyle for myself if needed.

Been considering getting into knife making for a while now. I'm wondering what you knife makers think about this? Is it a good idea? Is it a profitable business? I would have to invest time and money to get it started so I need advice. If I had the money I could simply try it out, but I don't.

Thanks in advance.

It is very bad idea..
Here is why..

The people you will be competing with are all Crazy as bed bugs.. Type A Personality x 100..
These people are passionate.. Something in their dna tells them "take steel and create weapons with your hands"
They just follow the calling and do what they are put here to do, to create..
They dont quit working at 5 o clock.. They dont quit working when they cut themselves..
They dont quit working when they break their finger..
They dont quit working when their is ice in their water bucket.
They eat, breathe and sleep Knives...........

Can you imagine working as a Mechanic at the Mercedes Dealership and at 5pm you go home.
In the morning when you come to work the other mechanic is still there.. He never went home..
He finished twice the work you did.. He just drank a redbull and now he is laughing at you..
Your boss is pissed because your co-worker is twice as productive as you..

The boss loves this guy because he works all night for free,,

You ask your co-worker why he works all night for free and he looks at you like your the crazy one.
He tells you that he loves what he does and would gladly work more if there were simply more hours in the day.
He explains to you that his life long dream was to be a "mechanic" and when he was five years old he was working on lawnmower engines.

How do you compete with someone like that??

This describes about 85% of the knifemakers out there.. It is hard to compete with someone who is crazy..

You have to be Born into it, not Sworn into it..
compactreactor9.jpg

Snody, I wish I had 1500$ to use as a photo prop. :(
If I did, I'd buy a surface grinder and use 1$ instead.
Of course it might to appeal to the same crowd. ;)

Patrice Lemée;10835034 said:
Snody, I wish I had 1500$ to use as a photo prop. :(
If I did, I'd buy a surface grinder and use 1$ instead.
Of course it might to appeal to the same crowd. ;)

Thanks Friend..

I appreciate you taking time to post..

$1,500.00 is just Blue on Black down here in Texas..

[youtube]JIuUQ3dViFQ[/youtube]
goldddd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back