Is Redwing the CRK of boots?

Coming from someone that wore Red Wing Pecos boots throughout most of my younger years, these days I find USA made Danners provide me more comfort and support than most work boots including Red Wings. I'm wearing some Danner Bull Run boots today which are one of my favorites. I really like the Iron Rangers though for a casual boot as well as the similar Chippewa Service boots.

When it comes to hiking/hunting boots however I do really like some German (Meindl, Hanwag, Lowa) and Italian (Alico, Zamberlan) boots but also wear Chippewa snake boots, White's Elk Guide packer boots and various Muck boots.

USA made Heritage line boots are very nice but will be around $250 or so and can be resolved, their more commonly found Chinese made Red Wings are no better than anything else. Whites and Nicks are both a big step up in quality and more or less made to fit but are also double the price, $500 or so.

For working in underground mines the company supplies boots but we have some flexibility in choosing brands and models that fit and are most comfortable. In the USA it's Matterhorn. My Aussie pair is made by Oliver. These are both the Shun of boots - specialized, more expensive than ordinary products, and worth it.

Just picked up some capped-toe workboots for around the shop and above-ground work sites. They are from Wolverine. One job done and no complaints yet. You could say Wolverine is the Spyderco of boots - not cheap, not perfect, but workable.

Danner boots, my only choice for hiking. The Great Eastern of Boots - expensive, but if they fit your style nothing else will do.

I've done many jobs wearing Brahma boots from Wal Mart. Functional, durable enough, and affordable to anyone - the Buck knives of boots. :)

I like Danner also but haven't tried out to many others.

No that would be Whites. Whites are the CRK of boots where as Red Wings are the 25$ pocket knives down at your local Town Pump. I have to wear Red Wings 8 hours a day for my job and they suck! Can't really switch cause BNSF Railway who i work for says most other boot brands are "not approved". I would recommend Whites. The only reason I don't wear whites is cause BNSF pays for new boots every year and I'm not about to drop 4 to 5 hundred dollars on work boots. That's the price of a CRK Sebenza!

Thanks for all the reply guys! I guess I have a little research to do.

Yep, as with anything there are tons of options out there of which most have no idea until they really start looking. But the beauty of the internet is that you do have the ability of getting them once you know where to go. It just all depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay.

The internet does offer some vast boot shopping choices and deals but I would highly caution one about purchasing quality footwear without trying them on in person. I've made that mistake... A couple times. Unless you know the boot and have worn it already I'd recommend to go find a store they sell them at and try them out.

The internet does offer some vast boot shopping choices and deals but I would highly caution one about purchasing quality footwear without trying them on in person. I've made that mistake... A couple times. Unless you know the boot and have worn it already I'd recommend to go find a store they sell them at and try them out.

Oh without a doubt it's not the ideal situation. It can certainly be risky, but there are things you can do to minimize the risk. I've been extremely fortunate, but I've also done a lot of research, stayed away from trickier Lasts, probably have an average foot, and taken more risks when returns were possible, enlisted support from retailers based upon sizing comparisons with other known Lasts, enlisted assistant from other users, and tried on shoes or boots in the same Lasts whenever humanly possible. There are ways to go about this which will make it less risky, but there are no guarantees. For me given my location I would never have been able to access the kind of shoes and boots I now own without the internet.

Yeah, with my feet, if I'm going to spend that much on a shoe/boot, I need to actually have it fit before I buy it.

This is the problem I usually get into with my personality, the more I start to learn about a type of gear, the more "important things" start to matter to me, and I end up spending a lot more than I expected for things that I "need" but that I don't really need (if that makes sense). Shoes/boots might actually be the exception for me, because of how hard it is for me to find footwear that actually fits properly, and because of how long footwear can last when properly cared for. That's sort of why I wanted to find the "Sebenza of boots" so that I could just have a brand picked for me and then I could go about finding the model and size that I like and that fits and not have to worry about the value/quality.

That being said, of the many brands mentioned in this thread, are there any that specialize in wider feet? or do all the brands usually have a full range of lasts?

I've had pairs of Redwing boots for probably the last 15-20ys (1 pair a year) due to a shoe voucher program supplied out of an American auto manufacturer plant. My experience with them has been generally good for the most part. The stipulations to the voucher was any boot purchased had to be one of their American made boots.

In the beginning, I remember the boots lasting a lot longer than they used too. I've had pairs from mid cut work boots all the way to their "cowboy" style boots. From no insulated all the way to gortex lined and insulated. It seems in the last 5yrs or so, their boots just aren't lasting like they used to. Mainly sole blowouts at where your toe bends and some stitching problems that I don't ever remember having before. I've got pairs from 12yrs ago that all I do is keep mink oil on, but also pairs that are two or three years old which are basically useless.

My line of work has changed in that time. I've gone from more construction type work, to now landscaping where we do a lot more walking, digging and filling in trenches for irrigation, and climbing in and out of bobcats. So it may be that I'm just harder on my boots now than I used to be, but I find that for what I do now, buying a couple pairs of Merrels a year seems to be better for me and a lot more comfortable on my feet.

Just my experience, for what it's worth....but I assure you, I've had a TON of RedWing boots and experienced more than I can remember. Even when I didn't need a new pair.

Yeah, with my feet, if I'm going to spend that much on a shoe/boot, I need to actually have it fit before I buy it.

This is the problem I usually get into with my personality, the more I start to learn about a type of gear, the more "important things" start to matter to me, and I end up spending a lot more than I expected for things that I "need" but that I don't really need (if that makes sense). Shoes/boots might actually be the exception for me, because of how hard it is for me to find footwear that actually fits properly, and because of how long footwear can last when properly cared for. That's sort of why I wanted to find the "Sebenza of boots" so that I could just have a brand picked for me and then I could go about finding the model and size that I like and that fits and not have to worry about the value/quality.

That being said, of the many brands mentioned in this thread, are there any that specialize in wider feet? or do all the brands usually have a full range of lasts?

Most shoemakers will have a couple of different Lasts and some will be wider than others. However depending on how wide your foot is you may need to look at shoemakers which offer different widths as well and there are some who don't do that. Maybe if you were to state what width you normally take this would help, but you could also visit a couple of these brands websites fairly quick to see if they offer various widths.

The danner 850 and 851 lasts have a wider forefoot for a given size. A lot of their hiking and uniform boots use this, but their more traditional stitch down models do run quite narrow. Of course they are available in wide sizing also.

I think with all the helpful suggestions and brands that you guys have given me, I'll just start looking at each brand's offerings and then try to find local retailers where I can go try some on. Thanks for all the help!

i reckon the red wing 607 or 3507 have no equal as general work boots. the one-piece aztec sole is the best there is. the black star leather can be shined for office use. they're not for hiking. they're work boots.

I went through this phase of learning about boots myself. I too thought Redwings were automatically the best. Then I started reading all the very uneven reviews, some positive, some stating that Redwings were no longer what they had been in the 1950s and 60s. Danner boots came up a lot as the new current best boot. But the cost is prohibitive in most cases. I settled for another legendary (and reasonably priced) American brand, Chippewa (like Redwings, it receives mixed reviews). but I've been happy with mine. I would also recommend the very reasonably priced Duluth Trading shoes and boots. But anything over $125 is out of my price range.

I was looking for hard toe work boots a year or so ago. There have been threads on the subject here before. I was debating between the "tennis shoe" type and traditional 6" "clod hopper"..... now that is an old term. :D Anyway, the lighter work boots have a shorter break in period, but the soles won't last as long as say your typical Red Wings. I ended up buying 6" Irish Setter which is one of the Red Wing brands and have been pleased. They are comfortable for hard toe boots. I don't wear them all the time. Only wear them when there is a hazard. I just don't like to wear hard toe boots unless I have to for safety's sake (mine).

I will say, I have a pair of red wing "clod hoppers" with the alloy toe and they are definitely a world lighter than steel toes. Fit is good for me so they don't rub either.

I only bought red wings for years, so did my dad. I loved them, in the last 5-8 years or so though I've noticed a drop in quality. I switched to Danners last year and have been very happy. They take a little longer to break in but they're thick, sturdy leather.

Back