Is Spyderco still "better value" than Benchmade?

Good to have an insider's view.
I never claimed to be an insider. These are only a few basic facts; my awareness of it might be limited, but I am aware that what I mentioned is not even close to the actual costs of running a manufacturing business.

Jim

@Skar

Take a look at the cold steel recon 1. Now compare size and materials.

Good point.
I m glad you brought this up. Sometimes I feel like I m getting stereotyped for repeatedly mentioning that Cold Steel is the best knife value on the market today, taking the place of my former favorite, Spyderco, several years ago.
My opinion may be due in part to my losing interest in expensive knives with no increased functionality over well made cheaper knives. Maybe if I had more money. And more interest in increasing my safe queen collection.

I wouldnt call either brand a value anymore. they both make good stuff, but ya pay top dollar for it. I got many of both and like them, but I've moved away to other brands who offer value at better price points.

Reactions: AF
So I have a different take on the subject. First of all, I do agree with others in this thread that feel Benchmade and Spyderco are basically in the same sphere as far as price point and quality, i.e. Ford vs Chevy comparison. But I think an important point to make is that "value" for the money is not based solely on purchase price. If we make all things equal, for instance if two items both cost $100 and are capable from a quality standpoint of completing the same tasks, some would argue that they offer the same value. However, if I prefer using Item #1 over Item #2 for whatever reason--aesthetics, fit in hand, whatever--and thus carry it 90% of the time, then I'd argue that Item #1 is a vastly superior value. If you divide the price point by the number of times used/carried, there will be a significant numerical difference between the two items in this scenario, and thus Item #1 gives you the better value/bang for your buck. Bottom line is the most important "value" factor might simply be what knife you use/carry the most, regardless of brand or price point (within reason).

I never understood the common argument that it's okay for a company to have bad QC and it's okay to pay a premium for good customer service.

I wouldn't buy a haphazardly built vehicle just because whenever I have to take it into dealership for repairs or recalls, they call me "sir" and have fancier donuts. I'd rather not have to go at all.

I like both brands, I own a few griptilians and two PM2s, but I much prefer ZT for quality and toughness. I do like the fact that spyderco uses many exotic steels that are rarely seen elsewhere (Rex 45, S110v, Maxamet, M4, Cruwear, etc...)

Last edited:
Sal Glesser has talked about the price hikes many times here at bladeforums and at the spyderco forums. No need to have insiders, he IS the insider.[/QUOTE

That "insider" comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, not literal. I admire Glesser for his work ethic, ability to create/build a terrific brand, marketing prowess and innovation.

However, from a value standpoint, it's pretty easy to defend price increases when you are the beneficiary. :)

I never understood the common argument that it's okay for a company to have bad QC and it's okay to pay a premium for good customer service.

I wouldn't buy a haphazardly built vehicle just because whenever I have to take it into dealership for repairs or recalls, they call me "sir" and have fancier donuts. I'd rather not have to go at all.

I think this is why many of us eventually wind up buying CRK knives. Buy once, cry once. Top quality and they will take care of the knife for as long as you own it - and even encourage disassembly.

I still own Spyderco’s but as someone who has been doing this for a long time I sorta liken the SPYDERCO/Benchmade and similar knives as a “gateway drug” that will eventually lead you to a Sebbie, ‘Zaan or even a Shiro

Yes and no. Depends on who you ask.
I'd say they're about dead even in terms of value-what you pay for what you get
I think the rest is going to come down to personal preference.
Also, I believe the differences in the two companies' standard product lines are enough that you might feel a bit ripped off by one and
feel like you got a really good deal from another.

One example that sticks out in my mind: if you love a Griptilian, you may not be too happy about the thin, acute tip of a PM2
On the flip side, if you love a PM2, a Griptilian may not be slicey enough for you.
Both should excel at standard little knife tasks the average guy comes across in a day.

Personally, I've never understood the grave grievances folks have with either company??
I appreciate the designs, manufacturing, and ethos of both companies. Two of my top picks for knife companies for sure.

I think this is why many of us eventually wind up buying CRK knives. Buy once, cry once. Top quality and they will take care of the knife for as long as you own it - and even encourage disassembly.

I still own Spyderco’s but as someone who has been doing this for a long time I sorta liken the SPYDERCO/Benchmade and similar knives as a “gateway drug” that will eventually lead you to a Sebbie, ‘Zaan or even a Shiro
Those are designer drugs man! :D
Most people start on Jarbenzas and get hooked on Spydercos and Benchmades :p

Nah I'm with you, after a few Spydercos you can't help but wonder...what else is there?? That is, if you're a true knife nut!

Those are designer drugs man! :D
Most people start on Jarbenzas and get hooked on Spydercos and Benchmades :p

Nah I'm with you, after a few Spydercos you can't help but wonder...what else is there?? That is, if you're a true knife nut!

Slight derailed but yea that’s its literally what happened to me. My first “truest” was a PM2, i was so god smacked impressed by the quality then a couple days later leads me to my ever first CRK and was even more jaw dropping and then a couple weeks leads me to a Norseman. And now, here we are... ended up with ~30 knives here and there. Like someone said in this forum: you are a new man when you get a knife but then a new man needs a new knife.... in between my knife rush from a PM2 to a CRK, i bought a 940-1 but i wasn’t that impressed with the long protruding screws in the scales so meh on BM.

They're probably fairly equal in value but it's hard to judge objectively. I haven't been interested in Benchmade since the early 2000s. I'm still a fan of Spyderco but there aren't many I feel compelled to buy. I like Cold Steel for their "improved backlock" and lower pricing. It's true that some of their line is now at MAP and not a great value. For liner/frame locks I go with WE. I don't really like the Axis lock or the Compression lock. The Ball lock is okay. Backlocks and liner/frame locks are my preference.
Honestly none of these companies really give me a warm and fuzzy anymore. But that's okay. I have a pretty mature collection and I'm enjoying what I have; customizing, fondling, carrying, using and sharpening. There's a high bar for a new knife acquisition.

Agreed.

Spyderco earned its current reputation for me 7-12 years ago. This was when S30V became standard, and you could get absolutely fantastic models like the Manix, PM2 and Gayle Bradley for around $120. And funky stuff like the ethnic series, Jot Singh Khalsa, Poliwog, Superleaf, etc. Back then Taichung models were a well-kept secret that many people turned their nose up on. My GB1 and Domino actually killed CRK for me, because they were $130/$150 and just as magical. Now their products have risen in price, they are marginally less of a steal. I understand and support Mr. Glesser's decisions, but this just means I'll buy 2 a year instead of 7.

Benchmade for me always has had excellent designs and ideas, but I'd want for each $50 cheaper. It's kind of disappointing when I buy a new Bugout with horizontal blade-play and the answer I get is, " Ohh that's inherent to the lock type. You can't have straight drop shut and no play." Or when people defend the company, even while admitting we are a miniscule part of their customer base. Or saying good customer service makes up for QC flaws, when we should aim for no flaws at all. That's like saying it's okay to be careless, because at least your band-aid is comfortable and nice when you need to stop the bleeding.

Moral of the story is: Go hunt down a GB1. I was stupid to trade mine.

I don't think either brands are better value knives anymore relative to alternative brands. But if you want a Spyderco or. Benchmade you should expect to pay the asking price or try to find them o. The used market.

I will always be a Spyderco fan because I like the hole and it was Spyderco that got me into one handed manual knives. Spyderco’s higher end knives have simply gotten too expensive for me. The thing that really bugged me was seeing Enduras and Delicas over $100 because they have glowing handles. I never thought of the FRN models like the Delica, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Native, Para 3, as cheap, but I always saw them as affordable. These knives are still not super expensive, but they are no longer great value seven though they are all very good knives. Now that Benchmade has stopped MAP pricing, their Grivory handled models are very competitive with Spyderco. A Mini Bugout or Mini Griptillian is a very attractive alternative to Spyderco knives like a Para 3, Native, or Delica. Finally, I say that Kershaw is now my favorite value brand. Now that Illinois is auto legal, I find a knife like the Launch 11 is very hard to beat. Even some of the ZT models or the new “axis lock” Hogue knives are better values than Spyderco or Benchmade.

So does anyone have any recommendations for good value knives in the 100-200 dollar range other than cold steel?

Back