Is Spyderco still "better value" than Benchmade?

Not sure which CR and Millie you are looking at but the G10 S30V Cooked River is only about $16 more than the G10 satin S30V Military, according to BladeHQ.

I checked Knifeworks as BHQ had some issues in the past shipping to me but they are out of stock on the G10 CR in any case.

$149 vs $192.

Last edited:
Must be a Covid thing, any other time folks would buy a Spydie and a BM simultaneously just because and the phrase "value for money" was once considered hate speech here.

No that is wrong. spyderco military doesn't sell at that low price of 149 dollars.

Its not. The CR was, but I do see I made a miscalculation and the new price is as you mentioned above the Military. So another Military it would be in my future.

wish we could still get the 710.

Last edited:
I've always been afraid to use expensive spydercos cause their warranty is very much in their favor instead of the customer. Which is completely justified as if you use something and the breakage is your fault should be on you and your dime. But, there are companies like Benchmade and busse (think zt too) that if something breaks they'll fix it or replace without hassle or fix for small free. Which is fanfrickintastic. Benchmades warranty is 95% no matter what happens Benchmade will make sure your a happy customer. Buy a $200-500 knife and using it getting it fixed up for free or a small fee is a big deal,to me. If spyderco had same warranty I'd have more spydercos. Tho honestly not fan of huge holes in blades from any companies designs. Spyderco no doubt makes some fine knives tho. As does benchmade, and I've never had a problem with a benchmade I blamed on quality control from them new right out of box that didn't just need slight readjustment. 75% folders own are benchmades.

As someone else said in thread I also think benchmades are better long term value if are using them. Benchmade been extremely good for me.

Its not. The CR is.

Sorry I misread your original post. I thought you meant benchmade CR is $50 more than Spyderco Military. Now I see you meant the other way. The price of the g10 CR $149 was a discounted one due to discontinuation. When Spyderco discontinues knives, dealers also give big discounts.

The regular production s30v Military at $192 is not a good value (to me), again because most limited runs are about the same price while using better steels like Rex45 and M4. But I won't buy a g10 s30v CR at $200+ either.

I have quite a few knives from both companies although more older than newer stuff. Both are a somewhat lesser value to me than they were a handful of years back, as their prices have risen quite a bit faster than inflation, and even local dealers you have known for years that give their frequent customers a few bucks back can't reduce prices in the way they once could. That said, they certainly aren't a bad value. They both build great knives (mine are consistently well made with good fit and finishes) and both companies have provided me with some of the finest service and care that I could ever ask for (especially Benchmade...Benchmade is really great and they go above and beyond for their customers). They both do their own unique things, too...BM has Balis, Gold Class, and a nice range of autos, and Spyderco isn't scared to venture towards more experimental (and likely relatively lower volume) designs/configurations (that are largely for us big time enthusiasts), facilitate some incredible collaborations to give us access to designs from custom makers at a production price, and will give us just about any steel us customers want to see. If someone is looking for a good knife at a semi-reasonable price that the company will stand behind for years (heck...decades), I can highly recommend both.

Now, simultaneously, both companies are also making production folders with MSRPs approaching/higher than that of the Sebenza and that is something I've personally struggled to justify.

Isn't much of the Spydercos production outsourced to asia? thus its average value is skewed cheaper then Benchmade. But then Benchmade is situated in Portland, donates money to marxists and cuts up freedom.. so whatever I guess.

Isn't much of the Spydercos production outsourced to asia? thus its average value is skewed cheaper then Benchmade. But then Benchmade is situated in Portland, donates money to marxists and cuts up freedom.. so whatever I guess.

Not this again... You guys are just hilarious.

Back