Is the 5 going away?

I do a lot of reading and very little posting, but recently I've seen a couple of different people saying the 5 and/or 15 is going to be discontinued. Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to these rumors? I have the 15 and love it, but the 5 was on down the wish list behind some other knives I want. If it really won't be available much longer I'd hate to miss out. I guess the obvious answer is get two just in case. But I'm trying to be a responsible adult and you guys make that hard sometimes. ;)

Thanks in advance,
Joseph

The snark answer is "Yes, everything goes away. Eventually."

The non-snark answer is "Who knows?"

Nothing has been officially, semi-officially or Gab-around-the-water-cooler said. Just the posts you referred to. So until Official Kabar says it in the Kabar sub-forum or on the Kabar spacebook page or on Kabar.com, it's all rumor, idle speculation and gossiping. And if you did miss out somehow, they will still be showing up on fleabay for years. That's how I got most of my Camillus and Blackjack versions, as they were discontinued for many years before I ever even heard of Becker knives.

And being a responsible adult is way over-rated. :D I know, cause I've been one of those "very responsible adults" for way too long, and I don't even have a wife or kids to be responsible to/for. Maybe because I was TOO responsible. :D:D Though short, fat and bald contributed to that condition as well, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Sadly it's true. But luckily there are plenty already made and should be available for a very long time at the current rate of how many are being sold.

They just do not sell as good as the rest of the lineup. It's a shame cause it's such a great knife.

There's no controversy or "idle speculation". It's really very simple. They're just not selling very well.

BK-5's and BK-15's are available right now. Buy 'em if you want 'em.

If enough people buy 'em, Ka-Bar will make more. That's just how this whole supply/demand capitalism thang works... ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like the 5 just cut to the front of the line. Guess I oughta get another 15 too while it's still available.

I picked two each just in case they go down the road like so many knives do.!*
Like the old saying goes: ~~ Better to be safe than sorry.*

So, is it the 5 and the 15? Or just the 5?

Speculating that it will be both. Seems like more folks want knives for killing zombies or chopping trees than something that excels at daily camp tasks.

We would frequently see this gear-buying attitude when I worked at an outdoor retail store; folks buying products for that 1% situation rather than what they would be doing for 99% of the time.

Ok, all I'm saying is get a 5 and a 15. The slicey blades are perfect for most camping and hiking situations, while still being able to handle any other "more robust" tasks.

I'm glad I stopped in to see this thread. I need to buy one soon I guess.
Great knife. I can't imagine why it doesn't sell better.

I already have a 5 and I will buy a 15.. It did just moved up the list.

I guess it's time to grab a 5 again! I sold mine a few years ago and have intended to get one again for a while. My 15s are some of my favorite knives I've ever owned.

Ok, since the 5 is getting dropped from production, would it be safe to say that it is to make room on the table for production on the Kukri to start up?

Also following in that same line of questions, since the 15 is dropping as well, are there some ideas bouncing around for a replacement for that slot?
I mean if a spot at the dinner table opens, you Should fill it, right?

They are my favorite Becker's, I carry a 15 everyday in my pack and have a 5 for outdoor trips. It took a long time for me to see them "in the right light" so to speak. I didn't like the design at all for over a year and one day I realized they are the perfect knife :) I guess I need to grab a back up of each too.

There has been no official announcement and I will not make it here and now....... It is no secret that two of the best knives in the Becker line have been mediocre sellers.......

I cannot tell you how sad this makes me as I love the Five and I like the Fifteen a lot...... If for no other reason than what a Five can teach you if you try using it for everything for a while....... It is a blade that has a lot of information within it, a lot..... Jerry designed that blade decades ago and it has taught me that If Mr. Fisk croaked tomorrow and I live another fifty years he will still be ahead of me and it will not be close........... If you really spend some time with the Five you will find it quite enlightening....... One of my great joys is to watch a good martial arts guy pick up the Five at a show....you can see the magic happen....... The balance and lightning speed gets 'em every time.........We had a Five only gathering and I think it safe to say that the participants were damned impressed......I know watching it wielded by a bunch of folks was very interesting......... It is a GREAT knife....... Get 'em while we got 'em.......

E

I've been on the fence for months. This thread convinced me to pull the trigger on a 5. My brother loves his for his barbeque, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Back