Recommendation? Is this legit?

Enjoy it as a dispay piece and save up for a big Condor Machete/Sword or a Cold Steel Sword and whack that around, not as pretty but up to the task.
Honesty thats why I always see people say that their 150$ katana is their beater so to speak. and for me thats my high end XD my beater was like 10$ Haha but im still new to the hobby compared to others.

Honesty thats why I always see people say that their 150$ katana is their beater so to speak. and for me thats my high end XD my beater was like 10$ Haha but im still new to the hobby compared to others.

The thing is can you afford ruining something you like? If you can, just use it. If you can't buy a cheap Machete. :thumbsup:

So I will chime in I believe this sword is not hand forged I would think it is 1060 steel and can be sharpened I am not so sure it has had a proper HT so it might not be too functional. I would say you might could test cut some paper or cardboard on it and see how fast it dulls to test how functional it is if you want functional as in it can actually do some real cutting and not dull after a handful of cuts. I think for something more functional and usable you are going to have to jump up in prices.

So I will chime in I believe this sword is not hand forged I would think it is 1060 steel and can be sharpened I am not so sure it has had a proper HT so it might not be too functional. I would say you might could test cut some paper or cardboard on it and see how fast it dulls to test how functional it is if you want functional as in it can actually do some real cutting and not dull after a handful of cuts. I think for something more functional and usable you are going to have to jump up in prices.
Thank you for the comment :) ya tbh i have some doubts aswell cause im not sure how strict etsy is on their policy of honesty. I have talked to one of the workers there and he has talked to me throughout and the same company does make real clay tempered hamon swords so it is a real forge because identifying a real hamon is pretty easy. He guarntees that all the blades are hand forged as the cheapest one they make is 130$ and i am just hoping he is honest. He got some good reviews tho 34 to be exact and they were all 5 star. He said they oil quench them to but it could be all talk :) lol guess we will find out in a few days XD

The thing is can you afford ruining something you like? If you can, just use it. If you can't buy a cheap Machete. :thumbsup:
amen to that! Even my 60$ musha swords i always am super gentle with lol. like i said the 10$ one is the one i beat off tree limbs XD. Even in 60$ swords i can find beauty and some craftsmanship and it has a wicked edge on it to.

It's not a bad looking sword. IMO if you're going to order something without a real hamon and can get it with none, you should, as fake hamon are obvious. I don't think you got played, take it out and (carefully) try it on a couple gallon jugs full of water. Worse case it reveals its flaws.

Watch whole video. Fast forward to 3:30 to see forged medium and high carbon bar stock being forged on for "battle ready" replica sword use. This is a fantastic video; be sure to observe the excellent hammering form of the hand-forger near the end at 9:30.

I would honestly be one of the last to suggest this but for a budding sam your eye Japanese happy pants type dude I would suggest reading all the threads here.
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/board/57/japanese-swords

Every other thread, spend an hour reading here

https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/

Don't quit after reading the first page of threads, or links but I'll bet dimes to dollars, your enthusiasm is going to blunt your ability to learn the material. For $200, spend on exactly the sword that might speak the most loudly to you. Ignore any other parameter. That will truly be your first lesson.

The next sword will be much more appreciated.

Or, spend the summer reading. What I see time and again are the novice collectors writing a whole lot more than they are reading. So, go ahead and buy anything and then realize that either you are not to continue with the interest, or realize what a lesson that first sword offered.

Cheers
GC

Watch whole video. Fast forward to 3:30 to see forged medium and high carbon bar stock being forged on for "battle ready" replica sword use. This is a fantastic video; be sure to observe the excellent hammering form of the hand-forger near the end at 9:30.
Awesome thanks! I love watching videos of forge masters in japan making tantos and such as it is such craftsmanship

It's not a bad looking sword. IMO if you're going to order something without a real hamon and can get it with none, you should, as fake hamon are obvious. I don't think you got played, take it out and (carefully) try it on a couple gallon jugs full of water. Worse case it reveals its flaws.
I was actually thinking about that before you even said it XD I kinda agree when i think about it more. The only thing is that its a laser etched hamon and not wire brushed so it looks a little more real than a wire brushed but you can still tell :) I like it overall though and i dont really feel it takes away from it. maybe next time though i will skip the laser etched hamon.

I would honestly be one of the last to suggest this but for a budding sam your eye Japanese happy pants type dude I would suggest reading all the threads here.

Don't quit after reading the first page of threads, or links but I'll bet dimes to dollars, your enthusiasm is going to blunt your ability to learn the material. For $200, spend on exactly the sword that might speak the most loudly to you. Ignore any other parameter. That will truly be your first lesson.

Or, spend the summer reading. What I see time and again are the novice collectors writing a whole lot more than they are reading. So, go ahead and buy anything and then realize that either you are not to continue with the interest, or realize what a lesson that first sword offered.

Cheers
GC
Much appreciated :) thank you. I try to ask a good amount of questions and usually only write on stuff i have read on before. I have read about 1045 and 1060 1095 etc but i have yet to read about spring steels or traditional japanese steel

Cheers
GC
How would enthusiasm blunt ability to learn steel types? could you explain a bit for me please. Yes i also have been studying japanese for like 6 months now

How would enthusiasm blunt ability to learn steel types? could you explain a bit for me please. Yes i also have been studying japanese for like 6 months now

Look, you have already proven yourself more ready to lecture than learn, so your apparent ignorance will only shine brighter.

Look, you have already proven yourself more ready to lecture than learn, so your apparent ignorance will only shine brighter.
Ignorance? XD I have tried my best not to lecture. I only state things I have heard so feel free to correct me in a kind tone.

Cheers
GC

Cheers
GC
Thank you again. I have starting reading some of the posts. I am trying to get farmiliar with different types of steels as i only know about carbon and not spring or tool. For 200$ it is difficult to get anything super fancy.

Back