It followed me home (Part 2)

they still make those out of ash here, and most of them cheap too! What You can do with the Old handle: Get some black sealer kitt and fill in the cracks with it. Obviously not the best, but it Will hold. Better tip would Be sacrificing the end of the handle (2"). Grinding it to rust. Get the Wood glue out, fill in the gaps, leave it to dry an get de Wooddust over it. Just apply oils once It's settled.

I appreciate the tips on salvaging the handle Kevin. I want to say that I'mSoSharp did something to that effect on a handle that he had posted here. I'm thinking the bigger issue is that the handle itself doesn't adequately fill the cant hook's head. There is a little over 1/2" of space around the whole thing that was wrapped in flashing to hold it in there. It might work well on a different tool though once it's filled and set.

What dimensions are you looking for? length? Diameter? I get that stuff for about $2,50 in a length of 150cm (roughly 5 feet). But any length or diameter is possible for under $10,--

Kevin, the ones I've used where on 5-6' handles and that seemed fine for the size of logs I was moving. I will probably try a piece of wood I have here that's about 5.5-6'. I imagine situations where you would want a long one to keep you away from the work but realistically - I'm not a logger, just play one any chance I get.

Did you take it apart? Ran across this in a 1937 Warren Axe & Tool Co catalog scan:

Bob

You know, I haven't done anything to it just yet. It probably unscrews like Jake mentioned but I don't have a replacement ferrule lined up. I'm also thinking if it is threaded in there I will probably strip the wood out that is holding it fast?

Maybe one of you guys might have a bodging tip for me?

You know, I haven't done anything to it just yet. It probably unscrews like Jake mentioned but I don't have a replacement ferrule lined up. I'm also thinking if it is threaded in there I will probably strip the wood out that is holding it fast?

Agent_H,if the wood is in any degree dry,it'll probably unscrew quite easy...(remember,the wood is trapped in there inside that pipe,and the inevitable water-caused expansion has long ago crushed the wood-fibres,exceeding their MOE by far...

In my experience(i've forged a few dozen),a sawn section of copper pipe makes for a nice ferrule...kinda decorative,and that Cu oxide keeps the bacteria away from the wood...But,in practical term,a few wraps of bailing wire will outlast most materials/methods....(MOST annoyingly!:)

Agent_H,if the wood is in any degree dry,it'll probably unscrew quite easy...(remember,the wood is trapped in there inside that pipe,and the inevitable water-caused expansion has long ago crushed the wood-fibres,exceeding their MOE by far...

In my experience(i've forged a few dozen),a sawn section of copper pipe makes for a nice ferrule...kinda decorative,and that Cu oxide keeps the bacteria away from the wood...But,in practical term,a few wraps of bailing wire will outlast most materials/methods....(MOST annoyingly!:)
I like that, and the anti-rot properties do make sense! On a few 'beaten badly' wood handled chisels I've used a hole saw to shape the top of the handle and then smacked on a 'ferrule' of copper or brass sawed-up pipe, coupling or plumbing cap.

Wow JB. You know your finds are a bit overwhelming to take in. You need something like "panorama" or wide angle lenses to get it all in one picture!

I'm not sure at what level a guy becomes a "Master Picker" but what you have going on isn't anything like I have seen in pictures or even person.

Jake, I like the copper idea. I was also eye-balling some of the dead garden tools that seem to self-propagate here that the ferrule would be about the only good thing left on them.

I did stop back by the same place this morning for a couple of things.
This is what I like to see around here for good old stuff.
Finding Stuff by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

12" logging tongs/grapples (I pass these up quite often), Atkins Silver Steel and Nicholson files, and a Kelly Perfect hammer. I also bought a large Quaker-looking flush-mount hand-made bird cage for my wife and something spooky to have sitting in the backseat when I pick my daughter up from the Grandparents here shortly. That is going to be more fun for me than her, I am sure - builds character, right?
*I realize there are no axes... A couple of posts above this one you can see Magneto pulled them all East!

Last edited:
BamaDADx3, I hope you don't mind me rehosting your picture - I can't get Instagram to give up a link that works in our forums.

ICE2Um2.jpg

BamaDADx3, I hope you don't mind me rehosting your picture - I can't get Instagram to give up a link that works in our forums.

ICE2Um2.jpg
Not a bit!!! I cant get pics to show up for nothing. Tried IMGUR and it don't work either. It looks like Flicker will be the next try.

This followed me home.

I miss @quinton 's pics and wood stories. There, I said it.

Nice find, I have been looking for one myself.

Bob

Ok, I'll be honest and say I thought those deals were some sort of cast iron pan lid lifters, or attached to something to lift the cast iron plugs (blanking?) off of wood burning stoves...

I actually see them frequently but honestly didn't know what they were until now.

Bob, I'll see what I can turn up this week.

CastIronFile by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr
Bob, It took longer than I thought.

Interesting that they are hidden/mixed in with the blanking lifters every time and no one can tell me what they are. Even old junk-savvy hoarders.

Back