It followed me home (Part 2)

I was out Christmas stocking stuffers shopping this morning...

20171218_124910.jpg

20171218_124918.jpg

The two Connies each, have total weights of 4&1/8 lb. Roughly...
The charter oak is stamped 3&1/2, 32 with a 32" handle, the Kelly is 29"

The stamped hatchet weighs in at 2&1/4 total, 16" handle.

Miller you are one lucky man!!! I have never seen a Connie in my area ever... come to think of it I have literally never held one. It is my top pattern to find right now. I wanted a Jersey for about a year and I found one. Hopefully I will get lucky soon. The hunt continues!!

Is there a way to send a private message in this forum? Is talks of trading allowed if there is? Thanks guys. I only ask because I am ignorant to forum guidelines. I know there is not selling for sure.

where are you at? huge swapmeets are the way too go for finding one. i found my FSS plumb california here in virginia
Miller you are one lucky man!!! I have never seen a Connie in my area ever... come to think of it I have literally never held one. It is my top pattern to find right now. I wanted a Jersey for about a year and I found one. Hopefully I will get lucky soon. The hunt continues!!

Is there a way to send a private message in this forum? Is talks of trading allowed if there is? Thanks guys. I only ask because I am ignorant to forum guidelines. I know there is not selling for sure.

Wow... I live in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma! Born and raised. I had a trip to Missouri last year and I could not believe the number of axes I saw in flea markets and antique stores. For some reason I just don’t see many.

Yesterday I went to my usual three stops on the way home looking for axes. I found an axe. Another true temper Kelly double bit like the one I recently posted. But someone had ground about two inches off of one of the heels and left the other alone. There were two actually ground the same way. It was a shame. One had been left outside and the handle was barely holding together. The other handle was okay. After picking it up and feeling it the damn thing was a vintage aftermarket octagon handle. It had some writing in green lettering but it was too far gone to read. So I spoke to the owner of the shops and bought just the handle for $3! I put a nice little keen Kutter head on it. It turned out amazing. The original owner had the head about three inches above the shoulder! There was so much material of the handle above the shoulder it was crazy. The original kerf was at least 6” long. I have never seen a handle like this one but it is amazing. I went back today and looked that worn out handle up and down to see if I could save it also but there is no way. Unfortunate because this is my favorite handle now.

Sorry for the long post but just goes to show ya if the head is too far gone check out the stick!!!

Wow... I live in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma! Born and raised. I had a trip to Missouri last year and I could not believe the number of axes I saw in flea markets and antique stores. For some reason I just don’t see many.
Hmm, I have never stopped in Missouri for more than restroom break (anything east of Denver was waste of my vacation time). I guess I have to slow down a bit. Do you recollect cities in Missouri with those wonderful antique stores and flea markets? Thanks

Last edited:
Mt. Vernon and Lebanon had great ones. The one in Lebanon had the most antique tools in one spot I have ever seen. For an antique mall I mean. But pretty much from Oklahoma to Illinois along I-44 I would say at least 70% of the exits advertise antique malls/flea markets. My wife and I are planning a trip just to go down 44 and stop at them. Who kno s when it will be.

Mt. Vernon and Lebanon had great ones. The one in Lebanon had the most antique tools in one spot I have ever seen. For an antique mall I mean. But pretty much from Oklahoma to Illinois along I-44 I would say at least 70% of the exits advertise antique malls/flea markets. My wife and I are planning a trip just to go down 44 and stop at them. Who kno s when it will be.
Thanks Brian. You've just helped me decide my destination for 2018 road trip: Carson National Forest

Last edited:
Good deal! Glad I could help! Most stops are your typical antique vendor malls. But there are some flea market types too. I bought an old broad axe at the one in Lebanon Missouri for $35. I thought it was a great deal. Some are overly priced but depends on how bad you want it!

Good deal! Glad I could help! Most stops are your typical antique vendor malls. But there are some flea market types too. I bought an old broad axe at the one in Lebanon Missouri for $35. I thought it was a great deal. Some are overly priced but depends on how bad you want it!
cheapest i'v seen'm is $60. for some reason they all have decent handles and arent worn. mostly pennsylvania patterns though, no canadian patterns

nice philly jersey, i had one but i gave it to a friend. BTW from what i know, a philadelfia differs from a kentucky in the bit, a philly has a small toe and a slightly shorter blade
From that description, it sounds like a"philly jersey" could be a worn down Kentucky. Did True Temper actually make a philly jersey?

Does anyone know why it’s stamped with the x?
i dont know if thats a stamp, if there's no other explanation it might have been to differentiate it from other stuff. when i was a scout my parents told me to mark everything i brought with me in case it was stolen or somebody accidentally took it instead of theirs

From that description, it sounds like a"philly jersey" could be a worn down Kentucky. Did True Temper actually make a philly jersey?
i'v found few mentions of the pattern but i definitely had an odd shaped 3 1/2 axe. it had maybe a 1/4" of toe rise and is shorter and broader than my 3 1/2 kentucky. the descriptions seem a little spotty but they seem to bridge the gap between kentuckys, baltimores and virginias.

i'll see if i can find some pictures of it

nope, no good pictures

Last edited:
Back