It followed me home (Part 2)

Wow JB ... nice pickings, you cause rust envy... I hit 2 swap meets today ... saw
one ruined Plumb hatchet (pre-epoxy) ... and, brought home these Case, and Schrade
pocket knives. Unfortunately the Schrade is China. :rolleyes: ...but, is purty.
(the older Schrade leather I bundled in the deal).
Charles

https://imgur.com/a/Rgv03ZR

I know that this will make some of you cry, but I have to show them anyway. I'm selling a couple nice old handles and took the opportunity to look through my buckets full. I probably have 3 times as many nice old handles as I'm showing here, but these are my NFS keepers. They range from 19"-32" with everything in between.

IMG_20180717_143214 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180717_143238 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180717_143252 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
You gonna come to each and every one of our houses and mop up the puddles of tears and drool ?

Looks great! I'd estimate that each belt reduces the speed by around 5 to 1, for a total reduction of around 25 to 1, which would bring the listed speed of the motor (1725 rpm) down to a stone rotation of about 69 rpm.
You were damn close Steve Tall!!! The motor spins 27 times to one revolution of the wheel so that equals 63.8 rpm's. Unbelievably good "guesstimate"!

Well i didn't find any axes today but i did score this!
6gqqo1s.jpg
nI927Js.jpg
2KKdQRs.jpg
21QuTsK.jpg
yyEpQno.jpg
vnxPAyu.jpg
ztweIjQ.jpg
B1wR3fS.jpg
ooking for other Collins items to add to my collection.
It's sandstone so needs an awful lot of pressure to get anywhere. I'll have to make a stick to put in the axe eye and perhaps a two legged seat of some sorts so most of my weight can be on the wheel. The brushes are very good in that old motor and its really quiet. Thanks fer' lookin fellas!

Very clean stone and a well put together piece. That's one sweet grinder!!!!!

Dressing the wheel might make it cut a bit faster.

Does anyone know whether or not this was a kit? To me it looks to clean you be all homemade. Obviously it's possible but i just wondered if at some point you could order a kit.
Phantomknives my guess is that it's around 500 grit as well. With enough pressure it will remove material pretty fast! Whether or not its faster than fresh file remains to be seen.

Homebrew for sure. But well done.

Does anyone know whether or not this was a kit? To me it looks to clean you be all homemade.
Quite sure thats a homebrew. Thats made of signpost "U" channel. Maybe its builder swiped a couple stopsigns or perhaps was made at the Municipal Roadworks Shop.
Great motor. Clean it up, be sure its grounded properly and dont splash too much water on whilst grinding :p.

Back