It followed me home (Part 2)

What is your take on these?
jb.jpg

After reading these posts, my wife and I stopped by an antique dealer. I picked up a early Stanley #240 series mitre box. Without a tag, it's not collectable but it will rehab into a good user. In the among the dozen or so axes, I found a Michigan pattern Craftsman boys axe and a 3 1/2 # Young pattern DB axehead. The DB was a double steel without a maker's stamp. The Craftsman was the best one of them. There was a boys axe with scalloped cheeks . He also had a couple of broad axes, I may go back.

Who is A.A.T. co ? I usually pass on tools that say Craftsman, except maybe older sockets. I find them to be very DIY , but this one had what looked to me, what do I know?, as having a good profile with a cheek swell. It also had a half a Craftsman sticker. The haft had the remains of a Canadian Tire Mastercraft sticker. They can't be too old. The head obligingly fell off.

I have a question about the Young pattern, where is it from?. The axe is 9 1/2" long and a 4 1/2" bit with a 3/4" curve.

American Axe and Tool co. American Axe & Tool Co. As for the young pattern, I don't know. I'd never even heard of one until your post. I found one on a Kelly axe pattern chart and nowhere else. That, to me, would make me say it's probably a Kelly.

:D:D, that's where I got it from too. Anyway, it's good representation of the shape. I love tracking down the makers of old tools, but I couldn't even find a trace of a stamp. I would have thought somebody like Kelly would have stamped it. It does have a healthy 2" of high carbon steel.

Why such a deep curve ? I measured my Hulks Bruk and it's one half as much. The DB is well hardened, it going to be tough on files, so I think the curve of the bit is factory.

I picked up a 40oz Plumb ball peen hammer, a 3lb Kelly Rockaway ("Kelly's Flint Edge - no True Temper stamp ), a 4lb Plumb rafting (finally), Kelly FE Connie (also finally), an old knob end haft for the pattern, and an unmarked 44" perforated lance crosscut saw over the past couple weeks. I'll try to get photos up.

Back