It followed me home (Part 2)

Lord,YES.
What a beautiful piece of steel,nice and Thick,and all that work to've taper-ground it...So many years later it still spells "Respect" for craftsmanship and material,for this is what it is,made manifest...
That "cast steel" production just even by itself...Guys cooking up these micro-batches of really good quality steel,couple quarts at a time,in equally hand-made clay crucibles...It's WAY cool.

I know it's unrelated to this forum, but this followed me home from the post office today.

1970's-mid 80's Husky 3/8 set, manufactured before Litton industries sold New Britain to Stanley.
The ratchet and 6" extensions are later replacements, but the ratchet which is unused is really well made and has an interesting mechanism.
45 teeth is pretty decent, it just needs to be broken in since it's still a bit stiff with some lube.
Overall everything is in great condition and will be an excellent user set.

Around here,there is little market for old mechanics tools, unlike woodworking tools or axes, so the price versus the quality ratio is excellent. I find the only names the fleamarket dealers know are Craftsmen and Snap-on so names like S-K, Herbrand, Williams, ETF, and Armstrong go cheap. These names are considered equal or better quality than those first two names. The secondary brands of the companies are really cheap.

I love estate sales! $100 for everything in the pic and $83 of that was for the saws! I'll clean up and post the axes later today, I hope.
IMG-3083.jpg

Around here,there is little market for old mechanics tools, unlike woodworking tools or axes, so the price versus the quality ratio is excellent. I find the only names the fleamarket dealers know are Craftsmen and Snap-on so names like S-K, Herbrand, Williams, ETF, and Armstrong go cheap. These names are considered equal or better quality than those first two names. The secondary brands of the companies are really cheap.
Definitely.
And brands like Kal / Proamerica, Thorsen, Easco, Wright, New Britain, Duro chrome / indestro , and even Plomb / Proto are brands that you can often get much cheaper than the most well known brands.

I've found that Craftsman generally sells high because everyone and his brother knows the name.
The more basic socket sets are generally not too bad, but wrench sets forget it.

I love estate sales! $100 for everything in the pic and $83 of that was for the saws! I'll clean up and post the axes later today, I hope.
IMG-3083.jpg

Great haul A17! Is there a nice big drawknife under there, no handles, next to a cruiser maybe? I love your score...looking forward to seeing what you uncover man!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Just passed on this Disston miter saw at a garage sale... they were asking $200.
It was nice but top dollar for sure.
D1-EA6-EA4-C631-4-EFE-B553-DA2-BB6-CD6717.jpg

446-C441-C-236-A-40-B0-B550-C6-F82-A175963.jpg

34905636-3-DBF-49-BA-B2-BC-608183-F69-F7-D.jpg

Usually that happens to me...they see my smile before I get out of the truck and BAM! prices go dbl/triple on me lol!!
That is a real beauty and I would have painfully walked away too:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Was the $200 after a little haggling or did they have their stuff all tagged?:(

Heck yeah. Old, and apparently new again, SK sockets are awesome. Their slipjoints are my favorite, as well. I have some contemporary Wright and Armstrong ratchets that are beautiful.

Back