It followed me home (Part 2)

I just received this beautiful 28” Warren Old Faithful with a 1942 stamp that was expertly restored from @Blue Sasquatch.

I’m going to give it to a friend as a gift, to make up for my deficiencies in our relationship.
n48Gc4t.jpg

phwAho5.jpg

4QiIPRV.jpg

Ct30AxA.jpg

L5PI9nK.jpg

G7ZNlTi.jpg

hVibVAP.jpg

The last axe I got “for him” I couldn’t bring myself to part with it. So I went searching for another one to give him and this one is even cooler! :confused:

A 28 inch handle doesn't a boy’s axe make, harrumph!

Just kidding, that Warren is terrific!

What didn’t follow me home today was the 3 ¾ pound Collins Legitimus Connie that I got outbid on…

I feel that stinging here.
Takes the wind right out of you sometimes...there will be another...what little consolation that provides lol!

Was it stamped Hartford, Collinsville or simply Legitimus with the crown & hammer?

Sometimes those auctions get a little crazy and not buying and or adding to the frenzy is the best way to keep your head, and money lol!

What didn’t follow me home today was the 3 ¾ pound Collins Legitimus Connie that I got outbid on…
I'm sorry Aaron... I hate losing an auction so I feel for you man. I always wonder if I'm bidding against one of us. I decided to go reasonably high on it due to the relatively intact word legitimus under the crown. And the overall dimensions mean it's not worn much. I'm only bidding on one more axe at the moment. But I'm not changing my maximum bid on that one so I'm sure I'll lose it!

This is curious to me. I hate driving up the price of an item or having to watch something I want escalating in price over the auction period. I don’t have any software or apps but I only ever snipe auctions. If I bid on something I only do it once with 1 second left. I pick where I want to be on it and if someone wins with a final second bid that beats it then so be it.

Sometimes it leaves me forever wishing I had bid just a little more but I’m both too compulsive and competitive to be in a bidding war like that. This is why I don’t get in online arguments. I’m just like “We’ll fuck it, I guess I’m not going to work today, let’s get into it.”

Last edited:
I feel that stinging here.
Takes the wind right out of you sometimes...there will be another...what little consolation that provides lol!

Was it stamped Hartford, Collinsville or simply Legitimus with the crown & hammer?

Sometimes those auctions get a little crazy and not buying and or adding to the frenzy is the best way to keep your head, and money lol!

It was marked:
THE COLLINS CO.
COLLINVILLE, CONN
with the crown, arm, and hammer logo to the right.

This is curious to me. I hate driving up the price of an item or having to watch something I want escalating in price over the auction period. I don’t have any software or apps but I only ever snipe auctions. If I bid on something I only do it once with 1 second left. I pick where I want to be on it and if someone wins with a final second bid that beats it then so be it.

Sometimes it leaves me forever wishing I had bid just a little more but I’m both too compulsive and competitive to be in a bidding war like that. This is why I don’t get in online arguments. I’m just like “We’ll fuck it, I guess I’m not going to work today, let’s get into it.”
I watched a sharpening stone go for almost 550 a couple of weeks ago when it had a buy it now price of 175 that went away when someone threw a minimum bid at it. Funny stuff, and I was tempted at first but just couldn't justify it.

I am like several of the gang here. My skin is too thin to get into a bidding war or argue online. I bid the amount I am willing to pay from the start and rarely ever look again. Most times I forget that I have bid until my email blows up as the auction draws to an end. I “got my feelings” hurt years ago on a trapping forum. Typical online expert stated that a post I had made was incorrect. Problem was that I hadn’t stated my opinion. I had posted the measurements of a trap’s jaws when opened or set. I had measured it with a tape measure. I realized then that I use these forums for enjoyment. I can argue at work. That is why I have hung here so long. Very little drama, I love to “cut up” but it has been said before, there is a lot of meaning lost when posting-online. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the pics and commentary on the rusty gold we covet.

Same. With big desire I use the mobile app and I've got gigabit fiber to home with really low latency and a decent sense of timing, so my snipes often but not always work out. I figure eBay is getting them around last second. Sometimes I'm surprised when nobody else bids on an item, I always figure there's someone waiting in the wings as I am. If it's something not that important, putting in how much I'm willing to pay and set it/forget it.

And same as others are saying about arguing online being inane. I'm at the point where I take the internet as white noise and only tune into what I intend to (for the most part). There's just so much noise, got to keep focused otherwise it's like a social mosh pit. Which is why I hate it when somebody rolls in here already swingin.

Looking at it now, you guys are right. I shouldn't have done that. At the time I was frustrated with the auction and with the fact I'd spent 3 4-10 hour days working on prepping a door for a patch panel, botching it up several times, totally messing it up, then figuring out I could use a different and much nicer door I had that required a much simpler fix I hadn't thought of. Also, I too hate it when someone joins this awesome site and then begins insulting all of you and telling you guys that you are wrong and a bunch of wusses for not shrugging off his continual insults. I hope I didn't come across as one of those guys waiting to be set off.

Not at all mate! I didn't detect anything in your posts that was ill-mannered at all. Just a different perspective. That said, things in our lives certainly slip into our demeanors at times, just part of being human. I know I, for one, can certainly be an a-hole at times!

I've been "treat yo self"ing this summer for personal reasons. I've had some big splurges, but I figure hey I'm not spending it on a woman, f it. I get something that I treasure highly and something I got I get to pour myself into for a while (filing, hanging, etc). It's a win-win, good for my mental health, the only lose is in the ol' bank account. But I'm financially okay, and that's good enough for me at the moment. Absolutely the best purchases that I have made on eBay have been buy it now, before somebody else stumbles upon it.

Back