It followed me home (Part 2)

Not sure what I got yesterday but I couldn't walk away from it. I haven't taken a brush to it yet but I can't see any markings and the handle appears to be the original. There are traces of red paint and it appears to have 6 eye ridges. The guy I got it from appeared to be well into his 70's and he said he had owned it since he was young enough to "swing it all day"
Any ideas what it is?

Not sure what I got yesterday but I couldn't walk away from it. I haven't taken a brush to it yet but I can't see any markings and the handle appears to be the original. There are traces of red paint and it appears to have 6 eye ridges. The guy I got it from appeared to be well into his 70's and he said he had owned it since he was young enough to "swing it all day"
Any ideas what it is?
I don't think I've seen one quite like that before. It looks interesting and useful. Especially if it has a large eye which it appears to have. Can you measure the length and width of the top of the eye?
It's like a Hudson bay but better. Great score!

anfdmVC.jpg

Day one in hillsville for the swap meet, not the best haul for 150$ but they use almost exclusively 20's and 5's,
60 on the husqy splitter, 23 for the vice, 25 for the wrench and two side spokeshave, 20 for the James swan but roll, 15 for the Cooper's shave, 1 for the card scraper and 1 for the forge material, I mean uhh rasp

Any ideas what it is?

Here's a good one:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/axe-makers-of-the-hudson-bay-pattern.1457061/

Any ideas what it is?

There likely aren’t any marking but there might be ridges in the eye.

I don't think I've seen one quite like that before. It looks interesting and useful. Especially if it has a large eye which it appears to have. Can you measure the length and width of the top of the eye?
It's like a Hudson bay but better. Great score!
The OAL of axe and handle is 26 1/2" and the eye is approximately 2 1/16" x 11/16"

There likely aren’t any marking but there might be ridges in the eye.
It appears to have 6 eye ridges.

Thanks for the great replies and information everyone!

anfdmVC.jpg

Day one in hillsville for the swap meet, not the best haul for 150$ but they use almost exclusively 20's and 5's,
60 on the husqy splitter, 23 for the vice, 25 for the wrench and two side spokeshave, 20 for the James swan but roll, 15 for the Cooper's shave, 1 for the card scraper and 1 for the forge material, I mean uhh rasp
Great haul for one day at Hillsville. I've been going for as long as I can remember and yesterday was probably the least productive day I've ever had. Part of it could have been my practicing self restraint and part of it was a lower than average number of vendors. We're heading back tomorrow undaunted by the first day.

I dont have Hudson Bay of any maker, however i do have a true temper woodsman hatchet.
It also has the ridges...
And a metal wedge.

20190831-115243.jpg

Had a nice crispy pole left to it...even with the blows it took in stride.

20190831-115311.jpg

This one still on my todo list for my Kelly / true temper / ridges collection

I wonder If under multiple layers of red paint I find any maker's marks. Time will tell :)

Any ideas what it is?
Looks like Woodslaher (I had impression that for Hudson Bay Boy's Axe, TT head was a little bit too heavy in comparison to Collins/Norlund ones and just slightly lighter than my FSS TT Boy's Axe)

Edit
Just checked my numbers ..... The head is actually heavier than TT FSS Boy's Axe
2 1/2lbs vs 2 1/4 lbs

Last edited:
Pretty good haul for me today! Especially considering I just worked all day and didn't even go anywhere except to work and back! A very nice older gentleman who I do work for went to an auction today. Got me 7 axes, 3 ice tongs, 2 crosscut saws and more stuff that I can
list!
RcvElKW.jpg
ax72MxF.jpg
TUWw1jN.jpg

Nicest of all is an E&S 3-1/4lb wedge made in 1939. Weighs #3-3.8oz.
b70EYjj.jpg

1udSB0c.jpg

Another neat thing is a case hardened wrench. It's much nicer looking in daylight.
9sEBTF2.jpg
irUI0JB.jpg

I've never seen anything marked "pexto" AND PS&W!
s56QmFM.jpg

Must've been during the name transition period to help with the pexto name recognition?
There's a bunch of neat stuff but it's way too much for one post. Man am I stoked! He asked $115 for it to recover what he spent and I happily gave him some extra. What a nice thing to do! I've helped him a lot over the years so he does what he can to help me too. "Help" as in fill my already over-full house! Haha. More pics tomorrow. Take care!

Pretty good haul for me today! Especially considering I just worked all day and didn't even go anywhere except to work and back! A very nice older gentleman who I do work for went to an auction today. Got me 7 axes, 3 ice tongs, 2 crosscut saws and more stuff that I can
list!
RcvElKW.jpg
ax72MxF.jpg
TUWw1jN.jpg

Nicest of all is an E&S 3-1/4lb wedge made in 1939. Weighs #3-3.8oz.
b70EYjj.jpg

1udSB0c.jpg

Another neat thing is a case hardened wrench. It's much nicer looking in daylight.
9sEBTF2.jpg
irUI0JB.jpg

I've never seen anything marked "pexto" AND PS&W!
s56QmFM.jpg

Must've been during the name transition period to help with the pexto name recognition?
There's a bunch of neat stuff but it's way too much for one post. Man am I stoked! He asked $115 for it to recover what he spent and I happily gave him some extra. What a nice thing to do! I've helped him a lot over the years so he does what he can to help me too. "Help" as in fill my already over-full house! Haha. More pics tomorrow. Take care!

That is a massively great score. Mighty kind neighbor you have befriended as well.
I think you are correct about the dbl stamping of PEXTO during a company change over of ownership. Not that I have found any evidence but its plausible.

Last edited:
Back