It followed me home (Part 2)

Last edited:
I finally got a puget sound. 1945 Sager Chemical. 12 3/4" with 4" bits. I can't wait to put this on a proper handle.
73247864_2699632246754916_405360087138304000_o.jpg

Stopped at a local junk store today and they had a keen Kutter Michigan single bit head for 10 bucks. Has the big keen Kutter logo on one side. The pole was mushroomed but that’s not a deal breaker obviously. The problem is the eye was bent from all the pounding it has done which could make it difficult to get a good hang. What are you guys’ thoughts on this.

npace, A17 gave you some solid advice on straightening an eye. There are some posts on here detailing the process. I was very apprehensive as I was working on a Sager Cruiser double bit with a "warped" eye. The only advice I would add is you might consider practicing on an ax that you don't care that much about to make sure you have the right tools and I also recommend a helper. An extra set of hands would come in mighty handy. Good luck and keep us posted.

The only advice I would add is you might consider practicing on an ax that you don't care that much about to make sure you have the right tools and I also recommend a helper. An extra set of hands would come in mighty handy. Good luck and keep us posted.
Now where's the fun in that? True fun involves cursing the facts that you are 5 extra hands short, you may have just made a basic screw-up, and you're using mostly improvised tools. Those memories will last forever, but you won't remember calmly working with good tools and an assistant. I fondly remember my brother swinging an 8lb sledge inches away from my fingers as they were busy holding a broad axe head on a work bench that was doubling as an anvil. Such memories can't be duplicated.

Fortunately.

The seller purchased it at a swap meet in Europe in the 1960's. It's been with him ever since, although it's history before him is unknown. It's very unusual for these parts. It weighs 57lb, retains excellent rebound and is in great shape.

IMG_20191106_190638 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20191106_190653 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20191106_190722 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20191106_190709 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20191106_190703 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20191107_064228 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Last edited:
A17, you are dead on right, my brother was supposed to help me straighten the eye but he drifted off. I started out real cautious as I didn’t want to get the bits hot. By the time it was over I had thrown caution to the wind and had run through every curse word in my vocabulary. I must have done a decent job. I have split a bunch of hickory and oak with the Sager with no ill effects.

npace, A17 gave you some solid advice on straightening an eye. There are some posts on here detailing the process. I was very apprehensive as I was working on a Sager Cruiser double bit with a "warped" eye. The only advice I would add is you might consider practicing on an ax that you don't care that much about to make sure you have the right tools and I also recommend a helper. An extra set of hands would come in mighty handy. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks. I do have the right tools to do it. I have been thinking about it the last couple days, and even though I live within 2 hours of St. Louis, the home of Keen Kutter, the axes with the big E.C. Simmons logo are fairly hard to come by around here for a reasonable price. So at $10 I can’t go wrong. I will stop back by the store and pick it up bring it home and keep you guys posted.

JB great haul!
I like that saw vise top right! Is that a hunk of dark walnut?
A couple connies in the middle...
Really great gathering
That vice was the first thing I noticed too! I already have two and I've got to save my pennies. Oh except for this...
XrPLGES.jpg

I purchased this Rinaldi Trento pattern on a curved haft custom designed by 42blades.
I am IMPRESSED! A few pics of it was when I purchased it;
mfTM6fQ.jpg

S9TmwWR.jpg

HsBZF2v.jpg

Apparently it's 58 HRC and I can attest to that! I spent several hours at least last evening with my diamond stones and honed it razor sharp. Also worked on getting some of those scratches from finishing out although I had to give up! At least by hand anyway. If it's getting more polish it's going to have to be with a power tool.
Here's a few honed but prior to sanding and blo;

O3Omv8H.jpg
RTg0msE.jpg

This is a light swing into tough, old paper birch.
KqkKbZQ.jpg

Was hardly trying! It is sticky because it's so thin but once you figure out it's idiosyncrasies it's a pleasure to use.
The hickory is first rate and high quality. Here's a few pics of the grain after oiling;
dVSKClL.jpg

zsVkAUs.jpg

uZZ6Y3O.jpg

8f1RkUb.jpg

This axe may not excel at everything but, with the proper balance of that curved haft, it can do anything you need it to. (except splitting). I think it's good looking and the steel and helve are awesome! Thanks for showing it to me 42blades when I came down to purchase the flying fox. I would not have purchased this had I not seen it and felt it in person. I was intrigued. Now I'm impressed! Take care all!
783fFQ8.jpg

Back