It followed me home (Part 2)

935-F6-FDF-0-CB2-41-F6-89-E9-39-C57-D014-F97.jpg
Love the TT Puget Sound. One day I will find the right one.

This is cool because I got it from my dad. When visiting him he said he had an old pulaski from when he was a forest ranger, he even knew when! In 1972 they fought a big fire with lots of volunteers and at the end of the season when he inventoried his truck it was extra, so they told him to keep it.
It’s been sitting outside in Nevada.
5-F7-F25-E9-B8-F0-4017-B267-F386-CAF603-B0.jpg

Love the TT Puget Sound. One day I will find the right one.
I just cleaned it up with my dad’s pulaski! I blackened the PSF and wedge I have a 42” haft I plan to hang it on.
0-F8-FC9-A5-D915-4-D40-880-A-9-F0-ACCF07-A12.jpg

61-A1-C68-A-8-C93-4645-BB38-B0109-F721-F2-D.jpg

This is cool because I got it from my dad. When visiting him he said he had an old pulaski from when he was a forest ranger, he even knew when! In 1972 they fought a big fire with lots of volunteers and at the end of the season when he inventoried his truck it was extra, so they told him to keep it.
It’s been sitting outside in Nevada.
5-F7-F25-E9-B8-F0-4017-B267-F386-CAF603-B0.jpg

I just cleaned it up with my dad’s pulaski! I blackened the PSF and wedge I have a 42” haft I plan to hang it on.
0-F8-FC9-A5-D915-4-D40-880-A-9-F0-ACCF07-A12.jpg

61-A1-C68-A-8-C93-4645-BB38-B0109-F721-F2-D.jpg

"None more black!"

It's a particularly pretty lathing hatchet, that Smart.

Here's a couple ebay gets. 11.5" edge, 7.75lb L & I J White broad. Cavernous eye. Interesting shape. Lots of steel, nice and hard. Will be a user, eventually. I'm excited to hang this and file it.

And a 4.75lb Bradley. Very excited about this one. I can't quite make out what the poll says after steel. Could it say steel "pole"? It's such a refined implement. The finishing that went into this is incredible. I will hang it, but I don't think I'll file it. This one feels like every bit of the bit should be preserved. God knows I want to, though.

View attachment 1221194 View attachment 1221193 View attachment 1221195 View attachment 1221196 View attachment 1221197

Looked, it does in fact have a steel poll. Sorry, steel "pole." Wowsa

Lemme take a pic.

Eta: pics. You can see the right side clearly, and kind of on the stamped side.
20191029_013335-1054x791.jpg 20191029_013826-1507x1507.jpg

Last edited:
How late were companies(any companies) making ice saws? I purchased an nos saw painted white on a repaired Ames handle yesterday. It's in brand new condition with perfectly consistent filing and set. 48" blade.
D7D3Hfv.jpg

The pencil line was from someone making a wooden protector for the cutters.
vvwFKYK.jpg
OxpQWri.jpg

I notice it has the rectangular opening for the old style shim attachment.
iYxXm4e.jpg

No 19 handle;
Y0W42c0.jpg

Also a 48" disston. Not your typical perforated lance tooth. This is patent ground and a skew back. I haven't dated the medallion yet but this is a quality old saw;
8xCLzC1.jpg
4Gq9g9J.jpg
nY8yHEz.jpg

The older gentleman I bought these from lamentably left them IN THE RAIN for week before I got a chance to stop by. I'm sure our wore this sticker off... pretty sure Atkins?
QBJzKcg.jpg
4F6J3w9.jpg

Some yahoo had this handle tightened between two of the starter teeth on the Disston. It didn't damage it too badly thankfully. I'm excited to look for an etch! It's certainly a different style of lance tooth from what I'm used to seeing. A little research is in order... Have a good one!
fH6nIFl.jpg

Last edited:
Picked these up today, anyone able to give me an idea on what brand of axe the double bit is? Can only find the weight. Also does anyone have info on the hammer one I can’t seem to find anything online
Pw4DW3J.jpg
L9CogzL.jpg
4fmYStR.jpg
Y8XgRGU.jpg
Are you, by any chance located in Canada?
If so, my GUESS would be Mastercraft line of axes made for Canadian Tire. Because of that straight line discoloration I suspect the head was made by Vaughan.
mastercraft-cruiser-double-bit-axe_1_b42f9fde5ede99107900bb54f07ed5b5.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mastercraft-cruiser-double-bit-axe-1941958102
Nice killing axe (Campbell's XXX Tool St. John New Brunswick ?)
More info here https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/axes-with-hardened-poll.1450405/page-3#post-16736933

Last edited:
I'll be awhile living this one down...
While I haven't quite been working my fingers to the bone they're getting there! Almost no fingerprints left from so many roofs this year. So I figured what's the point in making good money if you don't splurge once in awhile. (Once or twice a year) lol. Plus @Flint 77 and I made trade too!
yZjS8uQ.jpg

cAbcsXf.jpg

This has an overlaid bit and the bevels do match a bunch of other clippers I've found online.
ZJu7Q3p.jpg

Now if someone could just explain Kelly stamping an 8 into the off side that'd be great!
uYscD0h.jpg

w6oZlak.jpg
I6Vr0zi.jpg

Even though I'll need to file the dings out I'm very pleased with it. I have the PERFECT haft ready for it...
This next axe shouldn't be over shadowed though! I traded my Beatty fire axe for this Vaughn tropical hardwood db with a 32" house handle. This has some really neat geometry and I quite like it!
QTrZgT2.jpg

7Fz9Bcj.jpg

Measures 10-1/4" x 4-3/4" bits. An interesting axe!
Also you can see in the first pic a limited run Pacific North West Tool Collectors club "depthing" gauge. Modeled at 1/3 scale after a 1909 Preston depthing gauge. 15725436463196669071047468350357.jpg
15725436914376243068414578421648.jpg
Have a great afternoon all!

Went to the mailbox this morning and waiting for me was a USPO flat rate plastic package in a somewhat ball shape. Took it in and sliced open the bag and inside was a USPO flat rate plastic package in a somewhat ball shape. Sliced open that bag and inside was a USPO flat rate plastic package in a somewhat ball shape. Sliced open that bag and inside was a USPO flat rate plastic package in a somewhat ball shape. Russian Doll packing method?:rolleyes: Sliced open the fourth bag:

Yd52DnQ.jpg

Total length 11 inches, blade width 4 inches, and weight 2 lb 11.5 oz. A little clean up:

OCaxBsK.jpg

IFzeiLC.jpg

sCwlhOg.jpg

Leonard and Ichabod Jewett White
https://www.preservationready.org/Buildings/143PerryStreet

Bob

I'll be awhile living this one down...
While I haven't quite been working my fingers to the bone they're getting there! Almost no fingerprints left from so many roofs this year. So I figured what's the point in making good money if you don't splurge once in awhile. (Once or twice a year) lol. Plus @Flint 77 and I made trade too!
yZjS8uQ.jpg

cAbcsXf.jpg

This has an overlaid bit and the bevels do match a bunch of other clippers I've found online.
ZJu7Q3p.jpg

Now if someone could just explain Kelly stamping an 8 into the off side that'd be great!
uYscD0h.jpg

w6oZlak.jpg
I6Vr0zi.jpg

Even though I'll need to file the dings out I'm very pleased with it. I have the PERFECT haft ready for it...
This next axe shouldn't be over shadowed though! I traded my Beatty fire axe for this Vaughn tropical hardwood db with a 32" house handle. This has some really neat geometry and I quite like it!
QTrZgT2.jpg

7Fz9Bcj.jpg

Measures 10-1/4" x 4-3/4" bits. An interesting axe!
Also you can see in the first pic a limited run Pacific North West Tool Collectors club "depthing" gauge. Modeled at 1/3 scale after a 1909 Preston depthing gauge. View attachment 1223190
View attachment 1223192
Have a great afternoon all!
That Fulton Clipper is a holy grail axe for sure!

I found some pretty good stuff yesterday. Just a few things. Especially pleased with the "Wilson" C.STEEL 12" draw knife. Can't find any info in the Wilson mfg co. other than a few mentions of lawsuits near the turn of the century. This seems older than that to me though. All hand made n' forge welded.
b0XnD6w.jpg

RyWPKkX.jpg

gq7IBLf.jpg
Ly2TZMY.jpg
6BaAqi4.jpg
6jn2rlo.jpg

A 3/4" P.S.&W firmer chisel.
Q0vn9Y2.jpg

Flint Edge hatchet on the original stick.
YxaSkPs.jpg
sGJchFt.jpg

And last but not least a pair of nos Snow and Neally saw handles! I'm always on the lookout for S&N stuff so I'm glad to have these!
KwQ1ryR.jpg
S1ar2hC.jpg

Have a great day fellow axeheads!

Back