It followed me home (Part 2)

Ithinkverydeeply said>

[Chris Killinger of Killinger Leather n’ goat’s and stuff. He’s on IG and has an Etsy page (KillingerGear)
They are very slender, very nice.

7-DD3-F4-C4-F2-C7-49-BB-BFB8-BFA00-B0-BDABA.png

end quote]
Beautiful! Just beautiful!

Last edited:
Stopped at farmers market type place that has multiple shops inside to get some pretzels that I like. On the way to the little shop with the pretzels, I stopped at a little antique market they have in there. I'd been in there several times but usually don't see anything of interest.
Well today, I walk to the section with some outdoor type tools. There was a bench with a bunch of hatchets and right on top was this guy!

So, it obviously came home with me! I actually used to have one of these back in the early 90's. I'm pretty sure I lost it helping my dad cut firewood - I used to do the limbing with hatchets. I know I lost at least an estwing leather handle and the el lobo cutting wood. anyways, I still have the El Lobo sheath, obviously a perfect fit.

so now for the dilema. do I sell or not sell? If I were a smart man, I would obviously sell, especially if they are still fetching the prices I saw some sell for about a year ago. However, I'm not a smart man when it comes to money. The sheath was mine from 30 years ago, but would obviously increase the value if I were to sell. anyways, I'll think on it.

They also had a really sweet looking small True Temper Black Prince hatchet with a nice slim original fawns foot handle, a True Temper SPECIAL Welland vale hatchet that looked essentially new with original paper sticker and green paint, and a Plumb national pattern boy scout hatchet.

Stopped at farmers market type place that has multiple shops inside to get some pretzels that I like. On the way to the little shop with the pretzels, I stopped at a little antique market they have in there. I'd been in there several times but usually don't see anything of interest.
Well today, I walk to the section with some outdoor type tools. There was a bench with a bunch of hatchets and right on top was this guy!

So, it obviously came home with me! I actually used to have one of these back in the early 90's. I'm pretty sure I lost it helping my dad cut firewood - I used to do the limbing with hatchets. I know I lost at least an estwing leather handle and the el lobo cutting wood. anyways, I still have the El Lobo sheath, obviously a perfect fit.

so now for the dilema. do I sell or not sell? If I were a smart man, I would obviously sell, especially if they are still fetching the prices I saw some sell for about a year ago. However, I'm not a smart man when it comes to money. The sheath was mine from 30 years ago, but would obviously increase the value if I were to sell. anyways, I'll think on it.

They also had a really sweet looking small True Temper Black Prince hatchet with a nice slim original fawns foot handle, a True Temper SPECIAL Welland vale hatchet that looked essentially new with original paper sticker and green paint, and a Plumb national pattern boy scout hatchet.
What a find in the wild! Will you go back and get the Welland Vale and Black Prince for me please!?!

Got lucky guys! There's a barn gettin' cleaned out and I'm hoping to be invited next time. A nice old man I do carpentry for picked these up for me today. He said there's so much left it'll make your head spin!
ODundTM.jpg

The Fayette R Plumb mast axe and the Genuine Norland Voyageur are probably the most valuable. 100 bucks for all of them. $10 a piece isn't bad!
nFDEuRi.jpg

va2IasC.jpg
7aelhDL.jpg

A wedge pattern legitimus. Pretty sure Hartford. Has a really worn toe but I'm just happy to have the stamp.
0xEGI6z.jpg

This was made by Emerson Stevens but I think it's a TBA axe? It has the three diamonds. Stamped M (or W) and the year is 5?
ZQkpgEs.jpg

A Stanley 4 square house axe on a really nice haft;
HUbsEEr.jpg

TT Kelly Works half hatchet;
bWRYdve.jpg

And the pickaroon and double bit are both Snow and Neally. Can't wait to get these cleaned up... Starting NOW!
ziX0lgO.jpg

Last edited:
Got lucky guys! There's a barn gettin' cleaned out and I'm hoping to be invited next time. A nice old man I do carpentry for bought these for me today.
ODundTM.jpg

The Fayette R Plumb mast axe and the Genuine Norland Voyageur are probably the most valuable. 100 bucks for all them.
nFDEuRi.jpg

va2IasC.jpg
7aelhDL.jpg

A wedge pattern legitimus. Pretty sure Hartford. Has a really worn toe but I'm just happy to have the stamp.
0xEGI6z.jpg

This was made by Emerson Stevens but I think it's a TBA axe? It has the three diamonds. Stamped M (or W) and the year is 5?
ZQkpgEs.jpg

A Stanley 4 square house axe on a really nice haft;
HUbsEEr.jpg

TT Kelly Works half hatchet;
bWRYdve.jpg

And the pickaroon and double bit are both Snow and Neally. Can't wait to get these cleaned up... Starting NOW!
ziX0lgO.jpg
Good find. Looks like you’ll be busy between cleaning all those up and the 12 handles in your last post.

A casual inquiry brought me this home. I'm smitten, to be honest. It's a Wetterlings (duh) Carpenter's hatchet, some call it a Hjartum but I don't know if that's technically correct. But it's just perfect. I left the dings in the toe just in the interest of saving steel in something that's going to be used anyway.

Filed, stoned, stropped. Sanded, oiled, spanked the butt and sank the wedge(s) a touch.

Eta: The was some mild red oxide that was easy with a brass brush. Also came with mask.

20191120_200143-1512x2016.jpg 20191120_195752-1409x1969.jpg 20191120_195624-1248x2002.jpg 20191120_200042-1205x1137.jpg 20191120_195844-1437x819.jpg

A casual inquiry brought me this home. I'm smitten, to be honest. It's a Wetterlings (duh) Carpenter's hatchet, some call it a Hjartum but I don't know if that's technically correct. But it's just perfect. I left the dings in the toe just in the interest of saving steel in something that's going to be used anyway.

Filed, stoned, stropped. Sanded, oiled, spanked the butt and sank the wedge(s) a touch.

Eta: The was some mild red oxide that was easy with a brass brush. Also came with mask.

View attachment 1236239 View attachment 1236238 View attachment 1236240 View attachment 1236241 View attachment 1236242
I can see why you like it. Has lots of character and looks very capable.
Plus it just looks cool with all the touch marks and added poll. Nice find man!
Can that round step wedge help you date it roughly? I seem to recall that they stopped using steel step wedges at some point. Don't remember when but due to that I think it's older.
I may be wrong about that. I know there's a fella or two around here that would know however!

I have no idea how old it is, but this thing is absolutely wonderful. The construction is 3 times better than anything I've seen from the recent big Bruks, neither make anything reallly like this anymore. I have a HB Akka, had a GB small forest axe, and this thing just makes them look like toys. I can tell you filing it, it is doesn't feel like it will compete with classic American steel. I don't think many people understand how much collective knowledge went into the development and selection of golden era American axe steel, outside this particular forum. In other respects this thing is just perfect for camp use. It's like a rigging axe times two, with a squashed pole and generally cool looking appearance. I'm really happy to have come across it. I'm real sweet on it.

The GB I keep is the outdoor axe. The name is misleading, it's a micro. But man that thing just works. It punches way above its weight class for fire making and light gathering duties.

It's a Wetterlings (duh) Carpenter's hatchet, some call it a Hjartum but I don't know if that's technically correct.

It Is correct,it's a Hjartum pattern,though not from that region and not from that forge where Skog,Johnsson and Pearson(i probably misspelled those:)) made this type famous.

It's a beautiful carpenter's axe.Boatbuilder's axe,really,for some precise,scalpel-like work!:)
I think it will be a great joy to use,good choice!:)

It Is correct,it's a Hjartum pattern,though not from that region and not from that forge where Skog,Johnsson and Pearson(i probably misspelled those:)) made this type famous.

It's a beautiful carpenter's axe.Boatbuilder's axe,really,for some precise,scalpel-like work!:)
I think it will be a great joy to use,good choice!:)

That's good to hear. These mid size axes that were used for constructing things are great for building primitive furniture and roughing in shapes. I love the American felling axe in general, but I'm quite fond of an old HB Vermlands I have for my more common camp tasks. I think this is going to find a similar soft spot in my heart for general outdoor utility use, as well as the ever increasing amount of crafting I do with axes. Hopefully someday soon here with homebuilding.

Fmont,here's a video that does a decent job illustrating the use of such axes as yours:
It's an interesting "combination" tool;it kinda covers a lot of ground-from fairlyheavy waste removal to rather fine paring action...(one can see why convexity of blade has never really found place in those cultures with these kind of chores-the bulge would get in the way...).
I believe that these types of chores/requirements/purposes is what created,shaped these tools.just like later,the necessity to fell large trees in the New World has made the convex cheeks a proper expedient...
Similarly,the chore-appropriate hardness would also probably develop and become an important part of the overall equation...

Back