It followed me home (Part 2)

I came across this little broad axe on my way home today. Might be a worthwhile project. I picked up maybe 25-30 swamping patterns but put them all down. This pitted broad axe sort of spoke to me. Wasn't priced as a prize so it jumped in the truck with me.

Little.hew

Little.hew
That is a cool looking broad axe! It's going to take a lot of work to get those pits out though... The normal difficulty of getting through the oxidation layer is compounded due to the depth of the pits. My first broad axe looked similar to that and took me hours and hours to get the pits out near the cutting edge.
I'm sure it'll be worth it though. That would look really neat with the a highly polished edge with all the pits everywhere else! Cool find man!
Here's mine after all that work...(you can see one knick where I didn't have the will to keep going, I've since fixed it)
20181121_101907.jpg 20181121_101957.jpg
Really looking forward to seeing yours with a nice working edge on it!

Last edited:
20 bucks.Followed an ad about 5 dollar axes that were all crap and a crazy old lady tried to give me the entire garage.Think it was around 16 for the true temper they sell them for 20 and they had a sale going.

If US made then those needle nose Vise-Grips are a score. Super useful tool.

I buy any of the US made Vise-Grips I find if they're reasonably priced. Irwin bought them out and moved production from Nebraska to China.

Yes sir,been the best couple of weeks ever for vise grips bet a half dozen of the old ones and a couple newer.Those are the smallest needle nose vise grips ive seen and they are american made.Use a smaller size needle nose often for taking heads off handles,lock them onto a hunk then use a regular size pair around the jaws and pry up with a claw.Works good sometimes.

Three of these arrived in the mail (the axes) and I've had some of the other stuff for a week or so.
cPBz0FR.jpg

The Dunlap connie weighs #3-15.7oz and measures 7-1/4" x 5-1/4"
9B6Ac9C.jpg

This one was labeled as a paper label Rogers. I haven't figured it out for sure but will try to compare what's left of the sticker to known examples later. It weighs #3-8.5oz and is also 7-1/4" x 5-1/4". Stamped 32.
Dtl77Tc.jpg

I had to have a KP that wasn't a Jersey! 7" x 4-5/8". I'll weigh it later after I remove the remnants of the old haft.
VRlTVqh.jpg

You can clearly see the patent # which I thought was cool;
ueGsxnQ.jpg

35" sequatchie shipwrights adze haft. The grain is so completely horizontal I'm thinking this was done deliberately. It does have bad runout, obviously, which can't be good? Perhaps it flexes more with horizontal grain.
YiIaAsf.jpg

Cost either $2.35 or $1.74 new. I'm not sure which?
sZ3MZNu.jpg

I couldn't pass up the awesome grain on this 35" Truper haft. Almost perfect with minimal runout.
S2KVYpK.jpg

A nice old inclinometer;
cEoQnxz.jpg

And lastly I believe this is an old Stanley depth gauge though it isn't marked as such. Only has the patent date on it.
CnuXgM9.jpg

20191206_132106.jpg
Haven't posted here in awhile. These will keep me busy for a little bit! Thanks guys!

Three of these arrived in the mail (the axes) and I've had some of the other stuff for a week or so.
cPBz0FR.jpg

9B6Ac9C.jpg

This one was labeled as a paper label Rogers. I haven't figured it out for sure but will try to compare what's left of the sticker to known examples later. It weighs #3-8.5oz and is also 7-1/4" x 5-1/4". Stamped 32.
Dtl77Tc.jpg

I had to have a KP that wasn't a Jersey! 7" x 4-5/8". I'll weigh it later after I remove the remnants of the old haft.
VRlTVqh.jpg

ueGsxnQ.jpg

35" sequatchie shipwrights adze haft. The grain is so completely horizontal I'm thinking this was done deliberately. It does have bad runout, obviously, which can't be good? Perhaps it flexes more with horizontal grain.
YiIaAsf.jpg

sZ3MZNu.jpg

I couldn't pass up the awesome grain on this 35" Truper haft. Almost perfect with minimal runout.
S2KVYpK.jpg

A nice old inclinometer;
cEoQnxz.jpg

And lastly I believe this is an old Stanley depth gauge though it isn't marked as such. Only has the patent date on it.
CnuXgM9.jpg

View attachment 1244648
Haven't posted here in awhile. These will keep me busy for a little bit! Thanks guys!

'Indian Fire' was Sequatchie's lowest grade handle. That's why the grain and runout.

You can see the horrible runout here;
15756984208661202432621633898378.jpg
Slices right up through the first curve, naturally, given the shape and the grain orientation.
1575698563998789549151706971299.jpg
I have literally no experience using an adze. But from what I see of others using them it doesn't appear that there's all that much power involved. So perhaps it won't be an issue after all.
I know that the axes I've used on helves with horizontal grain feel more flexible than verticality oriented ones.
That's good to know S Square_peg thanks for mentioning that about the grade.
I wish I'd known that prior to dumping 55 bucks on it!! :confused:Oh well live 'n learn. :D

cPBz0FR.jpg

9B6Ac9C.jpg

Dtl77Tc.jpg

VRlTVqh.jpg

ueGsxnQ.jpg

YiIaAsf.jpg

sZ3MZNu.jpg

S2KVYpK.jpg

A nice old inclinometer;
cEoQnxz.jpg

CnuXgM9.jpg

View attachment 1244648

Great scores on the Rogers (i think its a Roger's from the remnants of the label), and the Dunlap connies.
I noticed those and several others that seller had listed...its awesome to see you grabbed a couple. Good stuff.

Sadly i noticed the Kelly Finest in the oval, had dinner came back and it was gone...several days ago and i still have regrets lol!

Have a great weekend axe lovers!! :cool::thumbsup:

It's a pattern at least, and I like the shape.
Thanks! I like the shape too. And the sticker I must admit. I got it for my plumb;
1575735479664176092939177174887.jpg
Normally I remove the stickers and save them in wax paper. But this one is totally out of the way in use so I can leave it on there.
Great scores on the Rogers (i think its a Roger's from the remnants of the label), and the Dunlap connies.
I noticed those and several others that seller had listed...its awesome to see you grabbed a couple. Good stuff.

Sadly i noticed the Kelly Finest in the oval, had dinner came back and it was gone...several days ago and i still have regrets lol!

Have a great weekend axe lovers!! :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks Miller... Sorry you missed out... Do you recognize what's left of the label? Do you have an example of one? I've been looking and can only find an SJS Rogers label that doesn't at all match the remnants on mine. Due to the weight stamp, placement and font I'm pretty sure that it's a Mann edge tool made axe. Which does fly in the face of it being a Rogers unless they had Mann making axes for them at some point. I'm not sure!
The label appears to have a red and white border with white on the outermost edge and a night sky with a small star in the top left. And possibly a white shield comprising about the top right 1/3 of the label. These are guesses though...
15757360834584104609493271011897.jpg 15757361125566864348053362971127.jpg
And the weight stamp. Note the flat top 3. Rogers used a round 3.
15757361910598446847426001234379.jpg
Lastly thanks Bob! You are always a dependable repository for valid info. Much appreciated.... I have this downloaded but I have so much I forget what I've got!

Thanks Miller... Sorry you missed out... Do you recognize what's left of the label? Do you have an example of one? I've been looking and can only find an SJS Rogers label that doesn't at all match the remnants on mine. Due to the weight stamp, placement and font I'm pretty sure that it's a Mann edge tool made axe. Which does fly in the face of it being a Rogers unless they had Mann making axes for them at some point. I'm not sure!
The label appears to have a red and white border with white on the outermost edge and a night sky with a small star in the top left. And possibly a white shield comprising about the top right 1/3 of the label. These are guesses though...
View attachment 1245189 View attachment 1245190
And the weight stamp. Note the flat top 3. Rogers used a round 3.
View attachment 1245191

Your picture enlargement is great. I want to say i see SJS in there. I also wonder if Rogers was still selling axes after '66 putting the contracts to Mann...my hunch always being Collins made the axe for Rogers.
Please let me know what you know especially if contradicts what i quickly put down or proves Rogers existence...lol!

I have literally no experience using an adze. But from what I see of others using them it doesn't appear that there's all that much power involved.

This is true. On the other hand, you'll be swinging it very close to your feet, something to consider if it fails.

I agree with Fmont in that if you choose to use it you should at least trace the pattern first. Modern versions aren't so nicely curved.

Maybe Bob has the full page of that Sesquatchie ad that shows Indian Fire at the bottom of the page as the lowest grade. I think I could dig it up from my desktop.

Back